Law Skool and flyin'

Stiffler

Anyone here tackled a law degree as a Guard or reserve pilot? Im in that position to start next year, and wondering how it all works out. Were you able to keep the flying to a sat. level?

Not looking forward to it by the way, but something to fall back on!

Guest OSP_Pilot

I'm not 100%, but when we were in the AOR in 2003, it was rumored that an O-5 from the 121st, Ohio Air Guard, had just finished up his law degree, maybe if you know of any connections or want to give their ops section a call.

[ 25. October 2006, 21:25: Message edited by: OSP_Pilot ]

Guest SnakeT38

Had one guy in my A-10 unit at BAD do it, many have done it at AA while working. The mil. guy is now O-8 and owns the law firm (passed down from dad).

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by SnakeT38:

Not sure I know the diff

between a "real" O-8 and a Reserve O-8

C'mon Snake, for cryin' out loud. Are you asking me to believe you don't think there's any difference between an ARC GO and an AD GO? Serioulsy? WTFO?

"Why yes, I'm an important General Officer with an important sounding job title working for the MAJCOM/CC and I can do it all part time while still flying for the airlines..."

.....since he is MA to PACAF/CC I don't think he does either.

I have no doubt believing he thinks he's the real deal. No doubt whatsoever.

Guest SnakeT38
Originally posted by Rainman A-10:

C'mon Snake, for cryin' out loud. Are you asking me to believe you don't think there's any difference between an ARC GO and an AD GO? Serioulsy? WTFO?

"Why yes, I'm an important General Officer with an important sounding job title working for the MAJCOM/CC and I can do it all part time while still flying for the airlines..."

.....since he is MA to PACAF/CC I don't think he does either.

I have no doubt believing he thinks he's the real deal. No doubt whatsoever.

Guest Rainman A-10

Fair enough.

I know I'm close to the bone on this one and I'm not looking for a fight here. I said something about both the ARC and the airlines that could be misinterpreted.

I just thought you might have a more big picture view of the difference between and ARC GO and an AD GO based on your experience (which is longer than mine because you are really old). No sweat.

I should've guessed there would be an example of an AA pilot who was the best GO ever. In fact, the best ARC general I know is also an AA guy. He is a great guy and an outstanding leader. He spends a lot of his time doing AF stuff and he takes his military job seriously. He pointed out to me once that he is not the same as an AD GO since his job is to advise, not decide. Big difference. Huge actually. I was impressed that he admitted that but that's the kind of guy he is.

So, I will agree that there are some ARC GOs with real leadership ability.

Sounds like you've had some unfrortunate experiences with AD GOs. I know some really good ones who have leadership ability and are in jobs where they actually make the decisions.

Here's a FWIW...I have met lots of ARC GOs. Some of them are pretty good guys. However, my experience has been that they serve only themselves and the ARC, often at the expense of what is the right or best thing to do for the Total Force.

I have been embarrassed (for the general and the ARC) more than once when an ARC GO starts talking. It seemed to be happening 10 times a day during the last round of BRAC. I couldn't believe what I was hearing from some ARC GOs.

Guard GOs are political appointees. You can become a GO in the Guard and never leave your home town. It is possible to leap from a 12 year Lt Col to Maj Gen with the stroke of the Governors pen. That's right. You can be in the Guard for 12 years, make LtCol and then become a 2 star overnight. Maj Gen with 12 years of one weekend a month and two weeks a year service. Can that happen? Sure, and it has. For example, if the Gov wants to promote a female minority to a high ranking position in the state he can and will do it. The Gov knows it's just the Guard and not the real military.

Something's just not right about that.

I think AFRES GOs have to work a lot harder to become GOs than the Guard guys.