WWII DFC Question

Guest ACBar

Guest ACBar

Hey guys,

I've been reading here a while and I'm looking for a little help...

I'm currently waiting to start pilot training at Vance and before I got down here my aunt gave me some of my grandfathers old Army Air Corps things. Neither she nor my dad really know much about what he did but from what they do remember I know that he was flying transport over the Burma hump. My aunt thinks that he did some of his pilot training here but some of the pictures that she gave me also show him in Muskogee. I also have his ribbon rack and he has the Distinguished Flying Cross with a bronze oak leaf cluster.

Basically, I'm wondering if there is anyway to find out exactly what/where he flew and what it was he did to get the DFC. Is there any Vance or Air Force organization that would still have any history on him? My brother also got his SSN off of some paperwork we found hoping that that would lead us somewhere but we really don't know where to start looking.

I'm guessing that this is probably going to be pretty tough to run down but any advice on where I could possibly look would be appreciated!

You can start here:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-...ce-records.html

I've helped vets get copies of their own records but if you are not the vet, it can get difficult. This is not a fast process either; expect to wait several months for anything. Oh, you will get a message saying they got your request and expect an answer in 10 days, that is a target they are shooting for but miss buy several months.

Good luck.

You might want to try talking with the base historian at Vance. (I think he works in the HQ building?????) If your grandfather was in fact at Vance he might have some actual information. If not, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Hey guys,

I've been reading here a while and I'm looking for a little help...

I'm currently waiting to start pilot training at Vance and before I got down here my aunt gave me some of my grandfathers old Army Air Corps things. Neither she nor my dad really know much about what he did but from what they do remember I know that he was flying transport over the Burma hump. My aunt thinks that he did some of his pilot training here but some of the pictures that she gave me also show him in Muskogee. I also have his ribbon rack and he has the Distinguished Flying Cross with a bronze oak leaf cluster.

Basically, I'm wondering if there is anyway to find out exactly what/where he flew and what it was he did to get the DFC. Is there any Vance or Air Force organization that would still have any history on him? My brother also got his SSN off of some paperwork we found hoping that that would lead us somewhere but we really don't know where to start looking.

I'm guessing that this is probably going to be pretty tough to run down but any advice on where I could possibly look would be appreciated!

Try the Dsitinguished Flying Cross Society website and see if he is listed.

There is no national registry of DFC recipients, and the DFC society only lists people who have applied to be members of the organization and had their (or their relative's) award of the medal verified.

Having worked with base historians before, it's not very likely that the Vance Historian is going to be able to provide you with much. If he went through training there, you might get his class number, might get a class photo, but that is about it. Certainly nothing on a medal he was awarded long after leaving Vance.

The best way to really find out is to research through the US National Archives, where military personnel records are filed. The citation for the medals should be part of those personnel records. This is a fairly easy process, and I know several people who have done it and obtained some very great bits of history from the files.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-...ce-records.html