Return to Active Duty

Guest Magicrat

Again, the BPC isn't bad, especially compared to the wonderful, IDF-magnet tent city that McCrystalization is building for everyone at KIA. My issue with the Deid is the drive to make it suck as much as possible. See the other two Deid threads for details. It isn't the minor ass pain the rules inflict. It's because they really don't need to make it suck. They want to make it suck.

I'd take a 365 to virtually anywhere over the 'Deid. I agree with you, the suckiest part about that place is that it sucks for no reason.

You lost me completely on teh "McCrystalization." No idea what you're referring to, but I'm curious. Details?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take a 365 to virtually anywhere over the 'Deid. I agree with you, the suckiest part about that place is that it sucks for no reason.

You lost me completely on teh "McCrystalization." No idea what you're referring to, but I'm curious. Details?

That was the term one of our Brits used for the 'let everyone in the world know our plan except the air component' philosophy that pervades Kabul. We had to read about the new strategy off the New York Times. They don't coordinate shit with us. Another thing is he is actively pissing off every Coalition partner. We heard about a fistfight between some dumbass grunt picking a fight with a German in the chow hall at HQ after the Kunduz strike. He jumps on camera blaming the Germans before the investigation had even begun.

The insulting tone he takes with ISAF is not helpful. Someone needs to realize he's not a one-man show.

Interesting, hadn't heard that.

My ground time in OEF was a long time ago. Still I remember a few of us trying to figure out just what exactly ISAF stood for. So we asked our LNO, a RAF officer. "I Suck At Fighting" and "I Shoot At Friends" were the top two definations he could come up with.

Not trying to start a pissing match, I just thought it was funny. Still do.

I can see why ISAF might not like him, I hear he closed their bar.

I did spend some time in Kunduz with the Germans, great food (fresh bread daily!), nice bar. Going outside the wire aggressively--not so much.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Guest Safe&Clear

Has anyone who has done this had trouble getting in touch with Adriana Bazon? I have called several times and no answer as well as left a message. Also, are there any chances of staying in your MWS or will it pretty much be MC-12 UAS? Thanks.

Not sure who that is, but with a name like that, she's GOTTA be hot!

Has anyone who has done this had trouble getting in touch with Adriana Bazon? I have called several times and no answer as well as left a message. Also, are there any chances of staying in your MWS or will it pretty much be MC-12 UAS? Thanks.

Not an expert on the subject, but I've heard bad things about the MC-12 downrange, especially about capes shortfalls. I'd be wary of an MWS that may have a short lifespan.

All the individuals at the Recall Office are very difficult to get hold of. If you're just looking for updates on your package, call the Contact Center and ask them to check the recall database and make them read you all the comments and dates they have on you.

As it stands, the only way for a Retiree to get back into your MWS is if you're current and qualed. There's so little available training already that they're unlikely to use it on a returning retiree who is going to be limited to a single tour anyway. Guys that have gotten to stay in their MWS were for the most part either so recently retired that their checkrides were still valid, or reservists doing the reserve-to-active recall, or special cases.

Haven't heard of them giving out many MC-12s to the recallees in the last couple months. Mostly Predators and staff jobs. They're very very short on the staffs and mostly no training required, so it's a good fit. But, as with everything, there's always exceptions.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Safe&Clear

I've only been separated for a few months, and have been VERY happy to be so, but....

Within a few weeks of being a "Mister", I visit an old friend (one of those "lifelong" buds we all have-- nuf said) who's now the DO of a squadron. He's encouraging me to come back on AD and come work for him, and it sounds great.

I'm strongly considering it, but after a little research, here's my concern: now that there's a "system" in place for recalls to Active Duty, it seems to be even MORE complex than before they put the system in place! I've known tons of guys over the years who decided to return to AD after getting furloughed from airlines, etc. and they say it was a piece of cake. But today it looks like a bureaucratic nightmare...

Perhaps now that there's an official "process" in place for recalling pilots-- complete with a hotline number and God knows how many "administrators" involved (ie another civilian-contractor office at Randolph)-- it actually takes much longer with 10-times the A$$-Pain. Am I wrong? Is this what others are seeing?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Guest Hagar53

If anyone is enough of a fool to volunteer for this program, I have a chair waiting for you at the Deid. You're an idiot if you think they are going to let you fly when they have a crap-ton of 365s to fill in shitty locations.

The powers-that-be want to convert the vast majority of billets at certain units from AEF rotational billets to 365s and PCS positions for 'continuity'. What they are too stupid to realize is that for every 365 billet that is filled, three or four guys get out or retire. They are perpetuating the manning problem in their drive to turn places like the Deid into CONUS-like bases. The senior NCOs are even spitting out insanity about making it an accompanied location in a few years. I would be inclined to say they are lying, but every dumbshit idea they have come up with has proven to be true (tucking in PT shirts, saluting in PTs, kicking out 365-ers to tents for weeks when their replacements show up, etc.).

If you're qualified to be eligible for this program, you can get a good job on the outside.

Well I guess I'm a fool then... with a flying job. I applied back in Feb, jot the offer in June and now I'm just about finished with T-6 PIT and will be on the line in a couple of weeks. I concur with the other recommendations of "be specific about what your desires are". I told them flat out that I would not take a staff job or UAS, it had to be a flying job. For the first time in my career I actually had bargaining power with AFPC because I COULD SAY NO to their offer. They gave me exactly what I asked for. I was realistic with my request, they're not going to send you to a MWS if you have to go thru a full qualification course. I had done a tour in T-37s, they are in dire need of T-6 instructors; it was a good fit for both parties.