Dogfights of The Future

B52gator

I'd be interested to see how they figure an F-22 and an Su-47 would go at it. Probably try BVR and nobody can lock eachother up and then just close in and go for guns?

Watch it and they explain. They basically take a specific scenario and then apply their own specific circumstances and make up a mock battle. Then when certain things happen, they assume the response by the other side. For instance, to show how a JSF would supposedly have to respond to not being stealth, they have a missile lock up and not fire, thus making the JSF have a larger radar signature. They really make quite a few things up as they go to show technology they see in the future.

A lot of that technology I have either seen discussed in various engineering classes or science magazines. There wasn't a whole lot that they showed which I hadn't heard of else where... like Scramjet.

It was interesting to watch though and does feed the side of me that wonders "what's out there that's really cool that I will never see?"

edit to fix crappy typing skills.

Edited by AEWingsMN

For instance, to show how a JSF would supposedly have to respond to not being stealth, they have a missile lock up and not fire, thus making the JSF have a larger radar signature.

WTFO?

How does this work? If they "locked up" it would imply targeting based upon a certain RCS. But if you've got some majic way to explain not firing a missle expanding RCS I'd be willing to hear it.

In the scenario, the bay doors of the JSF open up to allow the missle to fire, but the missle jams and the pilot can't close the doors. With the doors open, the JSFs stealth characteristics (supposedly) are nullified or at least greatly reduced, making it easy for others to target them. I caught it too. Cool show! A B-1R with super-cruise and 20-30 AMRAAMs... I like!

In the scenario, the bay doors of the JSF open up to allow the missle to fire, but the missle jams and the pilot can't close the doors. With the doors open, the JSFs stealth characteristics (supposedly) are nullified or at least greatly reduced, making it easy for others to target them. I caught it too. Cool show! A B-1R with super-cruise and 20-30 AMRAAMs... I like!

yeah, that was it. I couldn't exactly explain what was going on by memory. I just remembered it was stuck there and I couldn't explain exactly how they said it happened...

Edited by AEWingsMN

Guest L Unit

Dr. Evil: "You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?"

Dr. Evil: "You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?"

Yeah, that was in there too. And their demonstration of space dog fights briefly mentioned that everything would have to be done by slow orbital mechanics. Relating that with the very minimal I remember from Orbital Mechanics class, my dream of ever flying a Tie Fighter in a fast action dog fight to save the evil empire was defeated...

Edited by AEWingsMN