The Js are in Afghanistan

M2

Guest Form 8
Upgrading to AC as a prior-qualified AMC AC/IP is different than upgrading to AC as a copilot.

Not always. I know some prior 135 IP's who are now copilot's in the C-17.

Guest Hueypilot812

Form 8-

True, technically everyone starts out as an FP in a new airframe, regardless of what crew position you held. However, according to most AMC rules, prior qualified AMC ACs and IPs don't have to attend a formal syllabus program (either at the FTU or in-house)...it's a matter of meeting minimum hour requirements. Depending on how long it takes to complete those requirements, and based upon the decision of the commander as to when you're ready, it may take 6 months to a year for a prior-qualified pilot to upgrade to AC. But yes, everyone starts out as an FP.

My point was specifically in regard to formal syllabus training, versus simply meeting hour requirements and getting certified.

Guest Slowmover

Cool your jets, hueypilot. I don't care what you do or where you go. There was no attitude in my last message. Maybe that year in the desert got to you.

Edited by Slowmover

Guest Hueypilot812
Cool your jets, hueypilot. I don't care what you do or where you go. There was no attitude in my last message. Maybe that year in the desert got to you.

Yeah, I can tell there's no attitude there. Maybe you'll be on the short list to come here for a 365 to teach the Iraqis how to fly the J when they get them, and get your point of view recalibrated.

Regarding the 4-ride upgrade plus OME, is that a 19OG localism or is it straight out of the Vol 1? I did mention in my post that local commanders have authority to adjust what/how people get upgraded to AC, but the minimum hour requirements is usually all that the Vol 1s require.

Edited by Hueypilot812

Same team! Same team! Save the hate for the T-tail mafia!

The upgrade syllabus is not being waived for anyone so far as I can tell. Neither are the 16 hours of GT associated with it. Also, as a prior C-130 AC/IP you still have to do one deployment before you upgrade. Granted that's the holdover guidance, but I don't see it changing with the new leadership. While it's rather frustrating for a prior AC/IP who already knows how to do the job, Slowmover makes a good point that it's better to go through the upgrade training again and be overly ready than to get upgraded too soon and bend metal. (gotta keep up with that lowest common denominator...) Some people would say that right now the squadron needs to upgrade guys that are ready, but with such a small instructor corp, how are the DO and CC supposed to know who's really ready? Different points of view. Both have valid pros and cons. Right now the squadron is slow rolling the upgrades and it's not going to change any time soon. That's just the way it is.

Not to fan the flames...but...I was at the Sim yesterday and saw 3 majors (from T-1s and T-44s) and two Capt WOs in the pipeline training. The two WOs were headed to Ramstein (retreads I think) and the Majors were coming to the 41st. So here's my question. When are they going to start sending people to the 41st who AREN'T there for career advancement? Seriously. I heard from a reliable source that next month, we'll have more Majors than LTs. Someone please tell me I'm not alone in thinking that is completely upside down.

FF

Edited by FourFans130

we'll have more Majors than LTs. Someone please tell me I'm not alone in thinking that is completely upside down.

Man, we have about 70 pilots, 38 of them Majors, 12 waiting to pin on Major and not a one Lt. The first one is rolling in soon though...I feel bad for that person...there is already a list of shit for him to do and he is not even here yet!

Guest Hueypilot812
Same team! Same team! Save the hate for the T-tail mafia!

The upgrade syllabus is not being waived for anyone so far as I can tell. Neither are the 16 hours of GT associated with it. Also, as a prior C-130 AC/IP you still have to do one deployment before you upgrade. Granted that's the holdover guidance, but I don't see it changing with the new leadership. While it's rather frustrating for a prior AC/IP who already knows how to do the job, Slowmover makes a good point that it's better to go through the upgrade training again and be overly ready than to get upgraded too soon and bend metal.

Hey, I have NO problems with upgrading whenever I'm ready...in fact, I think I was rushed through when I got to the Herk at Dyess. Basically, I showed up, finished out my 100 hours, and bam, I was certed as an AC and shoved out the door for a deployment...I had never deployed as a Herk pilot, much less a Herk AC. I survived, didn't bend metal, and did a fair job...but I felt really uncomfortable.

I think I've said it before...I'm more than fine with pulling the gear up and down for a little while, and I'm not going to the J simply for career advancement. I've pretty much made it known to my boss that I want to stay in the cockpit until 20, and if I retire as an O-4, then so be it. I've got plenty of time to be a very experienced J pilot.

Unfortunately, I won't make the rank situation better. I won't get to the J FTU until spring/summer of 2010, simply because manning at the E FTU isn't that great right now and they don't want to let me go right away until things get better there. By the time I make it to the 41st (if that's where I'm going...I just told them I want to stay at LRAFB), I'll be an O-4 by then. But hey, since I'm fine with staying an O-4 and being a copilot for a little while, it won't be so bad!

and the Majors were coming to the 41st. So here's my question. When are they going to start sending people to the 41st who AREN'T there for career advancement? Seriously. I heard from a reliable source that next month, we'll have more Majors than LTs. Someone please tell me I'm not alone in thinking that is completely upside down.

