Tinker AFB info

AmpXLZH

Does anyone have advice on housing at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma? I am headed there for casual at the end of July and my wife and I dont know if we should live off base or on base. Anyone have advice for what apartments to look at or what to definately not to look at? Thanks!

I'm casual at tinker right now, and another casual is living on base with his family. The housing isnt the best and because the property off base is cheap here so most folks live on base. If you want to live on base it shouldnt be a problem. As far as apts there are several right off base, PM for details if you want.

I am casual at Tinker...and am married...and live on base. In my opinion, living on base is a great deal while you are starting out (i.e. 01-04) No bills minus TV, cell phones and it is only for a year (or less) of your life. You will be able to save a lot or spend a lot depending on your preference.

If you have any questions just PM me.

Edited by Helo Hopeful

• 1 year later...

I'm PCSing to Tinker here in the next few weeks, and I'm trying to find a good place to live (long term). I'm planning on renting for 6mos before I buy a house so I have a better idea of where to look.

I've seen some lower-priced apartments in Midwest City, Del City, Norman, and NW Oklahoma, but have no idea what the neighborhoods are like. Also was looking at the houses between Tinker and Will Rogers, but again don't know what that area is like crime-wise (and if it's the kind of place I'd want to live).

Drive time isn't the biggest concern for me, as I'm mainly looking to live somewhere that my bike has less of a chance of getting stolen/not coming home and finding my neighbors dealing drugs in the parking lot/find my car there in the morning.

I'm also a single LT, so base housing is not an option.

Thanks for the help!

I'm also a single LT, so base housing is not an option.

Norman, OK due to OU (chicks, larger age relevant grouping, good prices.)

Edmund, OK, nice houses, decent prices, more the upper-end family environment.

Around the base itself, in my opinion, not so much.

There are other good areas, but it's been too long for my experiences there to be of any help.

I'd start by looking in Midwest City for lower priced apartments. The apartments there range from decent ($500 a month) to pricey ($1000), the town itself overall pretty safe. Take a look in Moore, there's plenty of apartments. You may also find a nice house to rent in Moore for a few months to a year. Norman is a great town but about 20 minutes from Tinker and more expensive. If you can find a bro to room with you need to look at living in downtown Oklahoma City. The Legacy and Deep Deuce are really nice, and safe too.Plus the bars are within walking distance. Drive time is about 15 min.

Avoid Del City, the apartments there aren't worth your time and it isn't safe. If and when you choose to buy your house you'll probably end up in the suburban paradise of Moore, like 90% of LT's at Tinker. Edmond falls into a price range you probably can't swing, and the drive is around 25 min.

PM me if you need further details man, good luck. And once you do arive in OK...beware of the drivers.

• 3 months later...
bump does anyone have anymore info on tinker? i just found out thats where im gonna be headed

I'm out here now, and the above pretty much sums it up. I'm in Moore, only because I didn't want to pay the $$$ for downtown, and didn't feel like driving to Norman every day. Overall, a pretty good place to be stationed. Not too far from Dallas, pretty decent bar scene, could be worse.

I'm out here now, and the above pretty much sums it up. I'm in Moore, only because I didn't want to pay the $$$ for downtown, and didn't feel like driving to Norman every day. Overall, a pretty good place to be stationed. Not too far from Dallas, pretty decent bar scene, could be worse.

Wow. I hated Oklahoma City. 3.2 beer, people are dumb, no good beer, crime, the weather sucks, red dust on everything, etc...

I enjoyed OKC in my time there, although in AWACS I was only there half the time.

Norman and most of Moore are nice. Edmund is good, too, but farther away. There are enclaves near Penn Square Mall near downtown, but it's old money and probably still expensive. The best place I've ever been for Christmas lights...

There should be a large swath of relatively new houses in Moore from the '99 tornado.

DFW is only 2 1/2 hours away, with a lot to do.

People made fun of me about Tinker, but since a few of them went to El Forko Grande and No Hope Pope, I think I got the last laugh.