Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest doctidy

USAF / USA / USN / USMC Vision

I recently did my FC1. They said that my refractive error was out of limits. So for myopia it's -3.00 both eyes and for astigmatism it was -0.25 both eyes. How could that be?

Hey guys I'm an upcoming AFROTC senior just returning from my FC1 at Wright-Patt. Unfortunately I was told up there that I will be DQ'd from pilot due to "abnormal corneal topography". Regardless of my perfect 20/20 vision, good depth perception scores, and no color vision issues the ophthalmologist told me that my case has no chance for a waiver because my corneas are too thin. I am just trying to find out if this doctor doesn't know what he is talking about and I should pursue a waiver, or if I should look into other rated positions. Thanks guys. 

Posted (edited)

Cornearip - if you're still around this is the link to the ~960 page medical waiver document... good luck. 

https://www.wpafb.af.mil/Portals/60/documents/711/usafsam/USAF-Waiver-Guide-190916.pdf

Check page 424. Since I don't know the specifics of your diagnosis you'll have to read that and potentially do a follow up appointment. I'd bring this a copy of the applicable section of this document with you to a follow up. 

Edited by abmwaldo
Specificity.