Best AFSC for applicants?

Guest cajun

Guest cajun

This is my first post here. I've been lurking on this board for a while though. I am working on putting my application together for OTS. I don't believe I'll be able to get my package together in time for the 09ot01 board but I am going to give it a shot. If I am not able to complete my package in time for the 09ot01 board I'll be applying for the 09ot02 board. What would be the most competitive AFSC to have when applying for UPT from AD?

Edited by cajun

This is my first post here. I've been lurking on this board for a while though. I am working on putting my application together for OTS. I don't believe I'll be able to get my package together in time for the 09ot01 board but I am going to give it a shot. Since I might not be able to complete my package in time for the 09ot01 board, what would be the most competitive AFSC to have when applying for UPT from AD?

I don't think AFSC will matter much, what's more important is AFOQT Scores, GPA, Recommendation, EPR's and "Brownie Points"(volunteering). I personally think unless you are a PJ, Combat Control, or TACP AFSC will make no difference in being picked up. And the reason I think the previous three AFSC's will make a difference is because the training alone is a good indicator they will succeed as an officer.

purely just my opinion!

Good luck!

Edited by budderbar

Don't think AFSC makes a difference. Cheesy term, but I've heard it put "bloom where you are planted". In other words, your job performance in whatever AFSC, along with a good and meaningful stratification, your AFOQT scores, TBAS and private flying hours will make the difference.

Guest cajun
Don't think AFSC makes a difference. Cheesy term, but I've heard it put "bloom where you are planted". In other words, your job performance in whatever AFSC, along with a good and meaningful stratification, your AFOQT scores, TBAS and private flying hours will make the difference.

"Bloom where you are planted" sounds cheesy but makes a lot of sense, I don't have any private flight hours, I've been using the Microsoft flight simulator a lot though, How competitive would I be with no flight hours? Or is it in my best interest to at least get a few in before my package goes to the board?

Anything you do will help including getting some hours. Bottom line is there are lots of dudes who want to go to UPT and only a fixed number of slots. Do whatever you think will make your package shine above others. There is tons of info on what successful applicants have done to get picked up on this forum.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tmickel

Also important to look at manning numbers -- if you're in a critically manned career field, the chances of getting released to apply to the UPT board are lower than if you're in an overage career field.

Also important to look at manning numbers -- if you're in a critically manned career field, the chances of getting released to apply to the UPT board are lower than if you're in an overage career field.

I'm not sure how other AFSCs are but missiles is critically manned and they release us for pilot training.

• 3 years later...
Guest dserviss

Hi all,

Im sure you get this a lot, but I'm about to enlist with the Illinois ANG, and my long term plan with the military is to fly A-10s, in any capacity. (active, guard, reserve)

I'm planning on utilizing Illinois generous tuition assistance (100%), and plan on attending Southern Illinois University for their aviation program. I don't have a PPL, nor any time flying a plane, or learning how to. I recently graduated with honors from a digital media college, but have always wants to fly fighters. I figured I've matured enough to finally focus on making that lifestyle change.

I'm wondering what AFSC will transfer the most credits to an aviation flight degree? And, if I were to do my aviation oriented AFSC (Life support, crew chief, etc) on KC-135's or C-130s (Because that's all Illinois has) would that would hinder my chance at getting an A-10 UPT and OTS slot?

Also, do I apply for a commission, or the pilot slot? I think it's the pilot slot itself. Not sure though.

Some of the recruiters I talk to are completely devoid of this vital information, and are too concerned with getting me to sign these papers. I want to do this, but I want to do this right, and in a way that gives me the best possible chance to get my ass into an A-10.

Btw, I'm 22 years young.

Thanks all.

If you've got your heart set on A-10s, you should strongly consider going to a Guard or Reserve Unit flying the same. You can be the top AD guy in your UPT class and if there is no A-10 in your drop, then you will not be flying A-10s. I'm an OTS grad, so I can tell you how it works. When you apply to OTS, you apply for a specific job. So you are applying for the "pilot slot itself". Your recruiter knows absolutely nothing about this process and is just concerned with making his stats ... standard. I went through OTS with prior enlisted aircrew, maintainers and even an ammo dude all with pilot slots. Or you can just walk in off the street into a pilot slot like I did. Take your time, invest the $20 in the AFOQT study guides at Barnes and Noble and good luck. Feel free to PM me.