Reserve vs. Guard

Guest dbchandler1

Wow Sleepy, that is a tough one. You might want to talk to the ESGR. On one of the ESGR's Webpages it stated "Federal law guarantees the right to take time off from work to attend to your military responsibilities." I agree with letting an employer know ASAP of a deploment.

I know the goal is to keep a pipelined student on active duty until all the training is done, it actually works better for an employer (training/retraining).

Best of luck sleepy and let me know what you find out

Robes

[ 19. December 2005, 21:45: Message edited by: Robes ]

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KoolKat

Sleepy...

A mud raker, never would have thought.

The concept of an "at will employment" state is retarded.

I hope your research turns up the proper results. Certainly, we would hear about the guys in GA that are coming back from the sand box, if they weren't coming back to jobs, right?

BENDY

Robes, thanks a million!

Bendy, oh how you jest!

I have heard of some GA folks being given grief from their employers, but not losing the jobs. Keep in mind, they carry a mil ID, I don't (not yet, at least.)

I am, if I may toot my own horn, an outstanding employee. But the company is, of course, business-minded. The position I hold is by no means prestigious, but it is a difficult one to fill--extremely steep learning curve and few will willingly deal with the customers I have to deal with in person. My immediate supervisor would be glad to have me back (I make his life easy), but the GM is in charge of finding someone to replace me. Business-minded as he is, I worry that he would just assume cut me loose before I fall under USERRA's protection and only go through the asspain of retraining someone once, instead of twice. Placing me into a position of equal status upon return would quite honestly be a waste of resources. Of course, much of this depends on class dates, which at this point are merely conjectures from the commander.

Gentlemen, again, thanks!

Guest rangerbob5

Ok...here are my two cents:

I would tell them that you are a part time guard/reservist.

Do not tell them of any impending long-term commitments...and here is why.

The defense of the nation is the responsibility of everyone...not just the servicemember. As a guardsmen or reservist, you should not have to live your civilian life differently because of your commitment to serve. Furthermore, if you eliminate yourself from civilian competition, you will always be behind and punishing yourself for something that is noble and providing a benifit to the whole nation.

Your UPT slot is NOT SET IN STONE. Lots of things can happen between now and then, so to take yourself out of the running for a good career prospect to wait on something that is not 100% is, in my opinion, foolish.

Get the job, tell them you have a part time guard commitment, then give them two weeks activation notice. When you go, tell them you have been activated as a result of the War on Terror, and you will need to attend training with a follow on deployment.

It is illegal for an employer to discriminate against you based upon your guard/reserve status! If you were steered away from a job, you could get a lawyer and sue them!

If they told you to re-apply after your UPT or UNT commitment, that is like telling a black person "come back when you are white", or "come back after you convert to Christianity"

It is none of their business and it is Illegal!

[ 20. December 2005, 14:45: Message edited by: rangerbob5 ]

Originally posted by rangerbob5:

Ok...here are my two cents:

I would tell them that you are a part time guard/reservist.

Okay, let's see what I can do with this. Hmmm...currently, I am not "a part time guard/reservist." See post above where I noted that I have not yet enlisted.

Your UPT slot is NOT SET IN STONE. Lots of things can happen between now and then, so to take yourself out of the running for a good career prospect to wait on something that is not 100% is, in my opinion, foolish.
True, my slot is not set in stone. One of the things that can happen between now and then is AMS. That six week period away from work is the reason I asked in the first place.

If you were steered away from a job, you could get a lawyer and sue them!
Again, I currently have a job. If they terminate me before I enlist because of impending activations and impending inconveniences to them, I don't have much of a case to "get a lawyer and sue them!"

If they told you to re-apply after your UPT or UNT commitment, that is like telling a black person "come back when you are white", or "come back after you convert to Christianity"
And now, the lighter, jovial side of sleepy:

First, I doubt you meant that black folks are not Christians. What if I were to tell you that I am black? What about a black Christian? Second, people convert to Christianity every day. I don't know of any celestial being or agency who keeps track of this, though, so I am unable to provide a reference. Finally, on your first contention, I submit this into evidence.

operationMJ.jpg

Damn pennies!

Smartass response off. Seriously, I do appreciate it, even though everything in this post suggests I don't.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thebronze

Sleepy,

Not sure I understand your situation exactly, but USERRA states:

(a) A person who is a member of, applies to be a member of, performs, has performed, applies to perform, or has an obligation to perform service in a uniformed service shall not be denied initial employment, reemployment, retention in employment, promotion, or any benefit of employment by an employer on the basis of that membership, application for membership, performance of service, application for service, or obligation
Further:

© An employer shall be considered to have engaged in actions prohibited-

(1) under subsection (a), if the person's membership, application for membership, service, application for service, or obligation for service in the uniformed services is a motivating factor in the employer's action, unless the employer can prove that the action would have been taken in the absence of such membership, application for membership, service, application for service, or obligation for service; or

If this section applies to you then good, but if it doesn't yet, I (personally) wouldn't show my hand to my employer.

You need to be intimately familiar with the legal provisions of USERRA, because there are right's/responsibilities for both you and your employer contained therein (how's that for legalese!)

Read everything applicable on this site:

http://www.esgr.org/members2/thelaw.asp?c=userra0.html

Learn it, know it...live it.

Good luck!

