FTX Questions

Guest FSUpilot

Guest futurpilot

I need advice from some AD guys on where to get these items for the FTX I'm heading up next year. Keep in mind its an ROTC event (yipee) and we are limited in just about every resource you can think of.

1. MRE's -- I checked out the local Army/ Navy store and basically all they have is the cheap version in the clear packaging. I'm looking for the government issue with heater. Anywhere on base sell wholesale? BX maybe?

2. Shelter -- I'm open to any input here. A larege tent is going to be out of the question, we just dont have the ability to move it. Basically Im looking at buying a crap load of coleman tents but that can get expensive (and would produce an open shot for Army cadets across the hall to ridicule us). Any advice here?

Thats it for now. Shoot with anything you got.

Well, speaking of Army cadets....

Do you have a decent-sized Army ROTC unit at your school? Might be able to get up with them and make arrangements to use some of their equipment.

One team, one fight, hooah?

1. IIRC, if the commissary sells MREs, it is the one ones in the clear packaging. It's basically the same thing as a regular MRE.

2. are you located near a base? Try coordinating with them. How many people are you trying to get shelter for? Maybe ask if any one has access to camping equipment to bring their stuff.

And don't worry about getting crap from the army ROTC- there shelter halves suck balls. They'll make fun of you no matter how you do it, and you'll probably still make fun of them. I'm heading up a group of people for the army ROTC's FTX in a month- and their cadre basically told me "you don't want to be in shelter halves. We can loan them to you if you want, but its better to bring a good camping tent." So thats what I'm going to do.

Phlash also brought up a good suggestion.

Guest Hydro130

Why do you need to "bring" anything???

Everything you NEED WILL be provided; quit stressing so much...

Hydro

Guest futurpilot

1. Army here isnt too bad. I'd guess about 100 cadets. If you are interested in Ranger Challenge they have a top notch program.

2. I love aviation too.......

3. I'll call up Tyndall and see if their commissary sells

4. Hydro, this is the 1st overnight FTX and we do not have the materials to support over 100 cadets.....its my job to find it.

If you are going out to the woods, if those exist if Florida, you can open you Airmen's Manual and build shelters with what you have out there. As for MREs we bought a bunch of them from Fairchild that were the issue ones with heaters then proceded to make MRE bombs once we got out into the field. I have been on our FTX staff for the past two semesters. If I can help you send me a PM and we can chat that way or via email.

PS Avoid using Army gear. It typically sucks.

You should be able to get MREs from HQROTC. We've always told them we need x amount and within reason they'll get them to us. Sorry I don't know how it works, but I do know that's how we get them. If that falls through, HQ should at least be able to give you a certain amount of money that you can then order MREs with from the closest base.

Try to hook up with local Guard/Reserve units if possible - we got GP-Mediums from an Army National Guard unit just by calling them, and the local reserve civil engineering squadron was going to send trainers and equipment and make it count as a reserve weekend for them (fell through because of some budget issues on our end). PM me if you need details.

Guest goirishgo
Originally posted by FSUpilot:

Keep in mind its an ROTC event (yipee)

Nice disclaimer

[ 26. April 2006, 23:27: Message edited by: the_gipper ]

Guest futurpilot

Thanks for all the advice.

It sounds like contacting HQROTC is the way to go on MRE's.

As for shelter, sadly I don't think the cadre or the cadets would be too happy if I employed tactics from SERE. We will probably end up purchasing a crap load of Coleman tents from Target.