DLA

barney

does anyone know if you can get DLA if you are not actually dislocating

example:

i will commission on JUNE 10-get married JUNE 17-EAD as an AD LT at my det on JUL 10-still living at my current location-i have heard yes and no to this question but no definitive answer-any help appreciated

and yes i searched

Guest scottaxelson

Im pretty sure your first assignment you get no DLA. And if your not going anywhere then Im almost certain you wont get any DLA. I dont know how much the rules have changed but as far as I can recall theres no DLA for your first PCS or assignment if your not moving.

Guest ruckerstud

I know that when I did almost exactly the same thing, I got no DLA. I didn't know what the JTR was at that time, so I didn't check.

that is one thing that i have heard-however i have also heard that i would be exempt from that rule because i would be married and have that one dependant (obviously)-apparently if you are married then you get DLA the first time around is the argument

And for more on DLA, look here. Also see questions 6 & 11 of the DLA FAQs:

Q6: Am I entitled to DLA when moving from my home of record to my first duty station?

A6: By law there is no DLA entitlement when the PCS is from your home (or the place where you entered active duty) to your first permanent duty station (PDS) unless your dependents actually move in connection with the PCS.

Q11: When is a 'Secondary DLA' payable?

A11: If your PCS orders are amended, modified, canceled or revoked you may be entitled to a Secondary DLA. See Q10 above and JFTR, par. U5630-B6.

At this time you are considered to be single/no dependents. Once you get married, you can get your orders ammended and then you should get it. Of course, ask your closest Accounting and Finance office to verify this, I am no Finance Officer!

Cheers! M2

Sorry, re-read your post. If you aren't moving, you aren't PCS'ing. No PCS, no DLA. When you actually make your first move, you will get DLA. Sitting at your Det doesn't count.

Just curious, why would you expect Dislocation Allowance if you know you aren't dislocating? That seems straightforward enough.

Cheers! M2

not expecting it-someone just said that i qualified so i started digging-one more thing-my home of record on all of my det paper work is georgia at my folks address-i have been living in Washington state-so if my HOR is GA then on paper i would be PCSing to my det in WA state right?

Go talk to a finance guru on base, however I think it depends on your statis at your det. After I graduated from the Zoo, I was PCS'd to the academy for close to a year, versus being casual? The gist being I got DLA when I finally moved to my UPT base, where as those who went straight there did not. Clear as mud?

Guest Chairborne Ranger

busdriver,

Were you staying on base at UPT?

Reason I ask is because DLA FAQ states that you only receive DLA if no government quarters are available/directed.

I figured I wouldn't be getting it since during UPT I'll probably be staying in the dorms.

Guest b1dev

I can say "no" to this as well. I went from an AGR (Guard position) into an Extended Active Duty position at an Army Post near my previous base, and did NOT get DLA. I asked (never hurts to ask), but they explained to me that if you're staying at the same base it's a PCA (Perm. Change of Assignment), and not a PCS, hence no DLA.