I'm about to fall into that pool (not 41st) so let me give you my perspective. They (the collective that thinks it knows how to run the AF) told me, "its time for you to go to a staff job, blah blah blah, career move, blah blah blah," and all that crap. Now that I've wised up to their game, called bullshit, I'm on my way back to the operational world, and I can't wait. And when I get there, I'm not going to leave. So perhaps there are more like me. That and AMC called and wants their rated people back. Anyway 4xfans, I'm coming home to fly hard, so you can worry a little less on my career advancement.

Any other dudes want to join my party, lets go. All those shmucks out there playing careerism games, go ahead an play exec, or any other gumshoe job that garners the golden OPR paper.

Out.

Guest Hueypilot812
Any other dudes want to join my party, lets go. All those shmucks out there playing careerism games, go ahead an play exec, or any other gumshoe job that garners the golden OPR paper.

Out.

I'm with you...I'll have no problem playing co-piglet for a little while...it'll be nice to just be part of the crew again. All those other hard-charging Majors can take the exec jobs...

That and AMC called and wants their rated people back.

That seems to be the biggest factor. Most of the guys here are being taken out of the staff early to return to fly. I'm sure there are some O-4's choosing to not go to staff and others being slow-rolled before being released to staff. Possible cause of the glut of O-4's.

• 3 months later...
Guest Hueypilot812

Well, my year in Iraq is about up, and I got my orders and class date. I'm going to the J-model PXB (crossflow short) course in about 3 months. Anyone have any gouge about the training...ie, sim intensive? How many tac rides vs pro rides, etc? It says the class is only 2 months long, which seems really short to me. Anyone have any advice on adjusting to the new airframe? Thanks.

Edited to change the timeline.

Edited by Hueypilot812

Well, my year in Iraq is about up, and I got my orders and class date. I'm going to the J-model PXB (crossflow short) course in about 3 months. Anyone have any gouge about the training...ie, sim intensive? How many tac rides vs pro rides, etc? It says the class is only 2 months long, which seems really short to me. Anyone have any advice on adjusting to the new airframe? Thanks.

Edited to change the timeline.

Get ready to sim your brains out. The qual phase is 2ish months. Tac phase is 2ish months. I started 5 Sept and took my final check on 13 Jan.

You won't touch the airplane until the tac phase. Qual culminates in a sim qual checkride (standard C-130 qual check profile with a CAT II ILS thrown in) with an Air Force EP. The first half of tac is in the sim and culminates in a "SKE evaluation" that is the equivolent of a lead checkout checkride (AF EP may or may not be there). Then you hit the flight line and do nothing but tac (minimal or no SKE). I think there are 7 rides with a rec and then check (tac only).

The herk is still the herk. Systems are the same. The computer talks to them differently (you'll LOVE the electrical panel). Learning the computer will be your toughest challenge. Getting used to the HUD and the automation will be the second toughest thing. Qual moves slow, but use the time to learn as much about the computer as you can. The Tac phase moves pretty quick and you'll probably struggle to keep up with all the mission planning requirements. Learn as much as you can about PFPS as you can while you still have Navs to consult. By the end of the course, you'll probably know a lot more than the average Nav. Re-read 11-231 and 13-217.

Long and short, don't expect to fly a whole lot. I've been in the squadron since Jan and I have 46 post-school house hours with a total of 70 hours in the J (take out june for SOS). I've still got more sim hours than jet hours.

Welcome back to mother. Enjoy the school house.

FF

Guest Hueypilot812

OK, I was told I'd attend PXB1 and then PXB5, whatever syllabi those are. Luckily I attended an PFPS User's course a while back when I was our C-21 unit's VFR flight planning expert...because I had a background flying Army helos VFR. Also, when I flew for the Army we made our own charts, and I went through UPT when we had to build a chart or two as well.

Anyways, sounds like the school will be interesting. Thanks for the gouge. By the way, looks like I'm going to the 48th instead of the 41st. Hopefully that translates into flying more than 46 hours in 5ish months.

OK, I was told I'd attend PXB1 and then PXB5, whatever syllabi those are. Luckily I attended an PFPS User's course a while back when I was our C-21 unit's VFR flight planning expert...because I had a background flying Army helos VFR. Also, when I flew for the Army we made our own charts, and I went through UPT when we had to build a chart or two as well.

Anyways, sounds like the school will be interesting. Thanks for the gouge. By the way, looks like I'm going to the 48th instead of the 41st. Hopefully that translates into flying more than 46 hours in 5ish months.

It does. That's a great squadron. You'll have fun.

FF