MP3 Players

Guest Cap-10

The MP3 player I've had for 5+years (Creative Labs) has been dropped one too many times during a couple trips to the desert/PCS's and is on it's last leg.

I've been looking at some 80G hard drive based players and have narrowed down to the 5th Gen IPod and the 2nd Gen Zune.

I have about 20G of music right meow, and music is the primary focus with 2nd focus video's, and all the other stuff 3rd.

Wondering if anyone on the board has either of these and what their likes and dislikes are: Ease of use of actual device, use of propreitary software, battery life, durability, etc.

Cheers,

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

I have the 4th Gen 60 GB Video iPod and I love it. I've never had any issues with battery life. I also augment with a little 1GB shuffle for workouts, and I find that iTunes is very user friendly. You can also allocate a portion of the flash memory for data storage in addition to music/videos/tv/etc.

I've got a 30GB Zune and it also rocks! The only thing I don't like about it is the desktop application is a bit sporatic; but otherwise I get great battery life and love the fact that I can download podcasts of 'Car Talk with Click and Clack' to it. I also have a huge playlist of acid jazz to relax to. Makes those long airline rides more bearable...

Cheers! M2

I have about a year old ipod nano, and my gf has a brand new nano, and we both love it! Works great all the time, sounds great, and itunes is awesome. I use it for all my music (although I don't download from them much). I think it's definitely worth the money, especially with the video feature.

I have about a year old ipod nano, and my gf has a brand new nano, and we both love it! Works great all the time, sounds great, and itunes is awesome. I use it for all my music (although I don't download from them much). I think it's definitely worth the money, especially with the video feature.

soflguy, I never thought I'd see the day you would have a girlfriend...

I never liked my Zune, the software for the computer was nothing compated to iTunes...I sold it and got an iPod and couldnt be happier

iPhone....replaces everything, up to and including your washing machine.

But seriously, I'm a Windows guy, never had an iPod, and I could not be happier with my new 16GB iPhone 3G. It is hands down the coolest thing I have ever owned. I have several thousand songs on it, about 60 videos, and 30 of the coolest applications ever created.

But seriously, I'm a Windows guy, never had an iPod, and I could not be happier with my new 16GB iPhone 3G. It is hands down the coolest thing I have ever owned. I have several thousand songs on it, about 60 videos, and 30 of the coolest applications ever created.

+1

However I use my Nano at the gym. Something about running with a $500 phone makes me a little nervous.

I have had the 1 gen shuffle (wife washed it with jeans), 5th gen 60 Gig iPod (Had to give it back to the university), 2 Gen Nano (Fatty), and now a 16 gig iPhone 3G.

I like the Nano for workouts, Nike+, and its nice and small.

I like the iPhone for basic music, videos, podcasts, and internet.

If you don't need the phone, get the iPod touch. Its flash based so if you drop it you are not totally screwed (sts) and you get the wide screen video viewing.

soflguy, I never thought I'd see the day you would have a girlfriend...

Yeah, figured it was about time... she's a badass chick and down with the lifestyle... BTW, how's Romies chick? :thumbsup:

What happens to all of my music when I get my first ipod? Does it have to be converted? Do I have to start all over? If it is converted can I still listen to it on my computer?

You just add it to your itunes library and itunes will take care of all the rest, even looking up the info for it all. And then managing your music is real easy and you can just listen to it on your computer like regular media player.

Guest thefranchise

FWIW it depends on if you want an player for MP3 use mainly or if you want a handheld entertainment device for car, music, movies.

I have an 80gb Video iPod and a 1.5GB Nano. I bought the new Nano for running and activity use since my 80gb iPod has broken 2x in 2 years from what I suspect over use/running abuse. I use the 80GB iPod for the car and when I travel so I can watch movies and TV shows. You can fit well over 30-40 movies and a few seasons of you favorite show + all your favorite MP3s on it.

Recently this week Apple announced they will only be carrying the 120gb iPod for $249 which is a steal IMO. The new Nano is also out. It really depends on what you plan on using it for.

For those of you that put movies on your iPod, how to you convert them from DVD to a file that your iPod reads? Or do you just buy movies from iTunes?

My bro got an 80GB iPod for Christmas and had that same question. Assuming you do not want to fork over any cash, you need to scour the internet for freeware that will convert DVD --> AAC WITHOUT leaving a watermark smack dab in the middle of the picture, or only convert the first 50% of a file. I think he had to try about six different converters before he got one that was free, watermarkless, and did the whole file. I'll try and find out what it was called.

