What if you WANT to be a Helo pilot

Guest loydma3

What exactly do current Helo pilots do in the AF?

they fly helicopters. Duh. Go read the fact sheets for the UH-1 and HH-60 on af.mil, and read the rest of this thread, it has some good info. Also float over to http://www.heliopshelitacforums.com/forums/ and look under the military section for some info on AF helos stoof.

Does CSAR do any other missions besides rescue?

CSAR is one facet of PR (Personnel Recovery). We can be tasked with anything under that purview. We are also currently doing an ILO tasking with the Army for MEDEVAC in OEF. Which is an awesome mission, and it's not going away anytime soon.

What is the Plan for the Osprey?

Osprey is AFSOC. It will do SOF things. Search this site for CV-22 and Osprey and you'll find some info.

And does anybody know what the new CSAR-X is?

CSAR-X announcement should come "this fall". If you go to news.google.com and search for CSAR-X you can find out more info. Google is your friend.

I just don't feel like starting a new thread.

Stract:

How much NVG flying do you do around home base?

currently 75% of our sorties are NVG, but I'd put the historical average at 50-60%. That seems to be on par with what the rest of our community is doing, as well.

Guest wannabeflyer

Was wondering if there were any huey pilots who could comment about the community. Lifestyle, flight time, average mission, etc. I have heard its mainly flying around missle bases and come VIP transport. Do huey pilots deploy at all? Does the air force have any in theater? Thanks

Was wondering if there were any huey pilots who could comment about the community. Lifestyle, flight time, average mission, etc. I have heard its mainly flying around missle bases and come VIP transport. Do huey pilots deploy at all? Does the air force have any in theater? Thanks

This not specific enough?

Lifestyle of Helicopter Pilots

• 5 months later...
Guest Logic

Thread revival.

So here's my current situation and I could use some advice...

I commission in May as a Comm & Info Officer and got bit by the flying bug. I didn't put in for a rated slot... Long story. I researched cross-commissioning into the Army and competing for a WO slot in the Army Guard because I really want to fly Apaches. No go... That program apparently died with the Blue to Green program. I then asked about commissioning into the Air Guard and was told about a program called "Palace Chase" where you'd do 2 years AD and then go Air Guard. That program has also ceased to exist. The advice I've been given now is to let my first assignment Commander know I want a helo slot and ask for an early release if the AF force force shapes again (to put in for an Air Guard helo slot or Army Guard helo slot) or to put in for an AD UPT package. I will be 28 when I commission and will need corrective surgery... I really like the Guard route because it's a guaranteed airframe (like to fly the Pave Hawk on the AF side or the Pave Low if they're still around) and I worry about being at the mercy of the UPT drop dart board (no desire to fly fixed wing aircraft) if I go that route. Advice?

Edited by Logic

definitely go ANG over ARNG if given the choice. You might be out of time given your age at commissioning as far as age goes. Pave Lows retired in Oct 08. Best bet is to talk to one of the Guard/Reserve units that flies 60s...and see what info they can provide you. Also call the helo functional at AFPC. Search around on the AFPC website for the phone number. His name is Maj Brad Dow.

210 RQS ANG Alaska

101 RQS ANG NY

129 RQS ANG Moffett, CA

301 RQS AFRES Patrick AFB, FL

305 RWS AFRES DM AFB, AZ

• 1 year later...
Guest Herc Driver

I'm a C-130 pilot in the ANG. What are the chances on switching to helos in the ANG or AFRes?

The title of this thread still cracks me up. Especially after watching phase II kids fight tooth and nail for a huey slot. It just sounds like something so horrible. Like "What if you WANT an anal probe". Or "What if you WANT to set your face on fire".

Anyone ever hear of old-timer graybeards transitioning from fixed to rotary wing? Like, say, hypothetically, a guy w/18 yrs in, some 4500+ hours in five USAF fixed wing aircraft, wants to go to rucker and then fly hueys or blackhawks for a couple of years before he retires. Is there any gunpowder in that chili? If so, who does my hypothetical guy call to make it happen?

Guard/Reserve are your best bet. Your "friend" wouldn't have enough time left before retirement to make it really worthwhile for the functional at AFPC, but stranger things have happened I suppose. Call the helo functional and ask, name and number should be on the AFPC secure site. Also, 60_Driver is a prior A-10 guy that went to the Alaska Guard to fly helos.

I know a guy that just went to -60s after flying hueys. How often this happens? I really don't know.

Most guys do hueys for one tour and then switch to 60s or AFSOC.

The brass at rucker discourages hueys as a career airframe, but rather a good first assignment before starting rescue or SOF

• 1 month later...
Guest Bushmaster78FS
Don't go to the Army. ... If you're a WO, you won't make any money, and for both you'll never be home.

icemanbullshit.jpg

I think I am making pretty good money, and this is just the beginning... :drinking::D

• 11 months later...
Guest burner

I know a newly winged Army Aviator, who is very pleased with his choice. I also knew several USN/USMC grads from NASP when I was stationed at KHRT. Comparing their experience with mine in USAF, I think those branches have a great program.

As one who was at Mather for UNT & EWO, 86-87, we had elim'd guys from each of the 6 UPT bases; the guys who had "10 months in UPT, and now I'm here doing pre-comps (celestial nav)", or those who failed the last ck (form ck?) were very upset. Also, those who were top stick in 37s, but failed in 38s, and were upset the AF would not let them go to UPT-H.

However, I never met a single guy at UNT from UPT-H. The was an IEWO at EWO school, so I now it could happen.

Edited by burner