Fat burners meds

Bishop

Aside fomr my vision, which is still in the limits, I have had a weight problem my whole life.

I tried atkins lost a great amount of weight but found after I decided to get off of it about half of it came back. I have begun a low calorie diet, and to help out I have been taking Calcium Pyruvate to help out, it is a natural drug (I know that doesnt speak for much so was ephedra) but it is meant to increase your bodies expenditure of calories in rest mode and thoruhgout the day. I have not felt any side effects, I took hydroxycut a few times back when ephedra was still legal and I was full of energy, I feel no different on this. I have noticed in just 2 weeks doing it (havent hit the gym yet) some clothes fit looser and I have gotten comments I am sure this is more in part due to my low amount of intake (of cals) .. But Bottom Line..

Is this gonna be a problem for me down the road as far as whats allowed to have been taken and what is not?

Thanks, and I apologize for going into detail.

Guest comanche

Not sure about that, but the best way to lose weight is a balanced diet, while doing cardio, and lifting. You must include the last two to lose weight. Don't go heavy on the weights, but do high reps. Get off all the crap, you can do it yourself if you really want to. Are you trying to become a pilot, or are you a pilot, or just trying to get into the military?

Comanche

Guest F16PilotMD

I don't know anything about this (or most) supplements because I think they are all a waste of your money. NO PILL IS APPROPRIATE TO LOSE WEIGHT. Questions?

You are too young for that crap. Spend your money on a personal trainer or a gym membership.

Guest ChrisH

I agree. Losing weight should not be done by use of pills, atkins diets, etc. The atkins diet is unhealthy anyway. Any diet "low" in anything is unhealthy. Your body needs fat, protein, carbs, etc., to maintain function and stay healthy. If you avoid anything, have a diet low in "sugar". I believe that is the one nutrient (if you can call it that), that your body does not need. Lower your calories, start doing cardio and lifting weights. They weight will come off!

• 1 year later...

What is the general policy on products like Xenadrine EFX, Hydroxycut, and other ephedra-free so-called "fat burner" supplements for pilot types? I searched AFI 48-123 to no avail, but I'm guessing that's the wrong reg for this case. And I didn't get around to calling flight medicine this week so I thought I'd ask here.

Guest comanche

Rocker, just hit the gym if you are packing on a few extra pounds. actually no more beer that'd probably help

Oh I hit the gym all the time. I like these pills for the energy before a workout and for the "promise" of being a little more cut. I used to take the ones with ephedra in college when they were still around and they worked great. On the other hand, I will never give up beer! Though I will say that eating like a fatty while on all these TDYs is a killer.

Hey Rocker - how's life at DM?

Anyways, last guidance I knew of was that "supplements" were not governed in 48-123. There might be a MAJCOM policy letter addressing some things (i.e. St. John's Wort and hemp oil are not allowed, at least in the reserves), but you'd have to check with your flight medicine shop.

Since there's a new one to hit the market every 5 minutes, there's no way to keep up with every ingredient. You should *technically* bring the bottle of whatever to the flight doc and have him/her give you an idea of whether it would be allowed, but since there's no specific regulation addressing this stuff, they'll probably end up telling you that the stuff is cr@p and not to take it. But that's just *technically*. They can't DNIF you for taking supplements.

Guest doctidy
Originally posted by latidah:

...they'll probably end up telling you that the stuff is cr@p and not to take it. ...

The manufacturers all CLAIM that it works...most of the stuff has some weak active ingredient in it...but for the most part its all cr@p.

No, seriously...you really can get hurt from some of the stuff. There is no AFI. I'd be careful w/ some of the stuff, especially if you are required to pull Gs as they can affect ability of cardiovascular system to respond to blood pressure changes, etc.

Originally posted by Rage_:P:

I'd be careful w/ some of the stuff, especially if you are required to pull Gs as they can affect ability of cardiovascular system to respond to blood pressure changes, etc.

...for all those G's you'll pull in the mighty HC-130, Rocker :D

As far as Hydroxycut goes.... A roomie of mine from school tried that stuff once, and his heart was beating so fast that I thought it was going to bust out of his chest. He never used the stuff again. Definitely turned me off to it, too.

Guest 92T0Jackal

I have no idea what bp or heart rate change this stuff causes, so Im giving a disclaimer on my opinions/experiences.

Creatine has been a wonder drug for me that might just give you that 'energy boost' before and during a workout. I swear by the stuff but everyone has different reactions.

Some brands include like 50 grams of sugar, that will get you going... I didnt like that so I got a brand with less sugar and simply drank it with 100% apple juice, nature provides the sugar rush.

I recently found a Nitric Oxide and creatine mix, stuff is magic. This stuff really isnt weight loss, in fact you gain water weight. But it does give me a huge boost for a workout.

Again, refer to the docs on what is bad for you especially since you are a flier. That stuff just worked for me.

Guest doctidy

Personal experience w/ creatine is it does help build muscle...but after a while the gain wears off.

My concerns are not just heart rate and blood pressure. Had one guy trying to improve his race times with some supplement. Ended up with a seizure near the end of the race. It was HE:L getting him back on flying status.

• 2 years later...

Personally, I feel diet supplements are a waste of money. Really and truely. Hard work, determination, good solid diet (right combo of exercise and healthy foods created especially for your body type) is, in my opinion, the answer to longterm weight control. Its tough, I know. I have what I believe the scientists call an Endomorphic body.

Fat Burners

Guest J-Bones

I'll have to say that if you don't listen to how your body responds to supplements like "rip fuel", "xenadrine", "no-explode" etc. then you may very well have a bad experience. I have used non-ephedra rip fuel, creatine, or no-explode on a limited basis since I was in high school and have not had problems. I don't take it consistently and I never take the recommended dosage (no more than 1 pill). I have been a consistent 95-100 PFT scorer and can attribute some of my better workouts to having the extra boost. I subscribe to "all things in moderation" - be weary when using supplements and pay attention to your body (especially your heart patterns). On the same token - I recently contracted two kidney stones but am pretty highly predisposed to getting them genetically so I don't know if there is a connection.

Personally, I feel diet supplements are a waste of money. Really and truely. Hard work, determination, good solid diet (right combo of exercise and healthy foods created especially for your body type) is, in my opinion, the answer to longterm weight control. Its tough, I know. I have what I believe the scientists call an Endomorphic body.

Fat Burners

"Rage_:P Posted Apr 19 2006, 11:12 AM

Personal experience w/ creatine is it does help build muscle...but after a while the gain wears off.

My concerns are not just heart rate and blood pressure. Had one guy trying to improve his race times with some supplement. Ended up with a seizure near the end of the race. It was HE:L getting him back on flying status.

Rage_:P Posted Apr 17 2006, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by latidah:

...they'll probably end up telling you that the stuff is cr@p and not to take it. ...

The manufacturers all CLAIM that it works...most of the stuff has some weak active ingredient in it...but for the most part its all cr@p.

No, seriously...you really can get hurt from some of the stuff. There is no AFI. I'd be careful w/ some of the stuff, especially if you are required to pull Gs as they can affect ability of cardiovascular system to respond to blood pressure changes, etc. "

These are pretty good answers to you questions