Civilian Leave Status

So I'm running into a bit of an issue at work.  I'm a GS employee for USAF (not an ART) and I'm now being told that if I want to do reserve work and not use Mil Leave (LM) then I have to either burn Annual Leave or go on LWOP (Civilian).  I've been coding my leave time as KG - Military Furlough because that is the only other military code besides LM in the ATAAPS system and the only code that will then utilize LWOP-US.  

Primary reason I am concerned is if I use LWOP vs LWOP-US (aka Military LWOP) it starts to negatively impact my benefits, step increases, etc because I will be coded in the civilian system as Leave Without Pay...no military designator on there...

All the ARTs in my squadron and all the other IMAs and Reservists across the base that I have reached out to are using KG once they are out of LM so I'm a little confused when my time keeper all of a sudden comes back and says I'm not allowed to use KG....

Anybody have any insight into this?

Edited by HeyWatchThis

You're absolutely allowed to use LWOP-US. Not sure what they're smoking. KG sounds like the right code, but in our system (JOCAS) it's not called Furlough. It's not called LWOP either though...I'll have to try to go in and see. I was worried it wasn't the right code either because the description was weird. But I've been on LWOP-US for 3 months. And it shows on my LES properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked and yes it is KG. It actually is called Military Furlough. I swear it wasn't a couple months ago though!

One thing I realized though is that when I started LWOP-US they had to do an SF-50 action to put me on unpaid status and then I'll have to do another when I go back. I remember thinking this will be a bit of a pain in the ass if I want to do it for just a day or two at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

And I think that SF 50 then should be forwarded to your insurance companies so you can put them on hold while in tricare and don't have to pay then for your civilian insurance.

Where is it written what all of these codes (LG, KG, RG, etc) stand for and mean?