Computers and UPT

Tex

No need for a computer in class. Just stick with whatever you prefer, desktop or laptop. Personally, I'm glad I have a laptop now that I am TDY all the time, but during UPT it didn't matter.

A computer is useful for UPT, but no special capabilities are required. I'm running a T37 sim on mine, which is pushing the envelope on my laptop that was built for size, not speed or power. Other than that, M$ Office is about as far out as you really need. No real use for portability (laptop) so a desktop is adequate.

Flyinjunky,

What did you think of the T-37 Sim program? We had an old version someone gave us, and a couple of the guys bought the new version and we used it at their house. We loved it. It was a helluva way to chairfly, especially during the instrument phase, you could do your fix to fix, fly the arc, full procedures, etc. Kudos to anyone who's talented enough to make suck a product as well, the detail and realism are really good.

I highly recommend it to anyone who's Tweet bound.

[ 09. May 2004, 19:40: Message edited by: PAB ]

PAB, I like the sim for the same reasons: I even use it for some contact. It gets kind of sketchy at that point: mostly a "one potata, two potata, three potata, TURN" method in the pattern... It's money for the instruments, though: I'd flown both of the main profiles used here at CBM before we ever strapped into the jet: a big help. And I'm flying each of my I-sims beforehand as well.

There's a double edge to the sword, though. I've been playing flight sims since I was a kid, so for me, it was no problem setting it up and making it work (control wise and such). I've tried to bring in folks that were having trouble and the control issues were too distracting at times.

Bring a computer to UPT - you will regret it if you don't. You will be "that guy" who is always bumming computer time off other guys if you don't have one. You have to do briefings weekly that you can research and write at home. All of the gouge is electronic, so you will need a computer at home to read through it and print it out. A computer is essential to read all of the interesting posts here on baseops. Plus it is always nice to have the internet to keep up with emails and to look stuff up on the internet if you are that kind of person.

OF course, as mentioned above, you need a PC to play the T-37 sim. I, and several of my classmates found it to be very useful for instruments and even a little contact. It helps you get used to staying in your MOA with just instruments.

• 9 months later...
Guest WMU-DChi

I was wondering if I would be better off purchasing a laptop prior to UPT, versus a desktop, since I will be purchasing a computer anyways. Also, will I be able to watch my Cubs games on my computer at Columbus with an mlb.tv subscription in the squadron (meaning do they have high speed access and will I have the time during the day)?

Guest goirishgo

Negative. You won't have time to watch baseball during the day, and you can't plug your personal laptop into the base intranet anyhow.

Personally I just prefer using a laptop, it's more versatile. I never take it into the flight room, though, no need for it.

Mike,

I've been labled the tech junkie in my T-38 flight. I bought a laptop that served me well in OTS, but it's only left my desktop twice since I got to UPT (once was when we went home for Christmas). You have some nice to know info passed around in e-format, word docs, ppt, pdfs, etc, but nothing too in depth.

Bottom line: it's your preference. There's no requirement that you'd have to meet at UPT with a computer.

Guest angrymonkey

High Speed Cable Internet is $55 / month for a month to month subscription with Cableone.net. I have it my UOQ room. Laptop is easier to carry, but either one is fine.