131 FW to become 131 BW

Scooter14

Guest Absolutlyfly
Good to see a Guard unit not getting totally screwed
I always thought that the Gaurd guys got all of the pretty airplanes. You know all of the good stuff.

Guest cbire880

Well that's better then them getting nothing. I interviewed there this year and they specifically asked what I thought about them getting a different airframe.

Not to bash the guard, but this seems like it wastes a lot of money. I doubt they're getting any more airplanes, and you're bringing an entire wing of pilots with all of its overhead to Knob Knoster?

I know Ike's a powerful man, and (most importantly to him) he's not losing any payroll moving people from St. Louis to the Knob, but I don't see how this helps the mission in any way.

^^^Dude, you're gonna operate 24(ish)less twin-tails and consolidate all of the overhead at one base. Instead of 2 BX's, you have one. One gym, one runway, one set of hangars to heat/cool, one base to guard. Infrastructure-wise, I would think it would be way more cost-effective to have one base instead of two, even if Guard bases are smaller and should typically cost less to operate.

Yeah, I'll buy all of that. I was thinking more along the lines of...

You take away the planes from the St. Louis crowd, but you keep all of the people and let them fly / maintain / support (and cyber) the B-2. I doubt that the B-2 was undermanned, so are you increasing the mission capability at all? Active pilots will get less flight time, and you'll have a bunch of guard dudes qual'd to go fly and get 'er done.

How does that help? You're effectively overmanning the weapon system so Ike can keep people on his payroll.

Guest SnakeT38

I doubt many Eagle guys make the switch unless they have NO CHOICE. Guys with no job or a bad paying real job will be the only ones to go to school. Airline hiring has to start soon, AA is dying for pilots and trips are being canceled instead of recalls.

Guest SnakeT38
Originally posted by ENJJPT IP:

Although unrelated to the B-2 topic this post started with.....

Snake, care to elaborate? I don't understand your post? Why don't they just recall the furloughed pilots instead of cancelling trips?

We "regular" people never know why "they" do this,

all we know is that "they" are about to receive

over 100 mil in bonus payouts on April 19th because of their "talent". I think "they" are trying to "get" something else from us for nothing. Last time we recalled, AA was the LAST company to "break the code", all 600 were recalled on the same day because until they did recall everyone they could not expand the schedule. Continental has recalled everyone and is hiring, Delta and NW are about to drop JDAMS on their companies.............who knows what will happen.

I don't know anything about B-2s or F-15s but I will say that I see black T-38s with WM on the tail here at Little Rock quite often. As I understand it, the T-38s are at Whiteman because the B-2 pilots don't get enough time in the B-2 so they fly the T-38 for currency. If that is the case, how is adding a B-2 Guard unit going to help knowing we aren't buying anymore billion dollar B-2s?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AviatorFT07

Thread revival...

Anyone know the effect this is having on the 131st's UPT boards? Still being held or not? I know several units are not holding any boards while they transition to new aircraft.

(Yes, I searched...)

Guest cbire880

The 131st just held a UPT board in Feb to select a candidate. Nice people, give them a call though and ask.

Originally posted by ARGuardbum:

I don't know anything about B-2s or F-15s but I will say that I see black T-38s with WM on the tail here at Little Rock quite often. As I understand it, the T-38s are at Whiteman because the B-2 pilots don't get enough time in the B-2 so they fly the T-38 for currency. If that is the case, how is adding a B-2 Guard unit going to help knowing we aren't buying anymore billion dollar B-2s?

THAT is a good question.