Anybody Here Going To Riat?

JP84U2

Guest evil load
I will be going to RIAT (Royal International Air Tattoo @ RAF Fairford) this year, anybody else here going? Or been there and have some gouge?

THX,

HUMPS :rock:

Was there in 2001 and 2002 parked in the Herky row. Must load aircraft full of coolers of beer and ice = your own crazy aircrew party after airshow on Sat = kicked out by airfield security. Couple of cases of booze to help smooth relations with our British and NATO allies. Lounge chairs for watching the airshow. Try to get a hotel within 15 min drive if possible. There is a big airshow participant party after the last day of the airshow which is a hoot.

Steve, I spent a lifetime at Bentwaters/Woodbridge (Dec 85-Dec-87) so I'm well aquainted with what you Limeys call summer!

Humps

Humps

I would hold onto those memories fondly - the 'summers' in those days were much better than they are now!

Out of interest, are you coming here with some Hogs or something else? I probably won't be there, but if I am I'll try and look you up.

Humps

I would hold onto those memories fondly - the 'summers' in those days were much better than they are now!

Out of interest, are you coming here with some Hogs or something else? I probably won't be there, but if I am I'll try and look you up.

Steve,

I'll be there with a "Husker" tanker, definitely stop and say Hi if you are there.

Humps

The show is good, the crowds incredible. Expect pointed questions about your aircraft and lots of picture taking from the British airplane nuts. Some of those folks live and breath the stuff. More than one wanted my operators manual. The party at the end is pretty wild. Stay out of range of the flying bread rolls. We were bused to our hotel at the end of each day. It was a Hilton but about an hour away.

Guest evil load
Ill be there this year. Part of the party on the last day also requires Mess Dress if Im not mistaken. Should be a good time.

No Mess Dress required. Just a bag.

• 4 weeks later...
Bring wet weather clothing; it's British summertime.

Holy SH#t Steve, you weren't kidding! Really sucks they had to cancel, I was looking forward to the show! Oh well, I guess I got a free UK vacation out of the deal. It has been a bit spendy with exchange rate though! This is the first time I've been back since 87 except a few days stuck at Moldyhole, I can't believe how much it has changed....WalMart...in the UK...YGBFSM!

Humps

Holy SH#t Steve, you weren't kidding! Really sucks they had to cancel, I was looking forward to the show! Oh well, I guess I got a free UK vacation out of the deal. It has been a bit spendy with exchange rate though! This is the first time I've been back since 87 except a few days stuck at Moldyhole, I can't believe how much it has changed....WalMart...in the UK...YGBFSM!

Humps

Humps

Sorry to hear that your first visit back in some time coincided with unusually wet weather, even by our standards! I opted to go to Duxford instead of RIAT, which means that I was very luck with my choice!

Are you guys departing tomorrow or Monday? If the latter, then you could always drive up to Duxford and catch the show tomorrow...

Was there in 2001 and 2002 parked in the Herky row. Must load aircraft full of coolers of beer and ice = your own crazy aircrew party after airshow on Sat = kicked out by airfield security. Couple of cases of booze to help smooth relations with our British and NATO allies. Lounge chairs for watching the airshow. Try to get a hotel within 15 min drive if possible. There is a big airshow participant party after the last day of the airshow which is a hoot.

I was there on Herky row. The Minnie boys put on a hell of a party until the cops threatned to take the Aircraft commander to jail. The party on the last day was crazy. Bring lots and lots of tattoos, and i hope you don't have a case of dry mouth. We also did the aircrew competition on the day before the show. I thought it was going to suck, but it turned out to be a great time. You essentially compete with other aircrews from different countries in a number of events such as: shooting gyro jet flares at a target, swiming rucksacks and a dummy across a very cold lake, etc. There was plenty of pints flowing and we had a pretty good time with the Germans and the Jordanians. Definitely a great airshow.