ROTC Class/Commander Ranking

Guest afrotccadet

Guest afrotccadet

I have just joined ROTC on the two year program. I basically have less than a year before I apply to UPT...

So the big question is...what spefic things should I concentrate on doing to "impress" my commander (I know how important that commander's rating is)

All former and current ROTC cadets, please advise!!!

Thank you.

Guest volman800

After seeing AFROTC operate for 5 years as a cadet, and talking to numerous friends who have served as ADD Lts here (cadre members), you'd be surprised at how little the PAS actually knows about each cadet, even the ones who have been around since day one. When racking and stacking you, he's going to pull out all of the objective facts (GPA, PFT, AFOQT, etc) to base his subjective ranking on. Of course if you can, take on any jobs around the Det to get noticed--that can only help. However, if your scores are where they need to be, have confidence that your PAS (an AF Colonel) will take care of you and make sure you get what you deserve. I really haven't seen a case where a cadet didn't have enough time to make a reasonable impression. Best of luck!

Volman

Guest C-21 Pilot

Why not go ask the Cadre what they look for in a UPT candidate? That way, you not only have the info directly from the horses mouth, you have also given them some face time as well as letting them to know that you are seeking a pilot slot.

You'd be surprised at how much of a difference persona can play in an evaluation. Imagine being a CC and not knowing a face to a name? How would you know what this person is or isn't like unless you made some face time....

Good Luck, and look sharp

I was in the same boat 3 1/2 years ago (Wow, I can't believe it's been that long ago). I joined AFROTC as a two year cadet. First, follow the advice of what the others have already said.. But remember, if you come off as just having joined to get a pilot's slot, the other cadets aren't going to take kindly to you.

The cadre at my Det. were very interested in seeing how well you worked with other cadets, and how serious you were with wanting to be an officer above and beyond being a pilot. They wanted to see cadets take the initiative to get things done.

A few specific things that you can do as a two year cadet. 1) Don't use the "I'm a 2 year cadet and they never get the "high profile" jobs. Apply for the jobs in the Det. that you think you can do a great job at and then do it. Don't be afraid to request a leadership role. 2) Do well on the PFT. Get in shape! 3) Do well at Field Training. Although your results may not be in your packet for the Pilot board, it can help in the end. (It did for me) 4) And finally, get involved with your classmates. Interaction is an important aspect that the cadre often look for as far as your potential on AD.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.. Good luck!

I agree completely. I went through 2 PAS's when I was in ROTC and I made damn sure that they both knew what my goals were. Granted that you need to show them that you want to be an officer first, but most PAS's are good guys who know if you're serious about it or not. If you make sure to tell your PAS about your intentions and also show him your interest in aviation, he will more than likely think about you when categorization time gets close. Do your part to help him out in ROTC (work hard, don't get into trouble) and he'll do his part to help you out as well. However, just like anyplace in the military, ROTC has its sure but small share of dickheads in PAS spots.

PD

• 11 months later...
Guest kylejustin

Does anyone know how the class ranking (UCR) is calculated? Is it solely based on your AS class GPA or are other things considered? Also, is class ranking and order of merit (OM) the same thing?

Thanks

Guest skipplet

It's the most subjective thing you'll ever come across in your life. Sometimes its based on GPA, sometimes it isn't. Mostly it's a combination of a lot of things, and ultimately it's how the cadre percieves with respect to your peers.

Order of Merit - a search for that will benefit you more than a quick summary.

[ 21. December 2004, 01:04: Message edited by: Karl ]

Guest Mave1Rick3

Yea for the OM just do a search and you will find it all, if you have any questions PM and i can help you.

The class ranking is really hard to explain..Its party dependent on your grades in your AS classes, but the commander shouldnt consider your regular gpa and pft into his ranking. If he is a good commander should consider all of your activities as a cadet ( positions, initiative to do stuff and get it done well, how you perform under stress, and compared to your peers in your class). Just do the best you can in your position, and step up for positions if possible. Always keep your grades up though, because with out your grades you wont have degree and are no good to the airforce.

• 1 year later...
Guest Sebastian

Just speculation - that you lead by example, respected by other cadets, and not a ROTC douche.

Guest Spitfire

Any commander can look at any number of things. If you work hard at everything you do, stay out of trouble, and acquire some good people skills, getting a good commander's ranking will be no sweat.

I think this is a trick question, from what I've seen in ROTC.

If you want a good CC rating (at your Det, FT, wherever)...you don't want to be LOOKING for it. Kind of tricky. If you're really trying to look good for someone else, it shows, and people can pick up on it. Your rating could suffer, because no one likes a kiss-ass. However, if you work hard, volunteer for things that don't have rewards, and hold a friendly disposition, it should work itself out naturally.

Of course, having opportunities to talk to your APAS is always helpful, so they know who you are.

It depends, I've got one friend who does it ALL. He's in AAS, Drill Team Commander, Color Guard Commander, was a flight commander, takes like 20 hours every semester, great PFT, and goes all out with everything he does, and he's a great guy (i.e. not a douche). He's in the top 3 or 4. Then me: I don't do AAS, Color Guard, Drill Team, etc..., I do work a bunch at what job I'm given for the semester, but I mostly work on keeping my grades up in an engineering major. I'm ranked higher.

