Ryanair takes the piss, but only for a £

Steve Davies

Ryanair has already demonstrated that it has no shame, but this one scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

BBC: Ryanair mulls charge for toilets

And O'Leary is wrong - I have flown on a Ryanair flight before without any cash on me.

What is the money grabbing ejit going to do when people start pissing into plastic bottles - or all over their seat - on his flights?

Ryanair has already demonstrated that it has no shame, but this one scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

BBC: Ryanair mulls charge for toilets

And O'Leary is wrong - I have flown on a Ryanair flight before without any cash on me.

What is the money grabbing ejit going to do when people start pissing into plastic bottles - or all over their seat - on his flights?

I'm bringing a colostomy bag with me.

Having flown Ryan Air many times, I can tell you that they're great with an almost bait-and-switch tactic. Log onto their website and you'll see great deals that turn into monster bills by the time you're done.

Example - London to Belfast = one way for 99 pence (about $1.50). Awesome deal, right?

Not so much

Taxes/Fees for each flight = 25.26 pounds (so 50.52 for round trip)

Fee for airport check in (which I must do as a non-UK citizen) 9.50 pounds for 2xflights

Fee for checking in one bag = 19.00 pounds for 2x flights

So the round trip flight that started out as 1.98 pounds (about $3) actually costs $79.02 pounds (about $112).

Now don't get me wrong, $112 is a pretty great deal for a round trip from London to Belfast, but when you add to that the cattle-car mentality of Ryan Air (you have to pay extra to board first, otherwise it's a free-for-all when the gates open), the no-frills (no services on board that aren't purchased), their tendency to cancel flights with no remorse to customers (had it happen twice to me), and absolutely HORRENDOUS customer service, they become pretty unappealing.

Having flown Ryan Air many times, I can tell you that they're great with an almost bait-and-switch tactic. Log onto their website and you'll see great deals that turn into monster bills by the time you're done.

Example - London to Belfast = one way for 99 pence (about $1.50). Awesome deal, right?

Not so much

Taxes/Fees for each flight = 25.26 pounds (so 50.52 for round trip)

Fee for airport check in (which I must do as a non-UK citizen) 9.50 pounds for 2xflights

Fee for checking in one bag = 19.00 pounds for 2x flights

So the round trip flight that started out as 1.98 pounds (about $3) actually costs $79.02 pounds (about $112).

Now don't get me wrong, $112 is a pretty great deal for a round trip from London to Belfast, but when you add to that the cattle-car mentality of Ryan Air (you have to pay extra to board first, otherwise it's a free-for-all when the gates open), the no-frills (no services on board that aren't purchased), their tendency to cancel flights with no remorse to customers (had it happen twice to me), and absolutely HORRENDOUS customer service, they become pretty unappealing.

A near-perfect summary of the Ryanair experience - the only thing you missed is that they falsely claim to fly to a city, when in actual fact that they will fly to a provincial airport tens of miles away from it. You then have to get a bus or a cab into the actual city: add another wad of money to cover that, and the true cost of flying Ryanair becomes clear.

Guest Homestar
the cattle-car mentality of Ryan Air (you have to pay extra to board first, otherwise it's a free-for-all when the gates open)

You are not kidding. I swear my two little kids almost got trampled in the mad rush when either a gate was switched or they started boarding. Being able to stand in an orderly line that won't kill me or my family is worth the 100 quid it takes to fly BA.

• 4 months later...

Wow....at first I thought this was an Onion.com news story, but amazingly enough it's true. Is there such a thing as a crash-rated bar stool?? :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelne...gers-stand.html

-----------------------------------

Ryanair to make passengers stand

Ryanair is considering proposals to make some of its customers stand during flights.

The low-cost airline would charge passengers less on "bar stools" with seat belts around their waists.

Michael O'Leary, the chief executive, has already held talks with US plane manufacturer Boeing about designing an aircraft with standing room.

A Ryanair spokesman told the newspaper: "If they approve it, we'll be doing it."

Mr O'Leary is reported to have got the idea from the Chinese airline Spring, which has put forward similar plans. It estimates space could be made for up to 50 per cent more passengers and costs could be cut by 20 per cent.

It is not the first time Ryanair has come up with a controversial proposal for cutting costs. Earlier this year Mr O'Leary suggested passengers could be charged £1 to use the on-board lavatories.

In an interview on BBC television he said that the low-cost airline was looking at the possibility of installing a coin slot on the lavatory door so that "people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny."

Mr O'Leary also considered introducing a "fat tax" for overweight passengers.

Guest PerArduaAdAstra
Mr O'Leary also considered introducing a "fat tax" for overweight passengers.

Now this is an idea I can support. And not just on airlines but in everything else: Movie theaters, restaurants, grocery stores. If you're a big fat overweight bastard, then you pay more.

I'd rather spend the pound for a seat belt and then piss myself as opposed to using the can and having to stand up. Just think of the replacement costs for all those seat cushions!