am I gonna get canned?

summe32c

This is primarly aimed at the guard dudes..

Just recently I was hired by Lockheed as an engineering manager on the JSF..(which I am fukin stoked about, and dont want to "burn any bridges")with a start date of april 20. They know im in the guard, but what they dont know is that I just got selected for a pilot slot. I am not going to turn down the UPT slot. I have heard dudes saying "get your foot in the door then tell them your going to pilot training, and they will let you come back" My dates for AMS and UPT havent come out yet so im thinkin I have at least 6 months or so to work with lockheed. Anyone been through a similar situation??

I heard something about a relief act for soldiers or something, I am currently researching it....

Thanks dudes..

-summers

This is primarly aimed at the guard dudes..

Just recently I was hired by Lockheed as an engineering manager on the JSF..(which I am fukin stoked about, and dont want to "burn any bridges")with a start date of april 20. They know im in the guard, but what they dont know is that I just got selected for a pilot slot. I am not going to turn down the UPT slot. I have heard dudes saying "get your foot in the door then tell them your going to pilot training, and they will let you come back" My dates for AMS and UPT havent come out yet so im thinkin I have at least 6 months or so to work with lockheed. Anyone been through a similar situation??

I heard something about a relief act for soldiers or something, I am currently researching it....

Thanks dudes..

-summers

Definitely get you foot in the door, it can't hurt. Well, it can, but trying to get rehired 3 years from now might hurt too. Does the Guard want you to do 2 yrs active after finishing UPT like the Reserves? If so I would just tell them up front and see if they will hold the job for you. They may not like the idea have being down 1 engineer for several years.

Definitely get you foot in the door, it can't hurt. Well, it can, but trying to get rehired 3 years from now might hurt too. Does the Guard want you to do 2 yrs active after finishing UPT like the Reserves? If so I would just tell them up front and see if they will hold the job for you. They may not like the idea have being down 1 engineer for several years.

Also which Guard Unit? Fighters/Heavies? Not that it really matters but you may be considered biased towards the JSF at your unit and LM, then again I have ZERO back ground in the engineering/contracting/guard.

either way good luck

cheers :beer:

Guest palmettopilot
Also which Guard Unit? Fighters/Heavies? Not that it really matters but you may be considered biased towards the JSF at your unit and LM, then again I have ZERO back ground in the engineering/contracting/guard.

either way good luck

This would be a good question for your unit's ESGR rep

http://www.esgr.org/

either way good luck

Im goin fighters...specifically the Hog... oh yea.. giggity

Im goin fighters...specifically the Hog... oh yea.. giggity

Hmmm...Lockheed job, Hogs in the guard. I smell Martin's.

I have a buddy in the Army guard that was deployed 6mos after going to work for Homeland Security. They stuck him in a short-term admin slot for the first six months and told him he'd get to his real job when he got back from the desert. No problems. Legally, they have to hold your job for you while you're off in service of Uncle Sam.

Take the job. Drop military leave paperwork on them when your AMS dates come through. You are protected under the law.

A lot can happen between now and then so don't burn any bridges (God forbid...med DQ, unit closes, etc).

Guest L Unit
Yea, PM peolpe for advice. That way we can all learn from it!

Ok, Smarty Pants (or Mr. Pants, if you prefer). . .

First of all, I was pretty lazy last night at whatever time it was when I should have been in bed, so that was a cheap way to be involved without having to construct a post. So technically, you are correct, because I thought about that too.

Second of all, a PM would have allowed me to gather a little more information or to be a little more specific about what I did in that situation.

So, to everyone, including Tsummers:

Don't take food out of your mouth NOW for something that might happen LATER. As Bergman said, something can go wrong in the chain of events that lead to wings. Your employer is legally required to retain you if you have orders somewhere. However, if you don't have a piece of paper in hand, I don't know how susceptible you might be to a round of 'layoffs.' I think it depends on how much you like your boss and/or coworkers. If you wait for orders you might be dropping the "I'm leaving in two weeks for AMS and I might be leaving again two weeks after that but it could be months but I really don't know so you really can't count on me for any long-term projects."

Guest Scribe
Take the job. Drop military leave paperwork on them when your AMS dates come through. You are protected under the law.

A lot can happen between now and then so don't burn any bridges (God forbid...med DQ, unit closes, etc).

Best advice so far. I've seen this circumstance from both sides. If and when you get dates, let them know pronto. Hopefully, you will have enough time to establish yourself by then. Although law protects you, if your specific assignment is a hard fill, LMCO will fill it in your absence. They aren't required to give you your exact position back upon your return, only same pay/benefits. So good news is LMCO is a big outfit and handles situations like this all the time. Some companies even make up difference in pay (for deployers) if their pay is higher. Smaller companies with tight budgets aren't as flexible. If your direct report likes your act when and if you leave, then you can expect a good situation upon your return.

Thats good to hear. Bergman, Ill do exactly that. wait for some dates...then drop the news.. yes "god fobid something happen between then and now to prevent me from getting my wings..." Thanks all for your advice..I start next week with LM Aero...stoked, but even more stoked to get into pilot training. fingers crossed. I will do my best to go about this in the most professional and respectful way possible, and with all of your advice, I feel confident I may do so. thanks gentleman!

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

-summers

Thats good to hear. Bergman, Ill do exactly that. wait for some dates...then drop the news.. yes "god fobid something happen between then and now to prevent me from getting my wings..." Thanks all for your advice..I start next week with LM Aero...stoked, but even more stoked to get into pilot training. fingers crossed. I will do my best to go about this in the most professional and respectful way possible, and with all of your advice, I feel confident I may do so. thanks gentleman!

:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

-summers

I think you have a good plan together. It could take over 6 months to get your AMS dates (worst case) so I really would sit quietly and learn your new civilian job until that happens. I would try to give them at least 30 days notice once you have dates, if that is possible. Giving them a copy of your orders immediately would also be best, although that is a long shot given the speed of the ANG orders system.