I think its mostly about your "potential to be a good leader/officer". I was prior-E, so I know how to play the game. The youngins' need to practice a bit more with all the extra stuff. So, like Toro said, volunteer for as much as possible and perform those duties well.

Guest cb03t
Originally posted by Toro:

Volunteer for as much as possible and perform those duties well.

I think this is right on. And about the kissing ass thing, you can volunteer and do a good job AND not be a kiss ass. Chances are, your det has a lot of things to get accomplished, and as a GMC, or a first year POC, you can do a lot of those things, just ask your supervisor.

In addition to be a kick ass cadet, getting the numbers will give you an edge in the rankings. Having great grades, PFT scores and camp score make it hard for your PAS to rank you too poorly. Hope that helped.

• 2 years later...
Guest F16crewdwgg

Ok, so I'm transfering DETS and it's an odd situation but I will be doing FT next summer and then dual enroll in AS 300-400 classes. Anyway I had planned on joining a drill team or something and help out with fundraisers for the detatchment. Well along with school I also work, which is mostly on the weekends as a computer tech... The new DET is over an hour away so I know joining the Drill team will be impossible as I am not going to drive an hour for practice a couple times a week for meets. I currently do meals on wheels on my own time for charity work and will be a dorm floor leader. What are some other things I can do for the whole person concept? It's a real shitty situation because I had my heart set on some type of percision drill for extra activities but it's just not going to happen now.

Ok, so I'm transfering DETS and it's an odd situation but I will be doing FT next summer and then dual enroll in AS 300-400 classes. Anyway I had planned on joining a drill team or something and help out with fundraisers for the detatchment. Well along with school I also work, which is mostly on the weekends as a computer tech... The new DET is over an hour away so I know joining the Drill team will be impossible as I am not going to drive an hour for practice a couple times a week for meets. I currently do meals on wheels on my own time for charity work and will be a dorm floor leader. What are some other things I can do for the whole person concept? It's a real shitty situation because I had my heart set on some type of percision drill for extra activities but it's just not going to happen now.

Toro said it best IMO

I know around the det here, people get up and ask for volunteers every damn day, and you can tell the people who are insane over getting pilot slots, because theirs hands shoot up like rockets. If you have the time for it, do it. If you don't have the time for it, make up for it by doing good in other areas.

Guest F16crewdwgg

Toro said it best IMO

I know around the det here, people get up and ask for volunteers every damn day, and you can tell the people who are insane over getting pilot slots, because theirs hands shoot up like rockets. If you have the time for it, do it. If you don't have the time for it, make up for it by doing good in other areas.

Right but the DET is over an hour away.. so your saying if I cant volunteer much at the det.. then just do good at like GPA and do what i can at the university?

Right but the DET is over an hour away.. so your saying if I cant volunteer much at the det.. then just do good at like GPA and do what i can at the university?

Yes, but do what you can at the Det - you don't have to be there for everything. I was a comm major (proof positive that college majors do not matter) and editor of our university paper, so I volunteered to do a Det newsletter. It was just a single-page letter that got put out every other week with general AF and aircraft info, upcoming Det events, and pictures from recent Det events. I was crosstown from my Det and did it all back at home, then brought it in to be printed.

You could also volunteer for things that require more phone/email coordination than being in place (organizing events, for example).

In absence of something like either of those, just do well in the Det and keep your GPA up. Your PAS know your situation and surely won't expect you to travel outside of the scheduled requirements (especially with gas prices).

Good advice so far, but I don't think one very important topic has been covered: don't frickin' brown nose! True story: a certain cadet was very good at said technique, so when time came for class call signs, the senior class said he was always "hurrying" like UPS. "What can brown do for you?" So they called him brown. Very clever. But don't be that guy.

• 3 months later...
Guest C17hopefull

So this is somewhat related as it involves Commanders ranking, if you are a 5th year cadet and don't graduate with your class that you started with and instead graduate the next year with the class below you, how does that affect your commanders ranking? Do you take the one from your original class or are you added into the class below yours?

So this is somewhat related as it involves Commanders ranking, if you are a 5th year cadet and don't graduate with your class that you started with and instead graduate the next year with the class below you, how does that affect your commanders ranking? Do you take the one from your original class or are you added into the class below yours?

You are ranked based on the fiscal year you graduate. So if you are a 5 year guy, then you will be ranked with the class below you.

As far as how it effects your ranking, it can go either way. In my graduating class, we had three 5 year guys. One guy was in the top 5 (good grades, involved, good attitude), and the other two were in the bottom for the exact opposite. It is all based on the individual.

Good advice so far, but I don't think one very important topic has been covered: don't frickin' brown nose! True story: a certain cadet was very good at said technique, so when time came for class call signs, the senior class said he was always "hurrying" like UPS. "What can brown do for you?" So they called him brown. Very clever. But don't be that guy.

Class call signs? WTF? Is that a joke?