squadron size

Guest NSFW

It varies greatly, I imagine. My first line squadron had 100 officers and 8 enlisted folks. More typical for a flying squadron is 40-50 flyers and then maybe a dozen support folks. It depends largely on the crew ratio...1.5, 2.5 crews per jet for instance. Take a squadron with a 2.5 manning ratio and 8 tankers (typical ANG unit) and you're looking at roughly 40 pilots. When we had 18 F-16s, we were authorized roughly 28 pilots.

[ 27. February 2005, 22:13: Message edited by: Bergman ]

Originally posted by Beaver:

How often you interact with the CC depends on him. Now that MX is a different squadron, our CC has a lot more time on his hands to spend flying and being around the other pilots.

That's the upside. The downside being that mx tends to suck beyond belief. I've seen mx troops break the tow bar and then log the late takeoff as Ops for reconfiguring. Integirty first.

HD

Guest gtyj98

***mx tends to suck beyond belief***

HercDriver, you're an idiot. It's funny because MX says the same things about us most the time about Ops deviations vs. MX devs. You will never know how much those crew chiefs bust their a$$ for us to fly our jets, or in your case, a prop plane.

My former Ops Squadron had just under 100 people - about 15 of which were enlisted. Realize that this was an F-15E squadron, so you've got twice the number of aircrew (pilots and WSOs) for the same number of jets.

You'll see the commander just about every day. Unless you actually have business with him, you probably won't interact with him other than at aircrew meetings and in the bar.