flyguyinthesky
-
Joined
-
Last visited
Posts posted by flyguyinthesky
-
-
On 11/20/2024 at 1:35 PM, 08Dawg said:
All that is old is new again....so what's the break out now? How does one get to be, say, an RJ nav vs RJ EW?
As far as I know there aren’t any Navs going out right now, but I know RC-135 slots are a little weird since you get further assigned once you’re at the FTU so I’m not an expert.
-
-
Small update in UCT info:
Track system is no more, looks like new classes can drop any airframe with no EWO/WSO/SO tracking necessary.
New ACJ FTU is being stood up so those should be dropping again in the near future.
Tons of RC-135 and C-130 drops recently, but still plenty of WSO’s.
OA-1K is alive and in the near future for CSO’s.
-
On 4/4/2024 at 2:00 PM, Wx2Flt said:
All fellow CSO-Selects, my CDB updated depicting a projected training of "CV4PP". Has anyone else received this code? Is that the UCT training? If so, I won't be starting training until next year!
I can speak for people who are here on casual, people are definitely getting class dates in 2025.
-
-
Edited by flyguyinthesky
@Wx2Flt I’m getting the same thing when I click any of the links on the page, not just the stats
edit: I also checked the mil book page and stats aren’t on there either.
-
-
-
4 hours ago, cantgh said:
UPT Select. 99 Pilot/ 91 PCSM/ PPL. First time applicant! Don't forget to focus on Commanders Ranking.
Hard to focus on something someone else gives you!
Obviously you can do certain things to improve odds but kinda sucks if you just happen to be competing against some rockstars.
-
26 minutes ago, goboldtigers said:
@FloridaMan26 hooked me up with the good news and my commander just confirmed it
UPT select let's goooooo
Let’s go man! Congrats
-
-
-
On 1/16/2024 at 11:18 AM, jxbh said:
AD AF non-rated LT looking at possibly applying for a guard/reserve pilot slot down the road. I would've thought that being an O already would be a benefit, since you wouldn't have to go to OTS and could go to UPT and subsequently be back at the squadron flying quicker than off the street hires, but in talking with some other folks it sounds like this may be the opposite? Any folks who have sat/currently sit on hiring boards have any insight? I wouldn't let this dissuade me if I decide this is a path I want to pursue, but I am curious on yall's thoughts.
Pretty much identical situation as you, interested to hear responses!
-
58 minutes ago, O Face said:
You are correct. Also, there’s no guarantee a heavy unit will take you if you don’t qualify to T-38’s. There’s plenty of people who didn’t make it and ended up in an RPA or worse.
How does this jive with T-38 allocations? Like if there are some guard guys who “make fighter grades” but then the cadre get told there’s no T-38 openings, what happens?
-
23 minutes ago, Av8 said:
I would say it’s 69% how well you do and the rest luck and timing. There was a track where they were making people go T-38s because they couldn’t fill all the slots and (more common) there have been tracks where there were multiple people who didn’t get 38s who wanted them. There is no shortage on T-38 tracks in UPT right now, and the timing couldn’t be better for the drops (exclusively fighter/bomber/faip) with Buffs going to the T-1 now. I interviewed at quite a few guard/reserve squadrons to no avail but ended up staying AD and am in 38s now. If you’re a late to rate dude it’s even better because they won’t FAIP you.
That’s actually really helpful info, hadn’t heard about Buffs moving to T-1’s!
-
-
2 hours ago, di1630 said:
Next time post your situation so we can guide you based on specifics. Sounds like you are not a cadet so your situation probably has some specifics people on here can help with.
Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile appYou’re right, should’ve provided more details. I’m already in, waiting for results on the active duty rated board and also pursuing the guard option.
-
Can’t hear tone over text, I’m sure it would sound different if we were in person. I’m not butt hurt, just didn’t seem productive.
I’ve been working at it for a few years now after not getting rated out of rotc. And I understand guard is more competitive, I dipped my toes in the guard world last year and know I’m going against 100-200 other people for a single slot, but the risk could be worth it with their unit and airframe. I’ll probably take you up on your offer, I’ve been using any resource I can get. Should know if I’ve got an AD slot this week. -
@di1630Hey screw me for having a dream, huh?
If you wanted to be a pilot but got offered a CSO slot would you take it in hopes for a cross train ETP later on or something? Or would you keep going for a pilot slot since that’s your goal?
Then maybe don’t hate on me for trying to do something that gives me the best shot at accomplishing a goal. If I want to be a fighter pilot why would I take an AD slot if they’re not giving any T-38 tracks? It’s all risk calculation, if I get a heavy then so be it and I won’t be a piss baby about it, but why would I set myself up with worse odds from the start?
-
Hola,
I've heard some talk about abysmal T-38 track rates at UPT recently (sometimes none at all), can anyone confirm? I'm currently in limbo trying to decide between an active duty slot (if I get one) or go all in on a guard fighter squadron that is my dream unit. I'm only really interested in fighters, which obviously makes UPT even more competitive and makes guard more alluring to me with the airframe guarantee. If UPT classes are hardly dropping any T-38's then that's a little dissuading for guys who are shooting something you might not get just based on availability.
Of course, even if I got an AD slot I wouldn't be at UPT for a year or two so everything can change, as the big blue does.
-
-
-
Edited by flyguyinthesky
33 minutes ago, simsans said:However, I do see the argument that that the less diverse our pilot corps are the more likely an amazing candidate that is a minority may feel intimated to apply hurting our potential as a force in the future that can snowball. We have seen that in our history as Americans in professional sports or executive positions.
Just throwing my two cents, don’t crucify me.
If you’ve already made it to commissioning then you should know you won’t get far in life without pushing boundaries. My biggest successes in my short time in were all due to me just walking up to people I didn’t know and into places I wasn’t known. Thinking “I don’t want to try this thing because I’ll be the only *insert characteristic* person…” is a pretty good reason itself that they shouldn’t do that thing. If they’re an amazing candidate but have the mindset that their skin color or whatever else might make it harder and therefor they won’t do it, I don’t think they’re an amazing candidate. I would rather have a system that might make some people feel that way than a system that instills doubt in everybody because you never know if you’ll get the spot or not due to things you can’t control like you race or gender.
-
CSO drop nights
in Combat Systems Officer (CSO)
Update on general UCT drop trends:
RC-135 is still popular as ever, there’s been a generous number of strike eagles, AC-130J’s seem like they’re in full swing, and Growlers are totally off the table now so the only “WSO” platforms now are F-15E, B-1, and B-52, although new classes don’t have traditional tracks anymore.