T45 Crash at Meridian

Tragic Loss

ERAU and NAC alum ENS Steve Elledge was killed yesterday in a plane crash near NAS Meridian. There is a memorial on the Navy Club homepage: http://www.db.erau.edu/campus/student/clubs/nac/

Steve was a loving husband, an awsome dude and a great friend who would do anything for his bros. He died doing what he absolutely loved.

GodSpeed

-j

Attached Thumbnails

What a terrible tragedy. It is yet another solemn reminder of the dangers we in this business face. I don’t know Steve Elledge personally, but I know him, because he was like all of us pursuing the dream of military aviation. Steve got to enjoy the career he probably always dreamed about as a kid, and for that we should all be thankful. With the overall downward slide of our society on so many levels, in my opinion, I’m often left thinking to myself “why do we (in the military) do this for our country…” Well, the answer to that question is: sometimes it’s just the honor of serving with men like ENS Steve Elledge.

Originally posted by ASUPilot:

What a terrible tragedy. It is yet another solemn reminder of the dangers we in this business face. I don’t know Steve Elledge personally, but I know him, because he was like all of us pursuing the dream of military aviation. Steve got to enjoy the career he probably always dreamed about as a kid, and for that we should all be thankful. With the overall downward slide of our society on so many levels, in my opinion, I’m often left thinking to myself “why do we (in the military) do this for our country…” Well, the answer to that question is: sometimes it’s just the honor of serving with men like ENS Steve Elledge.

Well said dude!

Guest POL_Pilot

Thanks Greasy for posting. I live in Meridian and the local news didn't release a name. It is definetly a tragic loss. I am not sure if I met him at a barbecue earlier this year.

Godspeed ENS.

[ 23. March 2005, 19:48: Message edited by: POL_Pilot ]

Guest egovolo
Originally posted by ASUPilot:

“why do we (in the military) do this for our country…” Well, the answer to that question is: sometimes it’s just the honor of serving with men like ENS Steve Elledge.

Words I'll never forget, well said ASUpilot.

Guest waxgoblin
Originally posted by RedDog:

When did this happen? I can't find anything about it online.

3-22-05

From The Meridian Star:

NAS Meridian crash claims life of pilot

By Georgia E. Frye / staff writer

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:58 PM CST

A student pilot was killed Tuesday in a plane crash just south of McCain Field at Naval Air Station Meridian.

Details about the accident were sketchy Tuesday night, but a news release issued by NAS Meridian said the T-45C "Goshawk" from Training Squadron 7 crashed at 6:25 p.m.

The news release said the pilot's name will be released today; it also said the pilot was performing routine training at the time of the crash. The release said the accident is under investigation.

(http://www.meridianstar.com/articles/2005/...ries/a1-nas.txt)

Same paper:

NAS identifies pilot in crash

By Georgia E. Frye / staff writer

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 11:25 PM CST

CRASH SCENE - A U.S. Navy investigator examines the wreckage area on Wednesday of a T-45C "Goshawk" that crashed at 6:25 p.m. the night before in the woods near Naval Air Station Meridian's air strip. The pilot was killed in the accident, which remains under investigation. PHOTOS BY PAULA MERRITT / THE MERIDIAN STAR

Naval Air Station Meridian officials have identified a student pilot killed Tuesday in a training exercise.

Lieutenant Junior Grade Steven Elledge, USNR, 25, from Orlando, Fla, of Training Squadron 7 was killed when his T-45C "Goshawk" crashed just south of NAS Meridian's McCain Field.

Capt. Dan Ouimette, commander of Training Air Wing 1, said few details were available. He said the crash occurred while Elledge was practicing field carrier landing.

In a heavily wooded area about a mile from McCain Field where the plane went down, NAS Meridian's Mishap Investigation Group is working to determine what caused the crash. Ouimette said investigators are working to locate and tag each piece of the plane.

He said the aircraft data recorder has not been recovered. He said he expects the investigation to last one to two months.

Susan Junkins, director of public affairs at NAS Meridian, said Tuesday's crash is the base's first fatality involving a T-45C "Goshawk." The base's last fatality was in 1996, when Marine 1st Lt. Mike Warda was killed in a T2C "Buckeye."

The "Buckeye" is no longer flown at NAS Meridian.

Ouimette said there have been three accidents involving "Goshawks" in the past year and a half, but none have resulted in a fatality. He said the base has an excellent safety rating.

"We take young pilots and teach them advanced operations," Ouimette said. "It's a dangerous business we are in, but we will thoroughly investigate this accident so we can hopefully prevent it from happening in the future."

Ouimette said once all the pieces of the plane have been recovered, the investigation team will reassemble the accident scene to determine the cause.

Ouimette said Training Squadron 7 was given the day off Wednesday, but will resume training today. He said representatives of the Fleet and Family Service Center will offer counseling to help family and friends deal with their grief.

"These are the best of America, the cream of the crop, and we recognize that it affects everyone," Ouimette said.

(http://www.meridianstar.com/articles/2005/...ry/a1-crash.txt)