What happened to painted helmets?

Guest twood

Guest twood

My buddy's dad is an old F-4 guy and has his old helmet. Its painted up pretty cool with the Ferrari horse and etc. Why don't you see anything like that anymore? Is it because of the way the new helmets are made or something?

Guest pavesooner

6.4.1.1. All aircrew helmets will be subdued factory gray or blended to match the aircraft color

scheme so as not to contrast or brightly reflect off inside of the canopy or cockpit glass. Subduing

can be accomplished by application of paint or taping of helmet shells to blend with the aircraft

exterior color. Subdued method is at the discretion of the unit commander. BFT, FTU students, and

units without a mobility commitment are exempt from this requirement.

6.4.1.3. Only helmet visor housings and visor fabric covers may be customized with unit

approved designs. Visor housings may only be customized using elastomeric film (decals), tape or

equivalent materials. Designs must not interfere with visor operations, the EEU-series goggle top

latch assembly, or the night vision goggle (NVG) mounting bracket. Designs will be obliterated by

removing decals, painting over designs, or replacing visor housings or covers when necessary to

comply with real world sanitization requirements.

From AFI 11-301

[ 18. April 2005, 07:59: Message edited by: pavesooner ]

• 7 months later...
Guest croftfam

Don't know that the Air Force ever did this. There are VERY few flingwingers that get some wicked looking eyes or something, but like I said, very few. In fact, I've only seen 1 guy (an FE) do it that actually flew with it. The rest I've only heard of, or seen people's helmets that have been retired. Only reason helo guys can get away with painting the visor shield is because it comes off the helmet. You can't paint the rest of the helmet because LS can't inspect for cracks as easily when it's covered in some paint job. Lame rule, but at the same time, I've never seen anything cool enough to want it on my helmet. I guess I'm just no Maverick. I'm no expert on this.

The Navy uses reflective tape on its helmets. I can't remember the exact number, but a certain percentage of the helmet must be covered with white reflective tape. Some squadrons do have a few creative PRs that use different colored tapes to make designs while still being able to have the right percentage of white tape. My helmet has my name on the side and a squadron logo on the back using black and orange tape.