Checkride/mission superstitions or rituals?

brickhistory

It sure does. I'm totally with you. Meaningless opinions and boring words words words on a message board aren't nearly as entertaining without watching you piss in someone's face at the same time, and the hilarity that ensues. Don't change a thing.

No problem. You want a towel?

• 2 weeks later...

Like pretty much everyone military or civilian I really don't enjoy training/checking events. In the military we were required to memorize and know so much crap that I sometimes wonder how I managed to survive it! In fact, I ultimately used to be an aircrew instructor in the aircraft and WST. I never liked having to give check-rides or worse still have to sit on a board might determine that a aircrewman under training will be either set-back or dropped altogether. At the fleet, we had deployments, work-ups and evaluations by higher headquarters looming. To top it off the C.O, breathing down our neck to get all mission quals completed, so we could report in a mission-ready deployable status.

The airlines are FAR worse when it comes to the checking and training environment and honestly I truly dread recurrent training. Or as some call it, "you bet your job" every 6 months. Plus line checks annually. All it takes is a badng day in the sim a couple of TP's and whammo! You get dequal'd. Ironically, at one time I was even a check airman (not any longer, thank goodness!) and enjoyed teaching in the sim. However, it is a different world at my airline now. I still facilitate CRM/TEM, but no longer in the training dept.

Anyway, if I was to say I had any "tricks or rituals"...Not really, it's just a matter of PREPARATION, STUDY and DEDICATION. I find that I have to work much harder in the books than I did at 19 when I learned to fly. The military taught me a lot of self-discipline and to do things correctly. I also had the benefit of flying with some of the BEST pilots and officers in the world, and was privileged to serve as a Naval Aircrewman/Rescue Swimmer. Take pride in what you do every flight, critique yourself and how you can improve, accept constructive criticism and have fun!

Edited by Kaman

Take pride in what you do every flight, critique yourself and how you can improve, accept constructive criticism and have fun!

'Nuff said.

I'm too lazy to look up who said it but he hit it right on with his "evaluator teach something" theory. Back when I was bullseyeing womprats in my T-16, an evaluator on one of my rides had a great outlook and imparted this gem: "Ultimately, aren't we trying to make the unit better?"