414th FG stands up at Seymour Johnson

Scooter14

Air Force Reserve to form F-15E associate detachment

I'm sure this is old news for the Mudhen guys, but it seems like a good deal to me.

What are the benefits to having an associate unit? Will these USAFR guys deploy with Strike Eagle squadrons to help fill gaps in the pilot/WSO ratios?

Even having read the article, I am not sure I know what it's all about.

What are the benefits to having an associate unit? Will these USAFR guys deploy with Strike Eagle squadrons to help fill gaps in the pilot/WSO ratios?

Even having read the article, I am not sure I know what it's all about.

The reserve unit will fly with the Formal Training Unit, so they shouldn't have to deploy. It's good in the sense you can hold on to highly experienced instructors who top out at Major or Lt Col, and its good for those getting to 20 years as they get to keep flying. There's probably details of this which I'm missing out on. Hoser -- Insight?

• 2 years later...

Whoa, cool!

But, what exactly is the role of this new unit? Is it a training outfit? Will they hire off-the-street pilot applicants?

Guest 12XU2A3X3

Whoa, cool!

But, what exactly is the role of this new unit? Is it a training outfit? Will they hire off-the-street pilot applicants?

well, it's an associate unit. they will fly the same jets as the active duty force. it sounds like they are trying to retain pilots by keeping them around in a reserve capacity. correct me if i am wrong, but i believe this is the first time the F-15E has been assigned to any type of reserve unit. i doubt very much that they will hire a ton of pilots of the street, but i would assume they will hire a few. this is pretty exciting news for any hopefuls who wanted guard/reserve and F-15Es.

well, it's an associate unit. they will fly the same jets as the active duty force. it sounds like they are trying to retain pilots by keeping them around in a reserve capacity. correct me if i am wrong, but i believe this is the first time the F-15E has been assigned to any type of reserve unit. i doubt very much that they will hire a ton of pilots of the street, but i would assume they will hire a few. this is pretty exciting news for any hopefuls who wanted guard/reserve and F-15Es.

Don't get your hopes up. This unit is specifically designed to augment the F-15E FTU. So unless you are already a current/qualified FTU instructor, your chances are slim...ie infinitesimally small.

Edited by Muscle2002

Guest 12XU2A3X3

Don't get your hopes up. This unit is specifically designed to augment the F-15E FTU. So unless you are already a current/qualified FTU instructor, your chances are slim...ie infinitesimally small.

ah, didn't realize they were an FTU. i was think about trying to go down there as a crew chief and slinking in that way. never mind!

ah, didn't realize they were an FTU. i was think about trying to go down there as a crew chief and slinking in that way. never mind!

They are an FTU, but that mostly applies to aircrew. The bulk of the hiring will be MX personnel and they need experienced people. F-15 MX training is moving here from Tyndall, so they are hiring a lot of experienced people.

Bingo. I called the unit when I heard about this a month back and got this response. Maybe somewhere down the line they'll hire a guy or two, but as of now they aren't.