Shreveport/Barksdale info

I RNLT 4 Oct to Barksdale for casual status. Is there anyone on the boards here that can give me some ground truth when it comes to apartments in either Shreveport or Bossier City. Is it better to live on the Bossier City side of the river for commuting purposes? Any info would be great. Thanks.

PS- search function used!

Guest flecth033

Goin2,

There are a good amount of apartment complex's right outside the front gate over the bridge in Shreveport that are not a far commute at all. I will talk to my friend that lives in one to get some names and prices for you. I also have another friend that is casual down there now but not sure where he lives. I will talk to him and see what he says. As far as Shreveport/Bossier you can find yourself in a bad place fast so you have to choose wisely, (I used to live on Barksdale and in both Shreveport/ Bossier). But once again, right over the bridge is a good place, you'll be close to the base and you'll have a straight shot to downtown. I'll PM you some places soon.

Guest scottaxelson

Id check out the reserve and cypress pointe apartemnts. They are both on Airline north of i-220. Itd be about 15 min drive to work or so from there. When I was there for initial qual for nav, I stayed at Alexis Park and that place is GHETTO. The apartments flyguy is talking about across the shreve/barks bridge are also kinda ghetto. A guy in my inital qual class was livin there and there was a quadruple homicide there. Of course it IS sleazeport so pretty much anywhere you live that isnt $200,000 or more is gonna have some crap to it. Now I can say that cause Im from Benton, 15 miles north of bossier city.

Lastly, I wouldnt buy a house until you know your staying. Look at me, Im from the place and they non-voled me to Minot. And dont think that having a house will mean you get to stay, cause it doesnt work.

Don't live on any apt on Airline Dr. Best apartments/townhouses are in Shreveport in the Broadmore area (near Target, Best Buy, etc).

Grew up in Haughton. Casual at Bark-atraz. Family still lives there. If you have probs finding a place to stay, PM and I'll see if my folks have any room.

Guest jcam753

I was casual at the 20th BS at Barksdale. We had a good place on Cross Lake. Look it up...Chimney Hill. It's about a 15 min drive, but we enjoyed it. Good luck.

Guest flecth033

A nav,

You are mixed up on the places that I'm talking about. My friend lives here

http://www.liveatchampionlake.com/ which by mapquest is 4 miles away from the base. There were no homicides there. You are definately talking about the mini projects across the bridge going the opposite way of the apartments I'm talking about. Like I said you can get into a bad place fast.

War007 I went to Haughton back in the day and lived in Princeton. Ended up leaving the Bucs to play for Evangel.

Jcam is right about Chimney HIll by Cross Lake. I pretty much used to live on that lake jet skiing and drinking bru ha ha. Jcam did you ever do any of the flotillas ?

[ 19. March 2006, 01:30: Message edited by: flyguy ]

Guest sickels101

All the places mentioned thus far are all great. I live on the Bossier side on Airline near Benton. It just depends what you are looking for. We wanted the good school districts and a quiet area. Closer to base, there are awesome apartments right outside the North gate. Want to be where all of the new stores are popping up (Youree Drive) go to Shreveport (Broadmoar area is nice but there are many more). Unlike some others on the board, I really like it here at "Bark-atraz" and there are so many options that you really don't need to have where you want to live written in stone before you get here. I would suggest driving around (getting to know where the worst traffic is. . .Airline and the Shreveport Bridges) and just get a feel for what you want/need out of the Shreveport-Bossier area. Like flyguy said, most places are good but make a wrong turn and you can be in a bad place.

** edited for spelling

[ 19. March 2006, 08:53: Message edited by: SoNotToSpeak ]

I live in the Broadmoor neighborhood which is on the Shreveport side of the Red River. I love it there. It's an older neighborhood, but affordable, and close to everything.

Youree Drive, the main shopping/eating area in town, and goes right through Broadmoor, has exploded in the past few years. There's every kind of restaurant and store. Also, you are just a couple miles away from Line Avenue, which is sort of the "old money" part of town and some more good bars/restaurants. There are some nice appartments on the Clyde Fant Parkway, just across the river from the base. You have easy access to everything on the Shreveport side, including the downtown, by heading up or down the parkway, and you can hit the Barksdale bridge, and be at the west gate of base in about a couple minutes.

I started out in Bossier City, but later moved to Shreveport. Our realtor steered us to Bossier but I think it is over-rated. I've been at Barksdale for six years and know the area well. If you have specific questions, PM me.

Guest scottaxelson

Flyguy

I know which ones your talking about now. The newer Apts down shreve/barks highway. Yeah I would agree those are pretty sweet looking places. Now if theyll only ever get the bridge finished.

The apts right outside north gate are pretty nice but I heard theyre way overpriced, but thats through word of mouth, so who knows.

Evangel huh?? I went to Loyola. While wearing uniforms and learning Catholcism all day wasnt the most fun I ever had, Catholic school girls deffinatly were a plus.

Guest scottaxelson

Superior is ALWAYS happening. The cub still is too. Superior is Line Ave, down by Byrd HS. So anywhere in the Broadmoor area is going to put you close to that. Theres a ton of Apts down by LSUs as well that arent too far from that area as well. Also that whole area down by LSUs has exploded. Lot of good restaurants down there.

And bass pro and hooters at the boardwalk.

PS, when you go to hooters, notice the B52 by the door. Look closely at the tail...

Guest flecth033

A nav,

Loyola, Oh yes, the only good thing about uniforms at school was getting chicks to do things in them.

Guest sickels101
Originally posted by war007afa:

Won't be able to. 3 yr waiting list for officers.

I have found this not to be true here at Barksdale. It typically takes about 3-6 months to live on base for officers if you don't want historic housing. There are two separate lists and you can choose either historic or regular. Granted, housing demand always changes but that is what I knew of my friends at KBAD here from the last year, even up to this weekend.

I don't personally live on base, but previously mentioned I do have numerous friends who do. They all like it and the houses are nice enough. Most of the junior officers houses are 3 bed/3 bath and are two story town houses. They are moderately sized and most families will fit in just fine.

[ 21. March 2006, 12:28: Message edited by: SoNotToSpeak ]

Guest SnakeT38

Email Jimbo McCauley at the 47th FS, he used to have a shack on Cypress Lake that has seen every event known and unknown to mankind. Great place to

get drunk and pass out, he used to use it like a

"shelter" for wayward chicks.

• 2 years later...
Guest Demeeta652
Anyone know what the wait time currently is for Barksdale on-base housing? Thanks.

-Nav_Guy

It is very hit and miss...I really lucked out. They happened to have one that just opened up when I first called them. Although, the guy that showed up 2 days later than me has to wait in the VOQ at least a few weeks before another house opens up. If you know you are going there for sure, call the housing contractors about a month out. They can put your name on a house as long as you can fax them orders (or a letter in lieu of orders in my case).