Handheld GPS

Ram

Revival..........

Does anyone here have experience with with any of the Garmin Nuvi _70 models (270, 370, 670, 770)? Looking at this particular one (370) because it has the North American & European maps built it with it....just wondered how good the European maps are. Or, has anyone has downloaded and used the European maps that you can download for the Garmins.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Fuse

no experience with that, but to add to the thread...

HOLUX M1200

IMAGE_00243.jpg

To go with my xv6700 Phone

Picture6.jpg

Guest JorryFright21

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 with a HR monitor and cadence sensor for running and biking. Elroy posted about the 205 which is basically the same thing. I love the feedback I get from running and riding with it. Anyone interested in triathlons would really benefit from one of these bad boys. Can't wait to get back to the states to buy a sweet hand held for back country hiking/camping!

Revival..........

Does anyone here have experience with with any of the Garmin Nuvi _70 models (270, 370, 670, 770)? Looking at this particular one (370) because it has the North American & European maps built it with it....just wondered how good the European maps are. Or, has anyone has downloaded and used the European maps that you can download for the Garmins.

I have the Nuvi 370, and I love it. The maps in my experience are really up to date. Garmin has done a lot of work just in the last couple of years to fix things that people have reported.

There are only a few minor things that are annoying, depending on your preferences:

1. The bluetooth is great, but the speaker for calls is incredibly weak. It is very difficult to hear people when you are talking through the GPS.

2. It considers staying straight when part of the road forks or exits, a turn. So it will say turn in .5 miles, when actually you are staying straight. You can get around this by just looking at the upcoming turns feature.

3. The "people" in the GPS are not very smart. They often call drives "doctors" and streets "saints." I actually find this really funny, but some people don't like it.

Overall, I think it is an awesome device. It is really portable, and comes with a carrying case, which is really nice for when you are walking around an unfamiliar city. I would recommend it to everyone.

Guest bravodelta79

I have a few for different uses:

Garmin GPS296 - This is the portable GPS I use for flying. I have been in a flying club for 18 months with two airplanes. It's nice to take it between the two with the yoke mount. I opted for a used 296 instead of the 396/496 because I don't fly enough nor in enough IMC to warrant the added expense for the XM WX subscription.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6399

Garmin eTrex Vista - I bought this about 6 or 7 years ago when they only had the B/W version. I've taken it all over the world for different things and it's great. I recently bought the NA Topo disk, but I haven't loaded it yet since I haven't needed it for anything. I've never used the topo function on it, but have certainly thought it would be nice in some places (mountains of Spain at night by myself in the rain - ugh).

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=163

Garmin NuVi 350 - Just bought one of these before I drove to my interviews about a month ago. Agreed with M2 that it's a great product. I find myself using it to go places I've driven 100 times just to have accurate ETA (damn, it's accurate!!), speed (my speedo reads fast) and the other reference points (restaurants, etc) right at my finger tips. I'd highly recommend this one as I picked it up for $240 online and the NuVi 200 was $200+tax at Wally World.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6290

Guest bravodelta79

I didn't see anyone post about it, but it might be old hat and in another thread. Anyone get into snagging the "track" from the GPS and making a Google Earth overlay file? I've done this for several years for flying, driving and hiking. I have a few flying tracks online if anyone feels like checking them out. Just find the files that end in .kmz and SAVE AS to your PC. When you double click it, it will load Google Earth with that track highlighted (assuming you have GE installed).

http://home.woh.rr.com/mountainman/

Guest loydma3

Im poor so i was forced to place my phone, gps, and mobile computer in one console with the Sprint Mogul...works great....so far

Guest LittleMan
Garmin-196 to fly with - also plugs in great with Falconview / PFPS (direct "push" of flight plans, points, etc. via usb cable) and we've wired into the power supply on board so no need for batteries.

Just curious, is there any GPS unit that will double for car and cockpit use? It would be kinda nice to get one unit and be able to use it with the car (and get street information, directions, etc.) and then flip a switch and make it give you flight plans, sectionals, and all that other good info that the aviation GPS units give you. Anyone know?

Guest bravodelta79

My Garmin 296 (the 396 and 496 do it too) will do both. You have to buy the street maps separate and then load the ones you want on a memory card. I have a 128MB card that had enough memory maps from Ohio to FL and most of FL. I got the 350 since the 296 is pretty big compared to the Nuvi series and was a pain to add more maps when you're out-and-about.