Edited by Port Dog

I agree. I'd been telling myself for years to ditch Windows and get over to Apple. Finally in August I purchased a 15" MacBook Pro. The difference, reliability, stability, performance, and pure cool factor, were instantaneous. I knew I had to get an iPhone...and I was one of the idiot braving the crowds on 11 July 08. With MobileMe, Apple just can't be beat IMHO. Since, I've purchased the 24" iMac for my home office. My life is completely Apple now and I couldn't be happier. iTunes 8 is incredible. If you're into music there is no substitute for the iPod, period.

I can't detect anything better about the Zune vice the iPod. Oh, and bluetooth stereo headsets are coming for the iPods...and iPod + Nike...world domination, LOL.

Boom

Does handbrake leave any watermarks or have any other of the problems PortDog mentioned?

Nope, it's freeware. I've ripped movies in .mp4 format on my iPod Nano and iPhone with no problems.

Boom

Does handbrake leave any watermarks or have any other of the problems PortDog mentioned?

Nope. I've been using this program for a while and it does exactly what it describes.... and it's free.

"2" on the IPhone and Apple, I converted to a mac desktop a few years ago and held out for the 3G Iphone, and I love them both.

IPod is very user friendly itself. ITunes and the store are great. Just need to be careful about "sync'ng" your IPod. And it also converts all audio on it's own.

Only benefit I have found with the Zune is that they offer a monthly subscription for unlimited music downloads. My brother has one and he pays like $15 a month and can download as much music as he wants. He did mention something about losing the stuff when he stops the subscription??

Apple has been talking about this for awhile and offering a subscription.

Personally for me ITunes is the selling point. You can find damn near anything to fit your taste in PODCAST and they have a ton of movies and tv shows. If you have internet connection you can also stream radio right from ITUNES.

Those ITUNES cards you see anywhere are fantastic. All you need is the number off the back. You can add as many you want and it just build your account balance. You can load ITunes on 5 different computers and your account balance is accesible from any of them. Beware of syncing.

• 3 months later...

Notice for any Zune 30 owners out there. You've probably noticed that it has locked up/frozen with the Zune emblem and you can't reset it. Well, worry not as it is a leap year bug that will resolve itself tomorrow...

Official Fix for the Zune 30 Fail

Microsoft's responded to the Zune 30GB failure, blaming a leap-year handling bug. And they've provided a fix. Which is to wait til New Years, when the bug will go away by itself. Huh.

Early this morning we were alerted by our customers that there was a widespread issue affecting our 2006 model Zune 30GB devices (a large number of which are still actively being used). The technical team jumped on the problem immediately and isolated the issue: a bug in the internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year. That being the case, the issue should be resolved over the next 24 hours as the time change moves to January 1, 2009. We expect the internal clock on the Zune 30GB devices will automatically reset tomorrow (noon, GMT). By tomorrow you should allow the battery to fully run out of power before the unit can restart successfully then simply ensure that your device is recharged, then turn it back on. If you're a Zune Pass subscriber, you may need to sync your device with your PC to refresh the rights to the subscription content you have downloaded to your device.

Customers can continue to stay informed via the support page on zune.net (zune.net/support).

We know this has been a big inconvenience to our customers and we are sorry for that, and want to thank them for their patience.

Q: Why is this issue isolated to the Zune 30 device?

It is a bug in a driver for a part that is only used in the Zune 30 device.

Q: What fixes or patches are you putting in place to resolve this situation?

This situation should remedy itself over the next 24 hours as the time flips to January 1st.

Q: What's the timeline on a fix?

The issue Zune 30GB customers are experiencing today will self resolve as time changes to January 1.

Q: Why did this occur at precisely 12:01 a.m. on December 31, 2008?

There is a bug in the internal clock driver causing the 30GB device to improperly handle the last day of a leap year.

Q: What is Zune doing to fix this issue?

The issue should resolve itself.

Q: Are you sure that this won't happen to all 80, 120 or other flash devices?

This issue is related to a part that is only used in Zune 30 devices.

Q: How many 30GB Zune devices are affected? How many Zune 30GB devices were sold?

All 30GB devices are potentially affected.

This has been freaking me out since I leave Saturday for a ten-day TDY to Europe (Germany and the UK). I use my Zune to listen to music and podcasts on the flight over, and without it the trans-Atlantic leg seems considerably longer!

Cheers! M2

p.s. One more question got left out...

Q: Will you update the firmware before the next leap year (2012)?

Yes.

Recently got my wife an iPod nano. We avoid Apple like the plague, but love it. Can't say the same for iTunes though. I use to DJ on a few internet radio stations and have about 90gb+ of music sorted in very specific ways and losing that sort order drives me crazy. I also have some experience with the Zune software as well and that is about on par with iTunes anyways.

One of my good friends has a Zune and loves it. I dont think you can go wrong with either strictly looking at the items. We stuck with the iPod instead of the Zune because of accessories.