Braces / Invisalign

Guest NMMI JC

Guest NMMI JC

What is the reg on braces during OTS and Flight Training and are the invis-align braces allowed?

Guest NMMI JC

Got a FC1. Got approval. Got Sponsored and soon to get a class date. What about braces for OTSPrimary?

I stand corrected. I remember a guy from ROTC who had braces and was worried about his FC1. He had said that he was going to have to get them removed before the SG would certiby his FC1. I never found out what happened to him, and I don't know about UPT req's. Good luck.

Guest jmmp97

Ok - here's a response from Flight Doc via the archive -

A7.5. Dental.

A7.5.1. Flying Classes II and III.

A7.5.1.1. Personnel wearing orthodontic appliances need not have appliances removed for physical qualification. After consultation with the treating orthodontist, the local flight surgeon may qualify the individual for flying duties if there is no effect on speech or the ability to wear equipment with comfort.

A7.5.1.2. Severe malocclusion which interferes with normal mastication or requires protracted treatment.

A7.5.1.3. Diseases of the jaw or associated structures such as cysts, tumors, chronic infections, and severe periodontal conditions which could interfere with normal mastication, until adequately treated.

A7.5.1.4. Aircrew members in Dental Class III or who have a significant dental defect which may be expected to cause a dental emergency during flight will be grounded. ARC members are managed IAW paragraph 14.14.1. of this instruction.

A7.5.2. Classes I and IA. In addition to the above:

A7.5.2.1. Dental defects such as carious teeth, malformed teeth, defective restorations, or defective prosthesis, until corrected.

A7.5.2.2. Anticipated or ongoing treatment with fixed orthodontic appliances.

• 9 months later...
Guest uptboundnav

I could use some braces and here at DM they will not pay for them, are there any bases where there is you can get braces paid for?

Guest jbrian22

Yes, I am in the process of getting them myself here at Elmendorf AFB in Alaska. The hospital here is one of the few left in the air force that has an orthodonist. However to be considered an applicant you have to have something special in your case, not just some bent teeth. In my case I have to have total upper and lower jaw surgery along with the braces. Thats what the docters would prefer to work on. Its an 11 month process and you need 1 year of retainablity and you will go off deployment status for 2-6 months and have to have your commanders approval for that.

• 1 month later...

What's the regulation about having Invisalign while at UPT - those are the ones that are like retainers in a way that you take out to eat - no one can even see them. I know I've seen pilots with regular braces, but I didn't know if it's different while you're in training or if you need a waiver.

Guest F16PilotMD

Doubt the USAF even knows about Invisalign. Should not be a problem with the appropriate documentation from the prescribing doc.

• 2 years later...

To revive an old thread... I spoke to the dental clinic today and they said the AF doesnt do and/or pay for orthodontics, period, dot. I'm at my MWS now and curious what steps you have to take to get it done on your own... If you've had invisalign done while in the AF can you shoot me a PM?

Thanks in advance

[ 27. October 2006, 15:43: Message edited by: tktktk ]

Guest NOT_OSI
Originally posted by tktktk:

To revive an old thread... I spoke to the dental clinic today and they said the AF doesnt do and/or pay for orthodontics, period, dot. I'm at my MWS now and curious what steps you have to take to get it done on your own... If you've had invisalign done while in the AF can you shoot me a PM?

Thanks in advance

If you believe what one person at your clinic told you, then it looks like the steps include going to a orthodontist and getting out the checkbook. The Air Force will do orthodontic evaluations and determine if you have a need for braces and proceed from there, and it is best to start there. Even the largest base hospitals won't see you for months if you wish to be evaluated.

convince someone you fall into one of these categories:

6.24.1. Air Force dentists may provide orthodontic services in these circumstances:

6.24.1.1. To support adjunctive medical or surgical care of traumatic injuries.

6.24.1.2. To correct a malocclusion of the teeth and mal-relation of the jaws when such therapy is

preventive or required by other dental treatment.

6.24.1.3. To correct a malocclusion or a mal-relation that has a direct effect on the individual's

health or duty performance.

6.24.1.4. To continue authorized orthodontic treatment initiated elsewhere.

afi 47-101 is a very interesting read and should help you understand how to seek care.

[ 28. October 2006, 00:24: Message edited by: hokay ]

Guest doctidy

There usually has to be a dental need for the braces. Also, I wouldn't expect Invisalign...can you say "railroad tracks?"

