Braces / Invisalign

Guest NMMI JC

Did some searching on this forum regarding braces, and I thought I had the info, but it turned out it wasn't what I was looking for, so I'm gonna post this:

I commission May 2011 and got braces this August. I'm pretty sure I'll have them removed by the time I commission but I'll talk to my orthodontist tomorrow about that.

Anyway the cadre at my ROTC detachment weren't too happy about that and told me to send them all the info regarding my treatment from my orthodontist. In addition they wanted some signed letter/memo from my orthodontist detailing the type of treatment and length, and referred so some AFI or AFROTCI that stated it. I had a copy of the page where it said all that but now I can't find it.

So, a couple of questions:

*Am I required to have them removed by my date of commissioning? What about the retainers I have to wear afterwards?

*Whats the document that states what my ortho is supposed to send?

*Can this be a medical disqualifier?

I'm not trying to go for any rated slots, by the way. THanks.

Below are the Commission Standards from AFI 48-123:

A3.10.4. Current orthodontic appliances for continued treatment (V53.4) are disqualifying. Retainer

appliances are permissible, provided all active orthodontic treatment has been satisfactorily completed.

Individuals undergoing orthodontic care are acceptable for enlistment in the Delayed Entry

Program only if a civilian or military orthodontist provides documentation that active orthodontic

treatment shall be completed prior to being sworn into active duty.

• 10 months later...
Guest 055-NOS

I have a question about invisalign regarding the process of getting everything cleared by the flight docs, dentists, etc.

I'm starting UPT phase II in about 3 weeks at Columbus and I figured it's now or never with the invisalign thing. I got checked out by the local orthodontist and he said I am able to fix my teeth with invisalign and that it will take about a year.

I asked the dentist what I needed to do to get cleared for invisalign and they kinda just gave me a bunch of forms stating the ortho treatment can't interfere with flying and I'll have to remove it if I am deployed for more than 4 months. It seems like they don't really apply to invisalign at all (and are regarding metal non-removable braces), but I suppose I'll get those signed and returned to the dentist.

I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on the other administrative stuff I'll have to deal with when I'm doing invisalign. Besides getting checked off with the dentist do I need to get anything checked off with the flight doc before getting this thing underway? Will I really have to check in the flight doc, get DNIF'd and un-DNIF'd every time I visit my orthodontist for a new retainer (every two weeks)?

If anyone else has received invisalign treatment and wouldn't mind filling me in on all of the administrative stuff I need to take care of I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
Guest timewilltell

Thread Revival ...

I have braces and am going to Wright Patt for my FC1 in a month...do I need to get them off before then?? Would it be OK to have my orthodontist write a note saying that they will be off before I commission? I want to make sure all of my bases are covered before I get there.

I'm no flight doc, but you should be fine given you can close your mouth, wear a flight mask, and they do not impede your speech. I know several people who have been FC1 approved with braces.

You could always call them and ask if you are uncertain.

• 8 months later...

Hello

I have an issue. Right now i'm processing to enlist in the Air Force, but I have braces on my teeth. I got them put on in November 2011. Now I'm preparing to go to MEPS, but apparently taking them off prematurely is DQ'ing. I obviously don't want to wait another year, and my orthodontist's won't put in writing that "the treatment will be completed" because it's not.

I was hoping someone would have a definitive answer to how I can circumvent this rule. perhaps by taking them off now, before I even go to MEPS. Any help would be appreciated, my recruiter is stuck too.

Hello

I have an issue. Right now i'm processing to enlist in the Air Force, but I have braces on my teeth. I got them put on in November 2011. Now I'm preparing to go to MEPS, but apparently taking them off prematurely is DQ'ing. I obviously don't want to wait another year, and my orthodontist's won't put in writing that "the treatment will be completed" because it's not.

I was hoping someone would have a definitive answer to how I can circumvent this rule. perhaps by taking them off now, before I even go to MEPS. Any help would be appreciated, my recruiter is stuck too.

vicegrip.jpg

• Upvote 1

I just got word that my paper-work went through so i'm good with the braces. I considered removing them myself pretty seriously, until I figured out that wouldn't help my case at all. I had a fork all picked out and everything [insert crazy person smiley face].

• 2 months later...

So what's the latest on Invisaline and flight status? It seems my crowding is getting worse and I'm not getting any younger. Anyone dealt with this recently? Any random DNIFs or 6-9 extra on-base dentist visits?