College Tuition - Compensation for KIA

Toro

I forwarded on the request for donations to the family of the F-15E aircrew KIA and several people to whom I sent it forwarded to folks on their list. Somewhere prior to the sixth degree of separation, somebody shot back the following to one of my family members -

"when a man dies in combat his children are guaranteed college where ever they choose, (I believe) on the US government. I personally know of twins that went to college with XXX and XXX just told me of another family as well. So, this may really have happened, but this organization and credit card giving alarms me a bit."

I'm 99.69 percent positive this is BS. SGLI is all we've got and seeing as how the AF is trying to Force Shape guys who lose their legs in AF medical buffoonery, I seriously doubt the military would be getting college educations for everybody KIA (can you imagine how much they would be spending for the Army?). Before I go nuclear on the originator of this message, has anybody here heard anything that would be remotely related to what this person thinks they're talking about?

I've never heard of that...in the Rescue community, there's an organization called That Others May Live Foundation that does very similar things as the River Rat and Warrior foundations...I'm pretty sure these organizations wouldn't exist if the USG was already paying for the education of kids whose parents gave the ultimate sacrifice.

I forwarded on the request for donations to the family of the F-15E aircrew KIA and several people to whom I sent it forwarded to folks on their list. Somewhere prior to the sixth degree of separation, somebody shot back the following to one of my family members -

"when a man dies in combat his children are guaranteed college where ever they choose, (I believe) on the US government. I personally know of twins that went to college with ### and ### just told me of another family as well. So, this may really have happened, but this organization and credit card giving alarms me a bit."

I'm 99.69 percent positive this is BS. SGLI is all we've got and seeing as how the AF is trying to Force Shape guys who lose their legs in AF medical buffoonery, I seriously doubt the military would be getting college educations for everybody KIA (can you imagine how much they would be spending for the Army?). Before I go nuclear on the originator of this message, has anybody here heard anything that would be remotely related to what this person thinks they're talking about?

I think there may be something for children of Medal of Honor winners having a separate nomination category at Academies, but that's about it. Certainly no "guaranteed college on the USG".

I think going nuclear is the only option...

I think going nuclear is the only option...

Agreed. I asked around the office (Army Officers who have and still do deploy) and they all said they never heard of that.

It is true...to a point. The VA offers something called the Educational Assistance Allowance for trainees under the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA), which is lengthy title that basically says this:

DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Full-time students can receive up to $915.00 per month for 45 months while they are in school (according to the VA website). There are smaller payment plans for those not going full time. My cousins both attended Texas Tech tuition free (their father was killed in a training accident just after Vietnam).

So, college isn't necessarily all paid for (depending on where they go), but a large chunk would be. All the info is at the VA website under the Education tab.

Edited by nav-a-ho

Guest Cap-10

The other thing with the DEA is that it can only be used from 18-26 yrs of age, which pretty much rules out using it for a masters or doctorate. The $900 a month is a small chunk if the kids want to attend an Ivy league school. The VA also has the final say as to what they deem an "educational benefit". With the 529, the girls can use it where and when they want with no government oversight, and if they choose to not attend school, they pay a 10% penalty on the withdrawal and are free to buy a car or pit a down payment on a house.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Edited by Cap-10

The children of MoH recipients do get to go to the service academy of their choice, if they meet entry criteria.

The MSG/CC I worked for as a casual went to the AFA on this type of nomination. Father's MoH Citation

TITLE 32 - NATIONAL DEFENSE

SUBTITLE A - DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE

CHAPTER VII - DEPARTMENT OF THE AIR FORCE

SUBCHAPTER K - MILITARY TRAINING AND SCHOOLS

PART 901 - APPOINTMENT TO THE UNITED STATES AIR FORCE ACADEMY

subpart b - NOMINATION PROCEDURES AND REQUIREMENTS

901.13 - Children of Medal of Honor recipients category.

(a) The child of any Medal of Honor recipient who served in any branch of the Armed Forces may apply for nomination. If applicants meet the eligibility criteria and qualify on the entrance examinations, they are admitted to the Academy. Appointments from this category are not limited.

(b) The applicant applies directly to the Academy requesting a nomination in this category. The nominating period opens on May 1 and closes January 31. A suggested letter format is included in the precandidate packet.

Note: For the purpose of this category, children are defined as the natural children of a parent and adopted children whose adoption proceedings were initiated before their 15th birthday.