Guest migkilr

Hey, I'm currently flying F-15's and I've got the big old nasty braces (had 'em for 2 years now). No big deal at all, just go get them, the only thing is they can't interfere with your duty, so if they tell you to deploy you can't say "sorry I've got braces", which I know you won't. Highly recommend Invisalign if you can (my issues couldn't be solved with Invisalign which is only for very minor straightening), and you don't even need to tell anyone, there is no way they could interfere. The AF won't pay for the braces but in many cases they will pay for tooth extraction. I had 3 teeth pulled by the AF as part of my Ortho treatment.

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I did a search for Invisalign and it only came up with 1 response that didn't help too much.

I'm a cadet in AFROTC and I was hoping to get Invasalign done before I commission. When I checked with my cadre, they quoted this instruction:

AFROTCI 36-2011

3.19. Unit Preparation of Cadets for Commissioning Physicals

3.19.2. All active orthodontic treatment must be completed before a cadet can be medically certified for commissioning. Ensure orthodontic appliances are removed prior to cadet's commissioning examination.

Here's my question, does Invisalign count as orthodontic? And which AFIs in general should I be searching through to find out more info? (In case I have to "prove" it to my cadre).

Out of curiosity, why is there a regulation for this? I've seen active duty officers (my commander for example) have braces...why is it any different for someone just entering?

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I don't plan to go into any rated position (pilot, nav, or ABM). I actually want to be a developmental engineer (62E) if that matters in this case.

Edited by silverwolf0911

Can you wait till after you commission?

Reason being: When my husband was enlisted, the USAF paid close to $20k for his straight teeth plus 4 metal plates inserted in his jaw. He was given Invisalign as his retainer. I would think that they would offer the same dental work to an Officer.

Guest Technique only

What about cosmetic caps/crowns? I know the AF won't pay for it but is there any problem or approval necessary before getting this kind of work done for an active duty pilot?

What about cosmetic caps/crowns? I know the AF won't pay for it but is there any problem or approval necessary before getting this kind of work done for an active duty pilot?

I don't know why the AF wont pay for it for the AD member. United Concordia pays some of it for spouses/dependents..

I was under the impression that the AF only pays for orthodontic work if you actually medically need it...or if your job requires it for whatever reason.

Also, what I'm looking for now is for an official "Air Force" definition of "orthodontic appliance"...

I was under the impression that the AF only pays for orthodontic work if you actually medically need it...or if your job requires it for whatever reason.

Also, what I'm looking for now is for an official "Air Force" definition of "orthodontic appliance"...

My husband didn't "medically" need the ortho work that he got. Considering that the work put him on bed rest for roughly 3-4wks. I think all he had was an over bite.. I wasn't around back then, so I don't know for sure.

If you can, how about calling a dental clinic? and asking them. They would know for sure-- give or take who you talk to!

Guest P27:17
My husband didn't "medically" need the ortho work that he got. Considering that the work put him on bed rest for roughly 3-4wks. I think all he had was an over bite.. I wasn't around back then, so I don't know for sure.

If you can, how about calling a dental clinic? and asking them. They would know for sure-- give or take who you talk to!

Great advice Kayla...If I'm understanding invisaline therapy...they are removable...correct?

If you can't train/fly with them then you'll have to go another route...the concern with "unfixed" orthodonic treatments is that they may dislodge and/or created poor seals...ask an AF dentist.

Great advice Kayla...If I'm understanding invisaline therapy...they are removable...correct?

Yes, You have to have them on your teeth for roughly 6-8hrs every day. You take them out when you eat and drink. The only thing you can drink while you have invisaline in is good ol' water.

Here is some info regarding Ortho work for spouses:

- After you are 23, you have no Ortho benes.

- If you get Ortho work done before you are 23, United Concordia will stop paying when you turn 23.

- They do "quarterly"-type payments, you are then responsible for covering the rest.

- United Concordia sucks once you hit E-5 and higher.

• 7 months later...
Guest Codename46

Did some searching on this forum regarding braces, and I thought I had the info, but it turned out it wasn't what I was looking for, so I'm gonna post this:

I commission May 2011 and got braces this August. I'm pretty sure I'll have them removed by the time I commission but I'll talk to my orthodontist tomorrow about that.

Anyway the cadre at my ROTC detachment weren't too happy about that and told me to send them all the info regarding my treatment from my orthodontist. In addition they wanted some signed letter/memo from my orthodontist detailing the type of treatment and length, and referred so some AFI or AFROTCI that stated it. I had a copy of the page where it said all that but now I can't find it.

So, a couple of questions:

*Am I required to have them removed by my date of commissioning? What about the retainers I have to wear afterwards?

*Whats the document that states what my ortho is supposed to send?

*Can this be a medical disqualifier?

I'm not trying to go for any rated slots, by the way. THanks.

Edited by Codename46