HGU-55 and mask

summe32c

I would really like to get my hands on an HGU-55 Flight Helmet and mask assembly. I have been to GENTEX and EBAY, but I figured I'd check on here first before I buy. I would like to purchase these items for my aviation collection. This would be a great addition.

What happens to old used equipment? Pilots keep them for their collection? If any of you dudes have any that you would part with, PM me and we will talk about pricing.

NOTE: Hopefully I will gain soon into AFR or Guard so I wont have to worry about it, but I would still like to see it in my office.

Thanks Gents

Cheers

-summers

Old helmets are accountable items for your life support shop, so they usually have to turn them back in to supply when getting new ones.

God only knows what those guys do with them...they probably end up in a trash can somewhere or in the attics of the airmen that work there.

Sometimes you can convince your life support shop to give you your old shell when they give you a new one.

Edited by Hacker

My uncle kept his (Navy) and has it sitting on book shelf in his home. I also know a AF NAV that has his old mask sitting in his office.

Great! so are you telling me you are going to sell me someone elses gear? or just establishing that I have the same idea as these guys? NAVY/AF gear all the same, I think it would still be a great addition to the collection.

Old helmets are accountable items for your life support shop[...]

Every helmet I've seen put to pasture has ended up on the dude's life support locker so he could take it home.

I've got my original mask that I traded up for a 20P, and my original G-suit that fit like an old glove until someone in the fab shop decided it was worn out of spec.

My only guess is that a Hog helmet might not cost as much as other helmets...

Guest r6pilot
That dumb ass said his 1930s-40s helmet was from the post Korean War era. Nice!

That's the kind of stuff that happens when you spend too much time in SA, I guess.

That's a kickass life support shop for you. It is definitely not that way in other places...wish it was, though.

My LS shop let me keep my out of service/unmodified -55 and mask too with all 3 different visors, along with both g-suits when I left.....of course, the 117 was going to the junkyard, so kicking stuff out of HMN was no big deal, I guess.

TSummers: Why not get an old school HGU-33 with dual visors?

My LS shop let me keep my out of service/unmodified -55 and mask too with all 3 different visors, along with both g-suits when I left.....of course, the 117 was going to the junkyard, so kicking stuff out of HMN was no big deal, I guess.

TSummers: Why not get an old school HGU-33 with dual visors?

May have to settle for HUG-33. I want an HGU-55 but kinda hard to comeby.

-summers