Top 10 most dangerous places to land in the world

Big Tex

Guest Hueypilot812

I'd nominate Teguchigalpa's Toncontin Airport. Not easy considering it sits in a bowl and is relatively short.

On a different note, yeah so if you are flying at Nellis and have any EPs step one of the checklist should be to center up TACAN channel 12 bring it back home, I don't care if you are up in Reville. Lots of runway available but talk about asspain....

:bohica:

How about the deck of an aircraft carrier? :)

Agreed.

No, they are not public use airports,...but how about Indian Mountain, Sparrevohn, Cape Newenham, Cape Romanzoff, Cape Lisburne,...anyone? Definately, about the most fun you can have trying to land an airplane with your pants on! Commit points at these places, except Cape Lisburne, run between 1.0 NM and 2.5 NM final if my memory serves me correctly,....and yes, that does mean 3 engine assault time, cause you ain't going to be able to go around and miss the rocks.

WTF!? I would think that Sonde, Greenland would be on the list. Also, maybe they should include ORBD.

eh, I gotta disagree with you on that one, at least in the top ten anyways. Sure it can be a little hair raising, espcially in IMC with the rising Fjords as you get further down the inlet, but I would definitely fear the traffic pattern of any UPT base anyday.

The only incident that I ever heard of was back in the 70's when a C-141 cartwheeled on landing there because the runway gave the pilots the optical illusion of it coming to an end a lot quicker than normal.

Your kidding right?

Never landed there I take it? Where they'll clear you to land with aircraft on the runway, or clear aircraft to take off while you're still taxiing off the runway.

Never landed there I take it? Where they'll clear you to land with aircraft on the runway, or clear aircraft to take off while you're still taxiing off the runway.

I'll grant you the controllers there are a little suspect. Of the top 10 most dangerous places to land, however, Manas certainly is not among them.

Guest Caddis

Landed there plenty of times when deployed there. Like TAC said the controllers were below average but not a challenging approach. The drive to the 12 Chimneys was more dangerous.

The drive to the 12 Chimneys was more dangerous.

Not sure what the 12 Chimneys is, but our taxi ride to the Hyatt was pretty f-ing scary. Guy was all over the place. 3 nights at the Hyatt helped though. :thumbsup: