Valsalva questions

Guest bear

What do you do if you are having trouble clearing your ears while at Brooks. Also, how can they tell that you can clear your ears?

Originally posted by W.E.S.:

Also, how can they tell that you can clear your ears?

When the doc sticks the little light with that black cone on the end (sorry docs for my lack of medical jargon) in your ear, they can see the inner parts of the ear and whether or not they move when you 'blow' during your valsalva.

They're not looking at your brain!

Hoser

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Navtastic

After digging through old posts, this is the closest I can find to my present problem. I've been DNIF off and on since Thanksgiving for sinus problems. The flight docs have thrown every pill in the inventory (Entex, Claritin, Flonase, Pseudoephedrine and three rounds of antibiotics) at me to try to resolve the prob, but I've only been able to come off DNIF for about a week to 10 days at a time before having a really uncomfortable flight and having to go back to DNIF status again. I've had X-rays taken of my sinuses, a CT scan done, and am now seeing an ENT off base (who has now put me on predinisone and a Levaquin). A few days ago, my left eardrum ruptured, and I'm now in a high state of tweakitude. I'm starting to wonder how much longer I have before they boot me off the flight deck. How hosed am I?

Edit: I forgot to mention that the ENT wants to put PE tubes in my ears. Is this a no-no?

[ 06. March 2006, 20:37: Message edited by: Navtastic ]

• 2 years later...
Guest markkyle66
ENT = Ear, NOSE, and Throat.

What he can do depends on what is wrong. I would have him check with the flight docs again next drill and see if this persists. Temporarily not being able to VS is common. Colds, allergies, etc can be the cause. If he truely cannont VS that may be a problem depending on why. That's probably where I would have him checked out by an ENT.

Hi, I have a related question I wanted to ask for my brother. He's suffered from a minor cold/congestion and is about to undergo a flight phys at Navy OCS...problem is he is having trouble with valsalva and achieving the movement the doctor is looking in one of his ears when he trys to pop them. He doesn't really have sinus allergies or scarring,etc... It's my undestanding that he will do some testing at an altitude chamber if he has more trouble. I believe he was given some nasonex. Anyways is there anything he should know if he ends up having to go to an altitude chamber? What exactly do the flight surgeons look for there? Just trying to help him out and keep him informed/prepared should he end up in that situation.

Thanks!

• 3 years later...

Doc's (and all)

I was recently on a chamber ride (ROTC) when I ran into some problems clearing my ears. Before the flight, the briefer was making sure we could all hear a "pop"when we performed the valsalva. I said I didn't, but I could feel some sort of pressure in my ears which was good enough for them. On the final descent I was having trouble clearing them, and the VS definitely didn't seem to be helping. Swallowing would relieve the pressure for a second, but it was still a struggle -- I ended up bruising my ear drums pretty nicely.

Since then, I have been trying my hardest to get that "pop" when I practice the VS, but it still is nothing more than some pressure (most of the time). If I plug my nose and swallow, I sometimes get a "poomf" and a little dampening of the sound and it all goes back to normal after a quick swallow or yawn... is this what I'm supposed to be getting when I VS?

I'm just a little nervous because I have my FC1 coming up, and I don't know if I can give the Doc what he wants when I'm asked to VS. On top of that, I never want to experience the amount of pain and near-rupture that I did on that descent again.

I've done a tone of reading up on the subject since then, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with it, so and help and advice is greatly appreciated! I also read about the Ear Planes ear plugs that are supposed to help regulate the air pressure... any idea about these?

Like I said, any and all advice is welcome!

SDA

Edited by SDA69

To answer the OP's question about combat edge mask's..

There is actually a device built into the mask that allows you to valsalva without holding your nose. The circular disk on the opposite side of the hose is actually a valve that you can press down (towards your face) and will shut off the exhale valve, thus causing the mask to build up pressure and allow you to equalize without holding your nose.

But i bet 90% of peeps don't even know it can do that, because most people just wiggle their jaw or somesuch thing.. :) cheers!