Motion/Airsickness (Barany Chair)

mmkk111

Unfortunately, as the list changes regularly, it's restricted to AFMS personnel only. I've said this on the board before, I will post neither the OTC or Rx med list. You can ask your FSO for a copy and they will likely give it to you, but I won't publish it for the whole internet. If you ask if a few specific medications are currently approved or not, I will answer that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link in the last bullet, but I can't access it.

Same, hence the reason for my question.

Unfortunately, as the list changes regularly, it's restricted to AFMS personnel only.

Copy, I'll just see the doc if I ever need anything. Thanks anyways.

Proceed direct to the nearest Barany chair and get cured. I was a serious puker, also. I never had a problem after a few sessions in the chair.

Is this even possible? I would sign up in a heartbeat, but I'm assuming they only have chairs at certain bases and only certain people (current aircrew) can use them.

Is this even possible? I would sign up in a heartbeat, but I'm assuming they only have chairs at certain bases and only certain people (current aircrew) can use them.

Any base with an aerospace physiology element (or a chamber) should have one...and you sell it because they get the training on making you puke free since '93.

Go to a park that gas a merry go round. Close your eyes. Get someone to spin you for a while (until you don't feel like you are spinning much anymore). Then tip your skull forward and back and side to side. Your world will be instantly fucked up. Homemade barany chair.

You can overcome airsickness.

Don't need a Barany chair at all. It didn't work at all for a friend of mine, even after multiple sessions. What worked? Similar to DN's suggestion above, he went to the nearest Six Flags, picked the most violent extreme roller coaster and repeatedly rode it with his eyes closed until he didn't feel sick anymore. He also did a few rides looking up or to the side. Worked like a charm.

The other thing that I've seen help with airsickness is developing balance by standing on one foot for increasing periods of time with your eyes closed. I don't know why it helps, but it seems to assist with the disassociation between what your body's feeling and seeing.

If you get airsickness and do the roller coaster method or barany chair and it works will it eventually wear off? For example, if I get used to flying, but didn't do it for a year would I still be used to it or would I need to go through the barany chair again?

The barany chair does 2 things for you:

1) desensitizes you to motion. This is perishable. If you don't fly for a while you may have to watch it for a flight or two.

2) teaches you to deal with it when feelings of motion sickness begin. Relax it away basically.