Hale Koa Hotel & the USS Arizona Memorial

Guest SPO

I just finished 4 years in Hawaii in 2008 and got to do the private launch several times with family. Highly recommend it. I think they only run 2 days a week on set times and you need to book early like a month out. I think they also limit you to only 4 members and you need to be in uniform, something like that. You don't have to deal with any lines at all and you get to view a small but very private museum by the launch as an added bonus. They take you out to the memorial and you go on it just like the main event. A little VIP treatment is always nice. If you go the typical tourist route, definitely get there early. If they open at 8, I'd be there no later than 0730 to get tickets. First come, first served. If you get there late morning, you might get tickets but would either have to wait a few hours or leave and come back. Definitely worth seeing however you go. Very moving and the intro film excellent. Have a great trip.

I'm more familiar with the west side (look at Kapalua to Kaanapali on googlemaps and that's the general area I always have stayed at). Airport Beach is a great reef for all levels of experienced divers. Being that you're new to diving, I'd highly recommend doing that dive a few times. I actually got certified there back in 99. I've seen everything there from the usual fish to huge eels, 2 manta rays (though that was on a deep dive w/ scooters), large squid (really cool to see in the ocean), octupus, turtles, etc. It's a great reef that you can stay at 20 FT or venture out further, depending on your comfort level. If anything, you guys could take a day down there, do a dive then have lunch on the beach, then do one more and get back to the North side for some pool time and dinner. It's the best dive for new divers, yet one that will be a good dive for very experienced divers...you don't have to worry about your husband being bored. Just watch the current and make sure you guys go against the current on the first 1/2 and drift w/ it the 2nd 1/2.

Also look into Lanai boat trips. All the dive shops will have some kind of 2 tank dive deal...boat leaving at 7am, come back at 3pm or something like that. However, plan this one early on in the week if possible b/c if the swells are too much there, the boat will go somewhere else b/c the vis will suck. You want to give yourself the option to reschedule for a day or two later (which most dive shops should be fine with since you're paying for Lanai). Great diving there as well and offers some really cool stuff (such as caverns with a lot of reef sharks) that you may not be into as a new diver (depending on how "aggressive" in nature you are), but I'm sure your husband would love. Talk to dive masters at the local shops for more detailed info.

One more great boat trip option is a boat trip that goes by Turtle Town. It's in about 75 ft of water with tons of green turtles. It was awesome to be around so many. I'd only seen two or three at a time before this dive and ended up seeing 20+ at a time here. Really cool and definitely worth it.

Guest Mack2004

I'd suggest going early if you go to Hanauma bay. As the day goes on and more people show up the water gets cloudy. I didn't notice it as much in person but it is very evident in the pictures I took that day.

Also, I don't think I've seen it mentioned yet, if you like shrimp at all you have to go to Giovanni's shrimp truck on the north shore. Amazing.