Pre-IFS minor surgery

Guest 09hendenem

Guest 09hendenem

I will be graduating from college this June, and have already received a pilot slot in the AF through AFROTC. As anyone who has gone the AFROTC route knows, long leave periods after graduation for pilot select guys such as me are not uncommon, and I'm no different - I don't EAD until December 18th. During my six months off, I was thinking about getting some minor surgery done to correct a couple of things while I'm waiting. First, I have a bunyon on my right foot that isn't especially painful, but it is annoying and inconvenient, and I would like to have it fixed before I start my AF career. Also, I broke my nose some time ago, and my septum is still deviated, which is also not a problem, but it is annoying. Both of these issues may become problematic down the road, and it would seem to make sense to get them fixed before I start pilot training. What would be your advice regarding these minor surgeries? I know both procedures are quite routine. I'm not exactly sure yet how my medical coverage will be set up after graduation, but that is another concern. Would getting my bunyon/deviated septum fixed before IFS be a good or bad idea? I have heard some people say waiting until I'm rated would be better. Your thoughts?

Not sure how to answer your question, but I did want to pass on that a guy in my UPT class had a BIG problem with airsickness. He threw up all through phase 2 and they figured out it was because he had a deviated septum (don't ask me why). So I don't know if you have had a problem with airsickness, but you might want to get it done. Don't forget that you have tricare while you wait to go active.

Not sure if that's the case anymore. When I commissioned last Dec...they told me to save my receipts and I'll be reimbursed when I finally go AD. So if it's still the same you'd need to have some dime to throw around (but you'll get it back).

If you need the surgery, they'll make sure that you get it. Also, it's a whole lot easier to get the surgery done as AD than it is to get reimbursed for it. Best to take health risks AFTER you have your wings.

When I commissioned in 07, the policy was that you (not your dependents though) had health benefits from the day you commissioned. I got sick and went to the base clinic about a month before I went active, and had no problem. Maybe it didn't matter because it was such a minor thing, but something you might want to check into more.

Not sure if that's the case anymore. When I commissioned last Dec...they told me to save my receipts and I'll be reimbursed when I finally go AD. So if it's still the same you'd need to have some dime to throw around (but you'll get it back).

LTs waiting to enter active duty are fully covered under Tricare Prime remote. The reimbursement policy is only if there are issues with the new LT being enrolled in DEERS and consequently not being able to enroll in Tricare. If you are in DEERS (and you should be) then there should be no problem with you enrolling in Tricare and receiving coverage for any medical care needed.

Guest 09hendenem
Not sure how to answer your question, but I did want to pass on that a guy in my UPT class had a BIG problem with airsickness. He threw up all through phase 2 and they figured out it was because he had a deviated septum (don't ask me why). So I don't know if you have had a problem with airsickness, but you might want to get it done. Don't forget that you have tricare while you wait to go active.

Was he able to get the problem fixed and resume pilot training? My dilemma is this: I don't want to have any complications with surgery, raise any red flags or otherwise do anything to jeopardize my flight spot. At the same time, I have six months off before I have to EAD, and I'd like to use the time productively. If there's any chance the septum would be a problem, I'd like to get it fixed ASAP just in case. Would that be fully covered by Tricare? Any flight surgeons out there that can weigh in? Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Was he able to get the problem fixed and resume pilot training?

He went through all of T-6s without having the surgery done. Like I said, he would still get airsick occasionally in formation. He graduated T-6s and is going through helo training at Rucker without any problems. Not sure on if it would be covered, but I'd assume it would be.