Recruiters Assistance Program

barney

Has anyone heard of or participated in the Recruiters Assistance Program (RAP). from what I understand it is a program that a Lt. on their way to say SERE for example may have some time off and can then request to go to a colege where there is an ROTC detachment and participate as a recruiter. It is done to get free leave essentially. Any information?

[ 28. August 2006, 04:29: Message edited by: Toro ]

Did it TWICE as an Airman, but not since I've commissioned. Free trip home (well, no leave taken). I know it exists for officers though, my ROTC det had one or two LTs do it after SUPT.

Call your old ROTC det and see whatsup.

You should be able to find some other posts about it by searching.

I did it while on casual waiting for pilot training. You can get up to 12 days (only one weekend). It is considered a permissive TDY so you don't get to file a travel voucher. My experience with it was that it was free leave.

Your best bet is to contact a recruiter that you know and see if they are willing to let you participate in it. Then you just fill out the right forms (you should be able to find the RAP form online somewhere) and get your commander and the recruiters commander to sign it. It takes some back and forth faxing but it really isn't much hassle. PLUS its free leave.

I haven't really heard of anyone doing RAP before SERE. It is more of something you do soon after commissioning.

My experience with it as an Airman is what was said above, 2 weeks (12 days) of free leave. And it's something that can be done once each year, so I knew Airmen who would go home on leave for 2 weeks, and also do RAP in conjunction - and get a 2 week extension. They did it every year. Yeah it's not totally free time as you "work", but I wouldn't call what I did work...just helped out. I think the hardest thing I did was to stamp and seal a bunch of envelopes for the mail. Don't know what the particularities of it would be for an officer, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too much of a brain-buster.

Free leave...twelve days, and can only include one weekend.

I went to an OTS recruiting place, and I did minimal work. I mostly read while they waited to go visit campuses and stuff, then I would just tag along, eat lunch with the SSgt and he would tell me to leave. Probably about 3-4 hours max a day. Like Chuck's experience, most I did was put stickers on envelopes.

My friends that went back to their ROTC units though were actually put to a "work day", showing up around 8 and staying until 4 doing paperwork, manual labor, or just sitting there waiting for the day to end.

• 1 year later...

I know there's some program out there where APT LT's can go back to their det for like a week on TDY, when I was a junior some guys did it back at my det. I tried seaching around though and couldn't find out anything about it anywhere. Anyone know how to do it? (sts)

Guest Monte

Its called the Recruiters Assistance Program. Talk to your commander and see if he/she will authorize it. Its a permissive TDY, so don't expect any money for travel.

You can find the form on AF Pubs. You can get up to 12 days of time, but they will charge the first and last day as leave. You have to fill out a paper through leave web. As long as your CC and your ROTC Det CC approve, your golden.

Hope this helps,

-Cucci

Try looking in AFI 36-3003. Page 61, I did the same thing about a year ago. Already been said but it is only a PTDY so you won't get paid anything but it's a pretty good deal to go back to your college town and party.

Cheers, :beer:

I did it too. I gave a little speech and drank a lot of alcohol.

Liquor prices in college towns are just freaking amazing if you're actually earning a paycheck. I think I bought 6 to 9 rounds and had a bill less than $50.

...ah...college...I miss you...

I know there's some program out there where APT LT's can go back to their det for like a week on TDY, when I was a junior some guys did it back at my det. I tried seaching around though and couldn't find out anything about it anywhere. Anyone know how to do it? (sts)

You can go back on what is called Permissive TDY. You don't get paid, but you don't get charged leave - I did it when I was waiting for pilot training. The reference is 36-3003.

You'll need to talk to your gaining unit and/or commander for approval.