Justice

ClearedHot

Philadelphia Inquirer

July 19, 2005

Prison For Burglars Of Marine's Widow

By Keith Herbert, Inquirer Staff Writer

Two heroin addicts were sentenced to state prison yesterday for burglarizing the Bridgeport apartment of a slain U.S. Marine while his widow was away making funeral arrangements for him last year.

Montgomery County Judge Paul W. Tressler sentenced Kevin Selvoski, 25, of Bridgeport, and Robert Coulson, 27, of Swedesburg, to 71/2 to 30 years in prison.

The prison sentences were longer than usual in part because of the "extreme emotional distress" that the victims suffered, Tressler said.

Both men had pleaded guilty to burglary and criminal conspiracy for breaking into the home of Cpl. John Todd 3d on July 3 last year. Todd was killed in Iraq by a roadside bomb on June 29, 2004.

Selvoski, who was a childhood acquaintance of Todd's, called his widow, Colleen Rado, on her cell phone to offer his condolences. Upon learning that no one was at the couple's apartment, Selvoski and Coulson decided to commit the burglary, they said in court.

They stole a computer and video games and went to Philadelphia to sell them. They returned with three bags of heroin.

"If I can't have my husband back, I'd like to see the people who betrayed him brought to justice," Rado said yesterday.

Carol Todd, John Todd's mother, said in court yesterday that she recalled seeing Selvoski at her son's wake with tears in his eyes.

"You think your heart can't break any more than it has," she said.

Selvoski and Coulson apologized to Todd's family yesterday. Selvoski said they decided to commit the burglary after spending all day drinking and getting high.

"I just want the family to understand," Selvoski said. "It wasn't personal. I would have done it to anybody."

Guest samsdog

I hope they get some "special" attention from their fellow inmates when they get to their new home.

I think some "special attention" is not in jail for 7.5 to 30 years while we feed them and let them watch tv and lift weights, but a tour in Iraq and their chance to clear houses or ride shotgun on a convoy.

Guest lovelacm
Originally posted by Eeyore:

I think some "special attention" is not in jail for 7.5 to 30 years while we feed them and let them watch tv and lift weights, but a tour in Iraq and their chance to clear houses or ride shotgun on a convoy.

Amen, brother. Let these boys see how men of honor live their lives. But would they make "the ultimate sacrifice" for the brothers they love so dearly? Lord knows, Cpl Todd did.

Thanks to the judge for his concern in the sentencing.

Linda

[ 19. July 2005, 15:40: Message edited by: Linda ]