More than one offer

Guest wilco

What if you have an alternate slot at a unit and they tell you that you are pretty much guaranteed the next slot that opens but nothing is on paper, would you be hesitant about applying to a different unit?

If a unit held it against you for continuing to look/apply under those conditions, you probably wouldn't want to go there anyway. I've listened to some of the feedback from some of the selections at my unit and I have heard the guys mention that alternates stated that they would keep looking. I never heard anyone say "Well screw him then!" The sentiment was always "I don't blame him, I would too."

If a unit held it against you for continuing to look/apply under those conditions, you probably wouldn't want to go there anyway. I've listened to some of the feedback from some of the selections at my unit and I have heard the guys mention that alternates stated that they would keep looking. I never heard anyone say "Well screw him then!" The sentiment was always "I don't blame him, I would too."

Yup...That is what I did. Alternate at one unit, went shopping, got picked up by another unit. Dudes from the original unit wished me luck and said they would have done the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a simlar situation. I landed two interviews in two different parts of the country. I went and intervied with the first unit and was waiting to hear back from them for a couple of weeks. During this couple of weeks the other unit invited me to interview with them and I told them I would interview with them. Long story short, the original unit gave me the slot the day before I was suppose to go interview with the second unit. I called the second unit and let them know I would not be attending their interview board. They wished me well and told me its no surprise another unit picked me up.

• 1 year later...

This may be an old topic, but here is my experience. I shotgunned packages nationwide to whoever would take a package. I visited a unit and a week later had a formal interview at another. Less than a week after the formal interview I interviewed with the unit I first visited. 24 hours after I interviewed with the second guard unit, they called me and offered me a slot. Of course, I said yes! 2 weeks after accepting that slot, the first unit called me back and offered me a slot. I explained them the situation and they understood. It's not a big deal. They understand that guys really really really want to fly airplanes and some are willing to go great lengths to get hired. As long as your not an asshole, and I'm sure you're not, they'll understand. In fact, in every single interview I had, I was asked if I had applied to other units and I was completely honest with them. Just like you love to fly, so do they and they want to see how hard your working at getting hired.

Just my $0.02, and good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

...they'll understand. In fact, in every single interview I had, I was asked if I had applied to other units and I was completely honest with them. Just like you love to fly, so do they and they want to see how hard your working at getting hired.

Just my $0.02, and good luck!

Not to complicate things, but this can be a two-edged sword of advice. I would say it depends entirely on the mindset of the unit, and those on the interviewing board.

I know on the board I got picked-up on, and the one that I helped out on as a POC, my unit was looking for someone committed to flying for us. Not to say that they expected the final five who get interviews to say we were the only choice, but I now know from experience that all our selects the past three years had their eggs in only one basket.

That complicated things, didn't it?

• 1 month later...

I was picked up as an alternate at my old base (KC-135), but then selected as a primary down the road for F-16 about 2 weeks later. A few days later I was offered the KC-135 job as well. Of course most would say this is a no brainer, unless you felt like you wanted a quicker way to the airlines... Nonetheless I choose to go the fighter route first, knowing that down the road (if desired) I'd be able to fly heavies if I wanted to...but not the other way around.