Maximum age (requirements)

Guest kann

Is 28 too old to apply for UPT? I've spoken with a recruiter from the guard and he says that I need to be 27 1/2 and the recruiter from the air reserves says I'll just make the age requirement. I just made 28 in Nov 2004. I'm hoping to apply in may 2005 for the reserves. Not sure what the deadline is for the guard.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone. I know that you cannot reach your 30th b-day before you enter UPT. But can someone give me a good idea of when you would enter UPT from submitting your app?

How strict is this age requirement? Any official policy that I can ref. on this?

You are right at the limit. As far as I know, the age limit is still 30 by the time you start UPT. It would be a tight timeline for you. My recommendation is- put a thorough package together and apply to many units, when you turn-in your package, stress that you are "age critical". Make sure you have all you ducks in a row (all requirements met- PPL, etc.), because you will not have much time for leeway. If you don't go for it, then the answer is definitely "no". You will always regret it if you don't make the effort. Do everything you can do to make yourself the best candidate. Best of luck.

Guest navobd

Yep, enter UPT prior to age 30. This will be your last year to apply with the guard units as they normally take at least 1.5 years to get you into a UPT class. As for the reserves, you may have a little more time but not much. I applied to my unit at 28 and got picked up. I'll enter UPT at 29 with three months to spare prior to my 30th B-day. Heed Herbum's advice and get everything lined up, apply to many units to increase your chances because this will be your last opportunity. Best of luck!

I was in the same situation as you a year and a half ago. I was barely 28 and it seemed that all the guard units that were having a board had a 27.5 age limit. I ended up with one interview and didn't get the job. I decided that flying was the most important thing so I applied for OTS and now I'm in UPT and don't regret a thing. If you find yourself running out of time with little to no prospects, consider going AD.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the responses! Good to know there's still some hope to getting in.

This is for pcola stud...I was wondering about how you got in through OTS. Entering OTS offers no guarantees towards UPT right? You pretty much take your chances. How long did you have to wait to apply and get into UPT?

If you apply for OTS as a civilian, you know before hand if you're going to UPT or not.

Also, individual guard units have different due dates for their packets based on when they're having their selection board. You'll need to contact each unit you're interested in to find out that date.

[ 02. January 2005, 12:26: Message edited by: UPT-hopeful ]

I'm assuming OTS has the same age and vision requirements as the guard and reserves?

I don't know about getting a good recruiter. I hope they will be more helpful to me than they have been. They all are quite discouraging and not that helpful. They all tell me to go enlisted and to choose another interest. This is probably the norm right?

Guest AirGuardian

"How strict is this age requirement?" - Pretty Strict, but possible since a few of us have survived this ordeal.

Active Duty - normally a one shot deal if you haven't applied before and you were given misinformation or a medical issue that was diagnosed wrong as a couple of examples.

Guardwise - Must find a unit willing to support you. Meaning - they need to be able to justify why they want to send you vs a non-age critical candidate who may have better scores or at least as good as you! Prior experience counts here. Justification, justification X 10, is all I can say here - otherwise it just will get kicked back by the Bureau or higher sometimes... Lots of paperwork and an extended waiting period for the myriad of signature, but well worth the effort if you can pull it off! Godspeed.

Guest Stearmann4

At the beginning of these posts, someone said it's not uncommon to take up to a year and a half for a UPT slot. Would this hold true for a FWQC as well? If so, what are you doing while you're waiting for your class to begin? I know AG has an answer for this somewhere...being the elder curmudgeon of the posters...

Mike-

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AirGuardian

"being the elder curmudgeon of the posters..." -Stearmann4 Posted...

Daaang, just came right out with it didn't you! Niiice, I'd say that was a pretty sly belt whipping on this old dog. Good stuff!

Anyway, it really depends upon the unit who sponsors you and how fast they can pull a slot down from the Bureau for you. Shouldn't take them too long, but you never know depending upon the amount of other FWQ applicants. Just keep on poking your unit to find out and push for you! Worst case scenario, you just sit and wait with all the rest(highly doubtful, since you have everything but UPT normally) and become an elder curmudgeon like me.... damn glad you know how to spell curmudgeon, there's hope for you yet as Army guy going ANG!!!

• 4 years later...

With great trepidation I start a new topic here, standard disclaimer search function failed to turn up the info I'm looking for.

I am looking for the actual AETC Memo, AFI or DOD Reg that spells out the AF UPT age limit.

I am NOT looking for anecdotal evidence of "my buddy start back in 2005 at age 29 1/2, so I'm pretty sure the limit is that you have to start UPT by the time you're 30"

Thanks

Hercs Rule

GW

Edited by GW

With great trepidation I start a new topic here, standard disclaimer search function failed to turn up the info I'm looking for.

I am looking for the actual AETC Memo, AFI or DOD Reg that spells out the AF UPT age limit.

I am NOT looking for anecdotal evidence of "my buddy start back in 2005 at age 29 1/2, so I'm pretty sure the limit is that you have to start UPT by the time you're 30"

Thanks

Hercs Rule

GW

Paragraph 1.1.6 on page 5

AFI36_2205.pdf

Guest Safe&Clear

If things get bad enough, they may soon change the age limit to 60-- Heck, it's good enough for the "Returning to Active Duty" pilots!

Yes, I've jacked the thread, but the thought was too funny not to chime in...

Edited by Safe&Clear