Letters of Recommendation

I'm currently putting together my packet for the applications, and I had a couple questions about the letters of recommendation:

1. I know (very well) a retired Vice Admiral F/A-18 pilot, and regularly interact with F/A-18 pilots (I know, I'm very lucky). I also know a retired F-16 ANG guy pretty well, and a retired C-130 pilot (AD and reserves I believe). So I'm most likely going to choose the Vice Admiral and the F-16 pilot since I'm rushing fighter squadrons, but who do I choose as my third? Would a squadron be more interested in the F/A-18 pilots I work around, or a C-130 guy that I know through my dad, and happens to be a really good guy that helped talk me into going ANG/AFRC rather than AD?

2. If there are a maximum of 3 letters of recommendation for an applicant. Would it be more beneficial to have all 3 as fighter pilots, or does that give off the sense that I'm saying, "look who my dad knows"? I know the pilots pretty well, but I can honestly say I would have never known them if my dad wasn't a pilot.

Edited by tk1313

17 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

The consensus from most units seems to be that you want letters that speak to you as a person, or highlight contributions you've made. If you can slide in that they're military guys, then even better. I keep hearing that the last thing they want is someone with 3 letters from guys/gals who don't really know you. As for the airframe thing? I'm honestly not qualified to answer that, hopefully someone else can speak to it.

If I were you, I'd ask for letters from everyone who you think would give you one. Then you just have to sit down, read through them all and pick the best. Always better to have options.

This and this.  Its not so much who they are from, but what they say and how credible they are.  I had a letter from a previous supervisor who an AD crew chief, a previous supervisor who happened to be a retired colonel in the marines, an MTL from tech school, and my current shop supervisor at my ANG unit.

Get as many as you can, and pick the ones that you feel speak the best about you.  Don't submit a letter just because it is from someone you think will impress the board. 

• Upvote 1

don't overthink it. people who know you well and can write something meaningful about why you should be selected are preferable. if there's an opportunity to present letters from people who are from a community which is related to the one to which you're applying, so much the better.

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2016 at 1:10 PM, Kiloalpha said:

If I were you, I'd ask for letters from everyone who you think would give you one. Then you just have to sit down, read through them all and pick the best. Always better to have options.

This is great advice. I got 6 letters of recommendation and 3 or 4 of them were really good. One of my professional colleagues who I was counting on to write a great letter ended up writing a 2 sentence letter and spelled my name wrong. It was nice to be able to toss that one out.