USAF Special Tactics article

Guest rapier01

Guest rapier01
Since when did USAF cops become comparable to SEALs and Green Berets? Damn, and I thought all they did was pull over officers for going 27 in a 25.

Those are Security Forces.

Oficial usaf Special Tactics page- they're not the same as the cops and do have their own TACPs.

http://www.afsoc.af.mil/specialtactics/index.asp

Guest rapier01
Was joking about our dumbass cops who use the acronym SF, the same as Green Berets.

Yep, its pretty gay.

Thanks for the info on TACPs. that must have been a fairly recent change (within last couple years). It probably has to do with funding issues and giving them better support than what ACC can do. I doubt they have changed from the black berets, though

Not as far as I know.

Guest SATCOM

The addition of TACP's to AFSOC occurred in Oct 2008. One unit, the 17th ASOS, was AFSOC gained. Not all TACP's are considered "SOF", and the previous comments are correct in that the majority of the career field is conventional (working solely with Big Army). The 17th ASOS has command of all TACP's that work with the Rangers and Special Forces.

Special tactics and SOF direct from af.mil

720 STG

The 720th Special Tactics Group (STG) is an integral part of the Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) and is home-based at Hurlburt Field, Fla. The Group is comprised of more than 800 Special Tactics (ST) combat controllers (CCT), pararescuemen (PJs), special operations weathermen (SOWT) and support personnel.

The bottom of your linked page shows that info is over two years old, so obviously won't account for recent changes.

Arg! What do you want then? Come down to HRT and ask someone in person. I don't even know what the question here is...

The author erroneously goes back and forth between TACP and CCT. STS members are typically a mixture of career fields (as the AF website states) where the teams can be farmed out to the units requiring the expertise in air power. In a team of 20 or so shooters, you likely have 2 or so STS guys with them. Most wear the scarlet or red beret of their PJ counterparts or gray berets (seen very few outside of that in my briefings when we do CFF training with them). As SATCOM said, most of the TACP career-field remains embedded with conventional army, while some units were absorbed into AFSOC due to the expansion of both the majcom and career field as well as the ever-present need for more JTACs to be trained up.

Guest SATCOM

"what color berets do the 17th ASOS wear?"

All TACP's (and their ALO's) wear the black beret. As commented, STS is a compilation of many AFSC's. The majority in a STS unit are the CCT's. The other part is Pararescue (PJ), and Special Operations Weather Team (SOWT). SOF TACP is a very recent addition, and this was accomplished because of the need for more JTAC's. Very rarely will all of these AFSC's go on a mission together, typically we send troops out in one/two man elements assigned to a SF team etc. That's (to me) the great thing about being in STS, the different agencies you work with. New teams, capabilities, missions, locations and support make for an interesting mission. In 2002, I ended up working with/for the following: DOS, OGA, Army, Navy, and Coalition.

Some USAFA cadets are authorized a lighter blue beret. As of Spring 2007, during the school year seniors wear the beret in BDUs with the Prop & Wings insignia on the flash. During the summer, those cadets designated as "cadet cadre" for programs like Basic Cadet Training or Recognition wear the same blue beret but with their cadet rank insignia on the flash. Not sure if the beret policy has changed since then, haven't been back.

I won't comment on whether it's :rainbow: or not, but that's the way it is. It's definitely not meant to de-value the wear of an "earned" beret like CCT or PJs have. Regardless, unless you were an AF cadet, AOC or instructor please keep editorial comments to yourself about what they do there. It's no better or worse than what you did, but it's certainly not yours to criticize.

Guest gonzo

"I don't even know what your outdated link is. If you don't know the question, why are you posting erroneous information? Sheesh. Are you working for China now or what? I'm surprised you didn't quote CNN or Al Jazeera as your source. "

This, plus the "Fox News isn't a credible source" comment.

What the hell is a credible source?

Stop being a douche.

I don't even know what your outdated link is. If you don't know the question, why are you posting erroneous information? Sheesh. Are you working for China now or what? I'm surprised you didn't quote CNN or Al Jazeera as your source.

Let's see, for my "outdated link" I went to hurlburt.af.mil, clicked on "Units," and went to 720 STG under the "Partner Units" section. If the information is outdated take that up with the Air Force (POC for that particular page can be reached at 850-884-4246).

My other suggestion was to come to HRT and ask someone in person; that should provide the current, up-to-the-second info you so badly desire. As for China, CNN or Al-Jazeera, I don't even know what the hell you're talking about so I'm gonna leave it at that.

Edited by nsplayr