What does "Cannot be Released" mean?

tac airlifter

what exactly does AFPC mean when they say I cannot be released? do they mean I can never leave my current airframe, or that right now I can't leave the airframe and i should ask again later? I have another unit that i want to go to and they want me, and despite having 3.5 years time on station, AFPC won't let me go. so i don't know if i should try again, or if this is a permanent thing; anyone else face a similar situation?

what exactly does AFPC mean when they say I cannot be released? do they mean I can never leave my current airframe, or that right now I can't leave the airframe and i should ask again later? I have another unit that i want to go to and they want me, and despite having 3.5 years time on station, AFPC won't let me go. so i don't know if i should try again, or if this is a permanent thing; anyone else face a similar situation?

Without knowing too much of your situation...I suggest getting your sq/cc involved, if he doesn't support you then there isn't much chance of it happening.

good luck!

Sparky

he asked and i think he supports me (but he is new and doesn't really know any of us). he said i should ask again and i probably will since it is what i really want. but i don't know if i will be beating my head against a wall and never allowed to leave. i see guys leave and do other things, so i just don't understand what "not releasable" means. i am asking if that is a blanket statement and if i really try they'll let me go, or if those are magic words that lock me in place. i don't understand the system or the process.

Nothing is forever, it means right now you can't leave. Even if they did say you'll never be released, that also means nothing because stuff changes on a daily basis. I can vividly remember being briefed complete with charts on the pilot shortage that couldn't be fixed until 2012 at the earliest. Ask the TAMI 21 guys how that worked out.

Ditto on Sparky, if Sq/CC can't/won't fight for you you ain't going no where.

First, please try to use capitalization in your sentences: makes it easier to read.

I've never been an AFPC guy, but I deal with them daily on U-2 assignments. When I can't get a guy released, it's usually for one of three reasons:

--he's already been tapped to go to another assignment (oftentimes, a Predator);

--he upgraded to IP recently, and they need "payback" on the training

--he's in a community that is short manned in his crew position (Aircraft Commander, IP, etc..)

Example: we had a bomber pilot apply and we wanted to interview. Had the support of his Wing CC. AFPC said "no, he's going to the FTU, since he's a young IP, and we're short of IP's." AFPC went back to his OG, and a week later, his Wing reversed their position, and he PCS'd shortly thereafter to his FTU. Hopefully, he'll reapply after his FTU tour.

Guest Safe&Clear

Dude, lots of people are "not being released" lately. There's a war going on, and it's costing a sh!t-ton of money. And guess what? Moving thousands of people every year ain't cheap. Not too long ago, many were wondering and complaining about why we HAD to move every friggin 3 years just because of, well, "because!"

Well, tradition has finally taken a back-seat to economics, and the push to spend money and move folks around unnecessarily is gone.

About a year ago I was questioning AFPC on why I hadn't been given an new assignment yet. (I didn't really want one, but my CC was pushing me to GET one!) The "guru" at Randolph explained that the process was now like musical chairs: some folks are getting stuck in crappy chairs. I happened to be stuck in a nice chair, and have thoroughly enjoyed that fourth year of fishing, hunting, and beach-bumming...

You'll get the move. Just let your CC, the *gaining* CC, and AFPC know what you want. Then be patient.