Age Waivers

Hi all, very positive advice here. However I am discouraged after talking to an Oregon Air Guard recruiter about applying at their fighter squadron for the pilot position. I am 31 years old, prior enlisted aviation pretty officer (5 years, avionics technician) on Coast Guard helicopters with over 100 hours flown as the flight mechanic. However, he (a master sergeant) said he has never seen anyone get hired at a fighter squadron with an age waiver before, and that if you don’t have a private pilots license they won’t even bother with you. (Which I don’t have) He said they get about 100-200 applicants for a couple of slots. Should I still try and apply? And are there air guard units out there that are more willing to entertain an age waiver?  Apparently it is possible from reading others’ experience on this forum, but I find it hard to find any. 

Hi all, positive news here. However I was discouraged today from the Ang recruiter saying  that he has never seen any age waivers go through for the fighter squadron I was interested in applying. I am 31 and am prior enlisted aviation, avionics technician and flight mechanic on Coast Guard helicopters. He also said the squadrons don’t bother with anyone who don’t have their private pilots license. Although it seems that I have seen a lot of success stories with people getting age waivers here, but I haven’t been able to seem to find any units that will acknowledge that this is a possibility. So I should I just apply anyways, or keep applying at other units until one takes me? Please share your guys’ approach.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:14 PM, Nino said:

Hi all, positive news here. However I was discouraged today from the Ang recruiter saying  that he has never seen any age waivers go through for the fighter squadron I was interested in applying. I am 31 and am prior enlisted aviation, avionics technician and flight mechanic on Coast Guard helicopters. He also said the squadrons don’t bother with anyone who don’t have their private pilots license. Although it seems that I have seen a lot of success stories with people getting age waivers here, but I haven’t been able to seem to find any units that will acknowledge that this is a possibility. So I should I just apply anyways, or keep applying at other units until one takes me? Please share your guys’ approach.

Keep applying. Recruiters can say what they want, and they may be right. But even if they are correct and you have no shot, the worst result is that you don't get an interview. Funny enough,this is the same result you get by not applying.

So send in your packet, they may throw it out, but at least then you know. Bottom line, don't let anyone but the hiring board tell you no.

Absolutely apply anyway. Make THEM tell you no, don’t tell yourself. 

• Upvote 1

Let the chief pilot say no to you... and even after saying No, if your persistent, perhaps they might consider you. Don’t listen to the recruiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Age cut-off is 33, you don't need an age waiver so you're solid. As for what the others have said above... Let the board tell you "no", so throw you're app at anyone and everyone that you wanna fly with/for.