Dressing for formal events

Guest pilotswif

Guest pilotswif

Ok women... I need to know... AND I know that this might sound stupid or shallow, but I have to ask... Just how formal do the women need to dress to the parties where the men have to wear their blues? Even tho I grew up in the Air Force I never saw this aspect of things, and I don't want to look way over/under done to these parties. My first offical experience with this will be when my husband graduates from OTS. PLEASE HELP!!!

[ 30. January 2007, 05:41: Message edited by: Toro ]

Guest AFMama

During the Dining Out (usually on a Wed.) you will wear a formal dress (long, formal). During the OTS graduation on Friday morning, church attire is the norm (my husband graduated in June, and almost every wife/gf from his class had on a summer dress/skirt). The Thursday of graduation (family day), is very casual.

It's not a stupid or shallow question. In general if an event is listed as formal dresses, the women will wear cocktail dresses. I don't know how a cocktail dress is officially defined, but that's the verbage I hear. I've mostly seen the short (but still conservative) dresses.

Totally minor point, but if it's a formal event, the AF member isn't wearing blues, it's either mess dress or service dress (blues w/jacket).

• 4 months later...
Guest IAGuardWife

If he's in his blues, something nice/cocktail dress-ish is appropriate. My husband works at AMS and the guys wear their blues (not mess dress) to the banquet. A lot of girls wear formals and frankly, they are over dressed. Aim for something knee length. I'm sure most everyone has a "little black dress" or two in their closet.

If he's wearing his mess dress to an event (UPT grad banquet, dining out,etc), then you'll want to wear a formal gown.

Don't worry...it's not a stupid question at all!