AD Unit at Cheyenne?

sirjrod00

A guy in my class here at Little Rock told me one of his buddies got a call from Pope asking him if he wanted to go to Cheyenne instead of going to Pope once he got done at Little Rock. Also, I heard a rumor they were dropping Slicks to Cheyenne at Randolph now. Can anyone substantiate this?

Guest Hydro130

Yeah, Pete was in too, last I heard...

man, Pete and Cheyenne??? Nice deals!

Cheers, Hydro

Guest sickels101

I don't know about any rumors but Cheyenne is awesome. I would totally rather go to FE Warren than Pope any day of the week.

Guest mitch23

Yes. Cheyenne is a definite deal. I just made TSgt and it was put on my plate a possible PCS to Cheyenne. The problem I'm running across is that I'm planning on applying to OTS/UPT at the end of this year so if they PCS me to Cheyenne I won't have the 24 month Time on Station when I need it unless there's some sort of waiver.

Guest Slilock
Originally posted by wannaairlift:

I remember reading here that they were also going to create an AD unit to associate with the 302d AW at Peterson...was that true too?

Yeah but the Guard was easier to convince than AFRC. The new squadron is going to be the 30 AS and be admin assigned to Little Rock/463 AG (not FE Warren like some people thought) since they'll be an AMC unit. They've already announce the new Sq/CC two months ago and are starting to cut orders for people to go there but it's by invitation only right now.

Guest Navtastic
Originally posted by mitch23:

...unless there's some sort of waiver.

There is a waiver.

Guest Rainman A-10

I have been stationed in Cheyenne and Fayettenam.

Cheyenne is off the charts better.

Guest mitch23

What would be my chances of getting a waiver if I was selected for this PCS? 2 years ago I would have jumped on it. I'm 24 yrs old now and want to be careful about my age for applying for an OTS/UPT slot.

Guest Navtastic

I'm not a prior, so I don't know the specifics. I just know that there is, in fact, a waiver for TOS. You're going to have to work with your BESO on that one. Even if you do have to PCS, I don't think you're cutting it that close in terms of your age.

[ 17. June 2006, 12:51: Message edited by: Navtastic ]

Originally posted by sirjrod00:

Also, I heard a rumor they were dropping Slicks to Cheyenne at Randolph now. Can anyone substantiate this?

Im currently at RAFB with 60 days left to graduation and we have not heard of anything about getting slicks to either Cheyenne or Petterson. I know for a fact that the unit at Petterson will not be on the books untill FY08 and thats coming from a person in my class who is with the unit there. Trust me if we had that option to go to those units those would be one of the prime choices for some of the people here.

All that we have heard about those units is that the IN will have first choice to go there not the new navs.

[ 17. June 2006, 21:35: Message edited by: cragspider ]

Guest Slilock
Originally posted by cragspider:

Im currently at RAFB with 60 days left to graduation and we have not heard of anything about getting slicks to either Cheyenne or Petterson. I know for a fact that the unit at Petterson will not be on the books untill FY08 and thats coming from a person in my class who is with the unit there. Trust me if we had that option to go to those units those would be one of the prime choices for some of the people here.

All that we have heard about those units is that the IN will have first choice to go there not the new navs.

Originally posted by cragspider:

You don't have the option, yet. Like previously posted, it's by invitation right now. When standing up a squadron, they're looking for IPs and INs to fill the initial cadre. As a guy who hasn't finished nav school yet, you not on their radar. Don't expect them to get dropped for quite a while. The guys who are being given the option to go to Cheyenne while still at the Rock are all Pope guys and this most likely has to do with Pope's BRAC. Don't expect a slick to Cheyenne or Peterson to drop to Randolph or Corpus for awhile.

HD

Guest Rainman A-10

Last I knew, the associate units will have young guys. That's part of the point...get the young guys into an environment where they are surrounded by experience.

I've been out of the loop for a bit so my info could be totally wrong.

• 4 months later...
Guest thegotoguy

Any good info on where to live if assigned to the active/associate squadron in Cheyenne?

I've heard Cheyenne is ok, quite windy most of the year. How about Wellington, CO? 25-30 min commute to Cheyenne, closer to Ft Collins/Denver, is it worth it?

Appreciate the help/info!

Guest NOT_OSI
Originally posted by thegotoguy:

Any good info on where to live if assigned to the active/associate squadron in Cheyenne?

I've heard Cheyenne is ok, quite windy most of the year. How about Wellington, CO? 25-30 min commute to Cheyenne, closer to Ft Collins/Denver, is it worth it?

Appreciate the help/info!

Living in Ft Collins is worth it. I wouldn't consider Wellington at all.

Guest TheBurt

I just sold my place in Loveland/Ft.Collins, great place to live, and only an hour drive to WYANG in Cheyenne. Wellington is growing but is the middle of nowhere and your paying Colorado taxes, you might as well live in Cheyenne, cheaper taxes/shorter drive. If I was a single man, Ft. Collins can't be beat. Married, Fort Collins/Loveland can't be beat. Kids, Ft Collins/Loveland.

Guest Rainman A-10

I lived on John Morris' ranch on the west side of the base. I had access to 375,000 acres of huntng and fishing and I was minutes from the back gate. Base housing is excellent if you can get in there.

Guest Arborist

For any Nav/Students looking into this, Cheyenne is now an option for the Students out of Randolph. It wasn't planned until later in Fiscal '07, but after a slight AFPC mistake class 07-03 was offered the first C-130 Cheyenne drop as compensation. No one took it, so it is out there if you want it and perform well.

• 8 months later...