Peaceniks Target Killer Drones

ClearedHot

UFB!!!

drone_protest2.jpg

For nearly 30 years, Father Louie Vitale -- a 76-year-old former Air Force navigator turned Franciscan monk and peace activist -- has traveled to the remote deserts of the Southwest to demonstrate against ... well, just about everything involving America's military. He's been thrown in jail for protesting the U.S. nuclear weapons complex, the wars in Iraq and the military's interrogation procedures, to name just a few of his more than 200 arrests. But these days, Vitale (pictured, fourth from left) and his fellow activists have a new target in the mountains and deserts north of Las Vegas: America's fleet of killer drones.

"We've been out there in that very desert, stopping nuclear testing, for over 30 years now," he tells Democracy Now. "All of a sudden, we noticed down the street ... all of these drones." At first, he thought they were just practice drones. "Then we find out that they're bombing and bombing and bombing in Afghanistan."

In Central Asia, the unmanned strikes on suspected militants have become one of the most controversial elements of the eight-year campaign against al Qaeda and the Taliban. Late last week, Pakistan's prime minister demanded that America hand over control of the drones operating in his country to the Islamabad government. The News of Pakistan accused the tele-operated aircraft of "perishing 687 innocent Pakistani civilians" in 60 separate strikes, while only "killing 14 wanted al Qaeda leaders."

But here in America, the unmanned attacks have gone on largely without protest. Even the professional activist types have largely ignored the robots and their military masters.

Last Thursday afternoon, however, Vitale and 13 other demonstrators marched into Nevada's Creech Air Force Base, where the military remotely pilots the unmanned aircraft that fly over Afghanistan and Iraq. They sat down, and began to sing and pray -- part of a 10-day vigil dubbed "Ground the Drones."

About an hour later, they were arrested by the State Police. At the activists' behest, the cops then drove them to Las Veags for booking. "When we were released on Good Friday morning, we did what any normal Christian would do," Vitale's compatriot, John Dear, writes. "We went back to the scene of the crime and continued to pray and speak out for an end to U.S. warmaking."

Dear then launches into a rather purple account about his detention, release and return to Creech -- just in time for a "Stations of the Cross" demonstration, he notes.

With 60 folks, we read and prayed through each modern-day station, learning how Jesus is condemned and crucified all over again in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan because of our weapons and wars. We prayed, sang and reflected along the towering chain fence of the military base — and were interrupted repeatedly by the drones flying overhead.

We saw with our own eyes that these drones are real, that our country is dead set on killing, that these weapons are no joke. We tried to take action, to say as Jesus said in the Garden of Gethsemani, "Stop, no more of this!" Tomorrow on Easter Sunday morning, we will gather for mass at the Nevada test site, then walk on to that military base to offer the risen Jesus' gift of resurrection peace and get arrested all over again. So it goes.

It must suck to live in Nevada and have to deal with all the hippies from San Francisco...

Anyone else have "Predator Eulogy" by Dos Gringos stuck in their head? I bet these hippies would like it.

UFB!!!

For nearly 30 years, Father Louie Vitale -- a 76-year-old former Air Force navigator turned Franciscan monk and peace activist -- has traveled to the remote deserts of the Southwest to demonstrate against ... well, just about everything involving America's military.

etc. etc. etc.

Even the professional activist types have largely ignored the robots and their military masters.

Damn...being a nav, a Catholic, and a firm believer that robots kick ass this story is deeply troubling...

Edited by nsplayr

Guest Smoke_Jaguar4

I dunno...

The chicks in the tan top and white sunglasses are kinda cute. This could be an easy score

"Yeah I flew those killer robots, but after seeing your protest I saw the light. We need to make love, not war"

Then the next morning kick them out of bed and get back to making a paycheck.

SJ4

I dunno...

The chicks in the tan top and white sunglasses are kinda cute. This could be an easy score

"Yeah I flew those killer robots, but after seeing your protest I saw the light. We need to make love, not war"

SJ4

Newsflash...Lesbo's! And not the kind you want to help you check that off life's To-do list.

I dunno...

SJ4

Umm... chick's who don't shave ANYTHING do not make my cute list, despite their body/face.

Guest warriorboy16
Too bad the title wasn't the other way around...

Killer Drones Target Peaceniks!

Now that would be cool!

Cheers! M2

haha 2

We saw with our own eyes that these drones are real, that our country is dead set on killing, that these weapons are no joke.

Haha, this sounds like a cool-aid line written by the Air Force Times!

Also, as a Catholic, I am constantly :banghead: at the contant anti-war attitude of the church in general. Not to derail, but anyone notice how different the tone of Mass is on base as compared to other parish's?

Haha, this sounds like a cool-aid line written by the Air Force Times!

Also, as a Catholic, I am constantly :banghead: at the contant anti-war attitude of the church in general. Not to derail, but anyone notice how different the tone of Mass is on base as compared to other parish's?

Ironic.

Exactly.

Holy cow...you guys must really hate the USA...they were doing horrible things to people less than 150 years ago, and didn't really change the official attitude till just a few decades ago...and here the Crusades are still brought up and they are over 800 years old. I guess ol Garth Brooks is right, "We bury the hatchet, but leave the handle sticking out"...

Institutional policies can change, ya know.

Holy cow...you guys must really hate the USA...they were doing horrible things to people less than 150 years ago, and didn't really change the official attitude till just a few decades ago...and here the Crusades are still brought up and they are over 800 years old. I guess ol Garth Brooks is right, "We bury the hatchet, but leave the handle sticking out"...

Institutional policies can change, ya know.

It's ironic how far left the church has swung considering it's past. In your opinion, which has had a greater impact on civiliazation, American slavery, or the crusades?

Of course I love my country, but that doesn't mean that I am not disturbed by the fact that Americans took land from natives in the name of "manifest destiny" and segregated according to race and gender.

I'm also Catholic. That doesn't mean that I agree with some of the policies of the Church, whether it was centuries ago, or today.

Burying the hatchet doesn't preclude knowing your history.

:M16: the hippies!!! Let them waste there time in the desert holding up signs to the few unfortunate base personel that have to go to work there.

As for the whole BS about the Crusades and land being taken from Native Americans...it is history, it happened, get over it. Yes it is history and we should be aware of it to prevent similar things from happening in the future. Next thing you know, we are going to have people asking for reparations for the damage caused to there family by the Crusades. War is an evil necessity in our evolution as humans. It would be bliss to live in a perfect world without it, but then our role in the military would not exist now would it.

TGIF :beer:

Mutt