Guest sleepy

Johann,

Looks like I'm covered, although I still think I'll hold my cards close until I see "Airman" before my name and some dates on paper. Many thanks!

• 4 months later...
Guest reservist

I am currently in the process of applying to several guard/reserve units for a pilot slot. My question is what is the commitment for a pilot in the guard/reserves? I know that AD is 10 years but I have heard mixed opinions for the guard/reserves. I have heard that it is supposedly 10 years as well but you could get out earlier if you wanted since it is the guard/reserves. Not that this would change my desires to get hired with a unit as a pilot, I just want all of the correct information up front as well as no surprises in the interview.

Guest SnakeT38

Guard/Reserve all have the same rules as AD as far as how long the "book" says you must serve

after training. What you actually do is sometimes debatable AND what kind of person you are.

If the unit were to close/change missions then they must offer you a slot for the new mission, if they don't then many times people just fade away. If you become a pain in the ass then I have seen records "sent" to Denver and you disappear.

In times like these you MAY not be off the hook

and will find yourself "activated" in some sheatt

job counting tortillas on the shelf in Balad.

Usually not a good sign to be encouraged to leave early, if you choose to keep flying, the "new boss" might call the "old boss" and you are done befoe you start.

After I performed "manual bailout" from the 100 FTS, USAFR came up with commitment letters for anyone that is sent to a school, not sure how they enforce these in a "robust" economy but they are out there.

DOn't go "in" planning on your exit, it will happen no matter what, hopefully all involved

are satisfied when "your day is done".

Guest JeffCav

No. AFRC and ANG do not operate under all the same rules as active duty.

I am a new AFRC pilot candidate and just got to Vance. I am under an eight year committment.

AFRC has a lot of it's own rules that do not overlap with the active duty side.

Guest JeffCav

Yeah...that's old. It's dated Nov 2003.

I wish I had an AFI reference, but I distinctly remember signing/seeing something that specifically stated an eight year committment.

I'm open to the possibility of being wrong, but I do know that AFRC has it's own committment separate from active duty.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SnakeT38
Originally posted by JeffCav:

Yeah...that's old. It's dated Nov 2003.

I wish I had an AFI reference, but I distinctly remember signing/seeing something that specifically stated an eight year committment.

I'm open to the possibility of being wrong, but I do know that AFRC has it's own committment separate from active duty.

You are wrong............

Guest rumblefish_2

Like Snake hinted at before, the Guard/Reserve pretty much do their own thing. If they hired you the they want you to be there for a long time. Unless you prove that you shouldn't be there (or prove yourself to not be a bro), then they will find a way to help you move along. If you figure out that you don't want to be there, they again will help you move along. Case in point, a dude from my unit was here about two years and decided for personal reasons that he couldn't be here anymore. The unit let him go with best wishes. There are very few absolutes in the Guard...except for sexual assault...don't buy anyone any double whiskey sours...ever.

• 6 months later...
Guest captnick

Im looking to go either ANG or AFReserve. Im wondering whats the difference bewteen the two and how the application process goes? Thanks

Guest captnick

Let me rephrase my question since the one I gave earlier was too vague. When you’re in the reserves, are you stationed on a base like the guard through out your time in the military with out having to move around like you will for active duty? What is the time commitment for the reserves/guard? Do the reserve units get called up more/less or about the same as the guard guys? Do you stick to one type of aircraft like you do in the guard? What’s the pay difference between the two? Do you have to go active duty first to get into the reserves or can you apply like a civilian as you would for a guard unit? I hope this clarifying enough

When you’re in the reserves, are you stationed on a base like the guard through out your time in the military with out having to move around like you will for active duty?
Yes, you stay at one base.

What is the time commitment for the reserves/guard?
Depends on what you sign up for and it's the same for both. I believe pilots still get 10 years.

There's not much difference in call up rates. Pay is the same for both see this for a pay explanation. Unless your unit switches aircraft or you switch units you’ll stay on the same aircraft. The only real difference between the guard and the reserves is the state has some control of the guard units.

Guest captnick

Ok great. Does anybody still know how to apply for the reserves? Is it any different from appyling for a guard base? Thanks for the help

Guest OldHercNav

One other difference, the Guard has a State commitment that the USAFR does not have. Peacetime the Guard "reports" to the Governor of that state and is subject to state call-up as well as Federal Activation. The USAFR can get involved in homeland defense/national emergencies but in a different way. Does not make a big difference on day to day flying and long-term aviation career, but it is a difference to consider.

[ 15. December 2006, 14:31: Message edited by: OldHercNav ]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest christomlinson

Do you have to have prior service in order to enter the USAF Reserve flight training?

If you do get selected, do you go to AMS in Tennessee, or OTS?

Lastly, is there any website that gives information on entry into the USAFR?

• 3 weeks later...

Where is the best place to search for deployment opportunities for guard/reserve guys? I've looked on AFPC and ang.com and haven't had much luck. I'm a tanker guy and have talked to the guard bureau about doing a tour in the tanker, but the active duty units seem to be having less stuff available for PIQs. I'd be looking from anything from a TACC tour, to being on the ground in Baghdad with a rifle (former Marine - so I dig that stuff!). Any leads???

Thanks for any help.

It depends who you talked to at ANGB. There is someone in A3 who specializes in deployments for ANG tankers. Eventually, there has to be some SIPR website w/ this. That is how it works on the enlisted side (SIPR website).