Brooks to Wright-Patterson Conversion

Guest lbzrider14

I'm also waiting for FCI dates but I'm going the Reserve route. Recruiter told me they were doing FCI physicals at the AF Academy during the interim; anyone else hear this?

I havn't heard this yet but I am going to talk to my recruiter at the end of the week. I'll be turning in all my paperwork at this time so I'll let you know what I find out about current time lines and potential alternates to Brooks/W-P in the mean time.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my FC1 in October and am awaiting 2 waivers. One is pretty normal, the other is eye stuff, an A-stigmatism, so I don't know if thats more exotic or normal. That being said, is that entire waiver process on hold for everyone until April as well?

Guest lbzrider14

I did my FC1 in October and am awaiting 2 waivers. One is pretty normal, the other is eye stuff, an A-stigmatism, so I don't know if thats more exotic or normal. That being said, is that entire waiver process on hold for everyone until April as well?

Wow, you took your FCI in October and still haven't received a "certified" FCI physical yet? Doesn't look promising I will have a certified flight physical in time to meet the June board now seeing as though I'll need some waivers and they aren't "supposedly" scheduling physicals until April. No idea if waiver approval will be pushed on hold till April as well.

I would definitely not plan on it, but who knows they may be a model of efficiency for you, seems like it's a crap shoot. To be completely honest I planned on waiting at least 6 months to get certified (it's not like I didn't know I would need a waiver for the stigmatism before going down there), and that was before I knew they were moving up to Dayton! Frustrating process man, at this rate I'll be an airline pilot or whatever before I ever get to AMS, let alone UPT, just gotta stick it out.

Edited by Soku39

Guest goducks

The waiver for astigmatism is not "exotic" if you met the waiver criteria. Most do.

As far as I know, the waiver process is ongoing. The folks here at Brooks are still finalizing cases and pushing them up to AETC. I'm not aware of any delays, although it's a little short-staffed due to folks looking for other work if they weren't planning to move to Dayton.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lbzrider14

Any word yet on whether or not pilots will have the option to get their FCI done at guard units while waiting for W-P to open?

Heard this may be a possibility. Heard a memorandum could be coming out by weeks end that state recruiters will be allowed to schedule their UPT candidates to get a FCI done at AD bases. This is exciting news for those of us trying to meet the June AFRC board and dealing with the whole WP conversion setback.

from the looks of that worst case scenario would say that my case would go to MAJCOM, but I'm under 4.00 for the refractive. If you've got anything on safety waivers that would be cool. My buttocks to knee sitting length was 1/8" too long. Talk about scary, all they said was "you're too tall" then eventually I got the whole story haha. Just like everyone else has to, I'm gonna be patient.

Guest lbzrider14

Heard this may be a possibility. Heard a memorandum could be coming out by weeks end that state recruiters will be allowed to schedule their UPT candidates to get a FCI done at AD bases. This is exciting news for those of us trying to meet the June AFRC board and dealing with the whole WP conversion setback.

So its official... I'm currently in the process with speaking with the medical folks at an active duty base in my state and they do FCI physicals a little differently. I go 7 days prior to taking my physical and get all bloodwork, labs and chest xrays. Then I go back and finish all the other good stuff. Best part about it is I'm in direct contact with the scheduler and flight doc and it eliminates all the middle men/women, my recruiter and everyone else.

So if your trying to meet the June AFRC board and need a flight physical I suggest you contact your recruiter and get it scheduled elsewhere. WP will be up and running 1 April.

So its official... I'm currently in the process with speaking with the medical folks at an active duty base in my state and they do FCI physicals a little differently. I go 7 days prior to taking my physical and get all bloodwork, labs and chest xrays. Then I go back and finish all the other good stuff. Best part about it is I'm in direct contact with the scheduler and flight doc and it eliminates all the middle men/women, my recruiter and everyone else.

So if your trying to meet the June AFRC board and need a flight physical I suggest you contact your recruiter and get it scheduled elsewhere. WP will be up and running 1 April.

Great news. If I have to travel to a base to get this done will I be reimbursed for the travel expenses or is it out of pocket? I will be sworn in in a few weeks, if that makes a difference.

Guest lbzrider14

Great news. If I have to travel to a base to get this done will I be reimbursed for the travel expenses or is it out of pocket? I will be sworn in in a few weeks, if that makes a difference.

I was told by the medical people that I have to have orders in hand. I'm sure this is so that any person can't call and schedule an FCI, just ones who have been sponsored. The AFR reimburses you, not sure how Air national guard works.

Guest goducks

I was told by the medical people that I have to have orders in hand. I'm sure this is so that any person can't call and schedule an FCI, just ones who have been sponsored. The AFR reimburses you, not sure how Air national guard works.

Something to consider is that if your FCI is done locally, you'll still need to go to Wright-Patt for the MFS portion of the exam (at least that's the current system). Getting the FCI out of the way earlier may help you meet certain board dates or give you peace of mind, but ultimately you won't be completely finished with the medical part until the MFS is completed. The other thing I'd caution you about is that getting all of the FCI done quickly at a local facility may be difficult. They don't do a lot of them and, thus, the process isn't always smooth and complete. But, it still may be the best way to go given the down time in the Brooks->WP transition.

Guest lbzrider14

Something to consider is that if your FCI is done locally, you'll still need to go to Wright-Patt for the MFS portion of the exam (at least that's the current system). Getting the FCI out of the way earlier may help you meet certain board dates or give you peace of mind, but ultimately you won't be completely finished with the medical part until the MFS is completed. The other thing I'd caution you about is that getting all of the FCI done quickly at a local facility may be difficult. They don't do a lot of them and, thus, the process isn't always smooth and complete. But, it still may be the best way to go given the down time in the Brooks->WP transition.

Thanks for the insight! This wasn't aware to me and I will definitely look into it!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lbzrider14

You are right... have to wait for Wright Patt to open in April... please post when anyone gets WP physical dates. Turns out there are about 50 pilot selects who have IFCI requests in waiting on WP physical dates

• 2 weeks later...

If I have a FC1, approved by AETC, but have NOT done the MFS portion at WP am I still able to compete at the June 11 board or are they requiring people to have both their FC1 and MFS fully complete before accepting the packages?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lbzrider14

Fyi to all those trying to get physicals scheduled...... So last Monday, Feb 21, WP started scheduling people again for IFCI/MFS physicals. Heard dates people were getting are March 21 since they're opening earlier than planned

Turns out only those who require no waivers have been scheduled so far.

Edited by lbzrider14

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at OTS right now and just got my assignment rip. It's showing MFS at Brooks on Apr 20th. Anyone know how I should interpret this? Will I actually be going to TX for MFS or is this an error that will actually be Wright-Patt?

Guest goducks

I'm at OTS right now and just got my assignment rip. It's showing MFS at Brooks on Apr 20th. Anyone know how I should interpret this? Will I actually be going to TX for MFS or is this an error that will actually be Wright-Patt?

As referenced in the other thread, you'll be going to Wright-Patt.

Guest lbzrider14

Yeah Wright Patt will be in full swing and Brooks is shut down. I've been in touch with a few people there and tif personnel all made the move about 2 weeks ago

Anybody know how getting the orders to go is going to work when congress can't come up with a budget? I'm supposed to go March 21st (next week) but my unit has no money to cut orders yet.

Is there any possibility of doing it without official orders when I've already been scheduled for it?